Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My job as: A secondary school teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Hi I was just wondering...I really want to become a biology teacher so I have been looking at the degrees in NUIM and UL. Would it be really hard for someone who hasn't done chemistry for the LC to become a biology and chemistry teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Planning on doing Science Education in Maynooth. People have asked this many times apparently, and the woman at the open day said there's no need to worry. They start from scratch. But if you want to keep it on, you'd probably want to work hard on it in first year.

I have no physics, but they're starting that from scratch too. No need to worry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I've been looking at Science Ed too. I've done LC Chemistry and Biology and I don't want to frighten you but make sure you check out what Chemistry is actually like- at Leaving Cert level anyway it's completely different to Biology and there is some Maths involved in calculations, etc. It's interesting, but not in the same way as Biology (for me anyway) and I find I have to force myself to study it more, to learn off reagents, indicators and stuff off by heart. Like I said, not trying to freak you out but just try to learn a bit about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

*bump d bump*

Hello everyone!

Do you need to have higher level irish for second level teaching as is with the primary teaching?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you need to have higher level irish for second level teaching as is with the primary teaching?

No you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NathanOR

I was just wondering, how do you know what subjects to pick? I mean I would honestly teach everything if I could! I would love to teach a Business subject, a Maths subject, a Language, a Science subject. I just can't choose!! How did you guys pick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

What I learned from teaching in a few messer classes is not to fight against it the more you grit your teeth the harder it will be, I think they can sense if you feel uncomfortable and are just waiting to catch you out, just don't let it make your work miserable.

I had banter with them back but at a certain limit I would always stop so they know they can come in have a laugh have a chat but when I say come on now lads we're doing this when we have this done you can do that and kept changing things up.

I don't think you can ignore or try and fully change those students but you can improve *on them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NathanOR wrote: »
    I was just wondering, how do you know what subjects to pick? I mean I would honestly teach everything if I could! I would love to teach a Business subject, a Maths subject, a Language, a Science subject. I just can't choose!! How did you guys pick? :)

You have to have a degree in anything you are teaching, so what degree you do usually decides it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NathanOR

Oh ya I know that but I'd pick my degree on what i'd like to teach when Im done... Id like to teach something like Irish, Maths, Physics or Chemistry. But my problem would be that I'd have to do a science degree for P & C and Irish wont be involved then! :O grrrr... I just don't know! :P

NathanOR wrote: »
    Oh ya I know that but I'd pick my degree on what i'd like to teach when Im done... Id like to teach something like Irish, Maths, Physics or Chemistry. But my problem would be that I'd have to do a science degree for P & C and Irish wont be involved then! :O grrrr... I just don't know! :P

You could aim to teach in a Gaelscoil, or just keep studying Irish because you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 PerfectPink

Hi There :)
    I've just accepted the HDip in UCD for September!!

I have three questions that I hope you can help me with...

1. I studied Geography and Economics as a joint major in UCD and am wondering which will be my first special methods subject and which will be my second when it comes to teaching or can I choose? It seems when you do teaching practice you have to teach more classes for the first special methods subject.

2. Can I just teach Economics, Geogrphy and then Business Studies as far as Junior Cert level?

3. How do I go about getting TP? Do you just send emails requesting a place, is a CV needed?

Thanks a million! Any help would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

I got mine in UCC without ever really thinking I'd be offered a place. Must start looking for schools now. I presume we must send out emails and then bring a cv to interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

To get TP just send out CVs or hand them into schools. Do it as soon as possible though because places full up fast.

You'll be far more likely to get a TP place by calling into schools in person.

Don't ignore what some see as 'bad' schools, it's often a placement that will stand to you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delta Alpha

we were sent out a list of schools within a 30 mile radius of our college and details including an email address for the principles. Im going to go that route id say, lucky for me I live close to the college and went to school locally. Would be pretty awkward going back doing tp there though. Anyone done this and if so, how did he get on? Was it awkward?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I knew from an early age I want to get into teaching but I'm just wondering where would you go forward from it? Like after you have done a good few years of teaching, where would you go? I know Deputy Principal or Principal even is generally what people say but what else could you go do? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

we were sent out a list of schools within a 30 mile radius of our college and details including an email address for the principles. Im going to go that route id say, lucky for me I live close to the college and went to school locally. Would be pretty awkward going back doing tp there though. Anyone done this and if so, how did he get on? Was it awkward?

My PE teacher this year (still in college but is doing teaching experience) went to our school a few years before hand. She said it was actually nearly better she got to come back because she knew some of the teachers and how most of the school was run! Also, As far as I know, might be a rumour , must ask her, but she has supposedly been asked to stay on after her course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamulay

spurious wrote: »
    You'll be far more likely to get a TP place by calling into schools in person.

Don't ignore what some see as 'bad' schools, it's often a placement that will stand to you anywhere.

When you say bad schools, do you mean deis?

seamulay wrote: »

I mean schools that some people see as 'bad' and dismiss as ones to do teaching practice in. Schools in areas of high levels of social housing and anti-social behaviour, schools which are the ones who take people expelled from elsewhere, schools which have a large number of international students and children with special needs. In my opinion they are the best place to learn about teaching and what goes on in education in Ireland.

Even within DEIS there is a huge variety of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamulay

seamulay wrote: »

I mean schools that some people see as 'bad' and dismiss as ones to do teaching practice in. Schools in areas of high levels of social housing and anti-social behaviour, schools which are the ones who take people expelled from elsewhere, schools which have a large number of international students and children with special needs. In my opinion they are the best place to learn about teaching and what goes on in education in Ireland.

Even within DEIS there is a huge variety of schools.

The school I completed my first Tp in was very multi cultured and large number of SEN. I think with the other things you mentioned, the problem students teachers are afraid of is behaviour management and students acting up when you have so many inspections. I, personally would be wary that it would just be crowd control in classrooms rather than teaching when an inspector is grading you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Hi all,

Is it ok to email the schools with your cover letter and CV and then post them a hard copy also? I don't want to send emails if it is very informal! :o

Winnieme12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is it ok to email the schools with your cover letter and CV and then post them a hard copy also? I don't want to send emails if it is very informal! :o

I would email lots of schools, then also send a hard copy to the ones you are really considering and make an appointment and call in to the ones you would really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

From my experience, it's harder to do your TP in most DEIS schools as there are behavioural issues etc...
    However...if you want a job after the Dip go for it. You learn how to really teach. Again, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

I would email lots of schools, then also send a hard copy to the ones you are really considering and make an appointment and call in to the ones you would really like.

Ok thanks Spurious! I have emailed schools this morning with CV and cover letter attached and have printed them all out to send to the schools I am really interested in. Thanks for that :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 Clo1995

Hi all,

Im thinking about doing Secondary Teaching after school.

Ive talked to my schools guidance councelor who really just confused me, Ive an interest in French and History, Is it possible to qualify to teach both as they are an unusual combination? I'm thinking about Irish either but i'm still not sure. Does any college provide a course for French and History?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Arts is your best option, a good few colleges allow you to do French and History through Arts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Achtung!

I am doing Geography and History in college and I have 20 credits of History and 40 of Geography. I didn't think I could become a secondary teacher because it wasn't a joint degree but I emailed the teaching council and they said "In order to register to teach a subject you must have studied it to degree level. Also the subject must be at least 30% of your degree for each year of your degree." So 20 credits is 33% of 60 credits each year.. does this mean I can teach it?? I was always led to believe I couldn't do second level so now its kinda exciting that I can and I don't want to get too excited before finding out that I cant do it! Also.. Is it hard to get into the H Dip? What are they looking for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Does anybody know about where you can do Geography and Music or maybe PE in Ireland? Don't know about the combination!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Does anybody know about where you can do Geography and Music or maybe PE in Ireland? Don't know about the combination!

UL has a PE and Geography teaching degree! Google LM090 and you'll see it! Points were 495 last year though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Hi, does anybody know if there is a course in WIT in waterford for second level teaching? Or an arts degree? I can't find it out or on the Internet. Even a link to the courses in WIT would be much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement