Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My job as: A secondary school teacher

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Hi, does anybody know if there is a course in WIT in waterford for second level teaching? Or an arts degree? I can't find it out or on the Internet. Even a link to the courses in WIT would be much appreciated. Thanks

Lots of courses in WIT can lead to teaching with a H.Dip, but there isn't any specific teaching degrees in Waterford. There's an arts degree on offer there, but a very very limited subject choice within it (basically languages, sociology and religion.).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eoinseoighe12

Hi there,

I am in LC year and I really want to be a secondary school teacher.

My first choice course is TSM Modern Irish & French in Trinity. If anyone out there has done this combination and may have gone onto teaching what do you think?

Also, job prospects.... I was talking to both my French and Irish teachers and both of them made an emphasis about the high demand for Irish teachers and there are "ample" jobs for Irish in comparison to any other subjects.

Also, I am kind of banking on all of the new second level schools to be built between now and 2017... will there be a good spin off of jobs as a result of all of these new schools for new graduates?

With regard to the PGDE, what is the whole process for applying to do it.... when do you apply, are there interviews involved, does having done voluntary teaching in schools and your chosen subjects help you in getting a place on the PGDE?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Hi guys,

I'm swaying back and forth between being a secondary school teacher and medicinal chemist and drug developer. I figured if I do medicinal chemistry in TCD (my first choice) or chemical and pharm in DCU (second/third choice), then I could still end up being either at the end, and I'd just decide then whether to do a Medicinal Chemistry PhD (or some sort like that) or a PGE for teaching Chemistry.

Thing is, with DCU you can change into Science Education from Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science (not sure on how easy it is, but they told me at the open day it's doable), which will qualify me to teach Chemistry and Maths (which I want to teach). But the C and P doesn't seem like it would lead to me being a medicinal chemist, even though at the open day they said thats exactly what their students are made for. If I do that and do transfer to Science Ed, I don't need another degree after, which is grand. But M.C. in Trinity and C and P in DCU are only good for Chemistry (and I need a PGE after).

I want to design drugs and try make a difference. I dream of working in a lab, like in cancer research, tackling problems and logically figuring out what's going on and trying to fix it (or doing something with radioactivity!). I love the theory of Chemistry, and putting it to use. I want to make something useful, or just put together the pieces of the jigsaw and figure out how to stop a disease or infection.

I also dream of being just like my teachers for Chemistry and Maths. They both motivate me so much (one is the most amazing teacher any of us has ever had so I want to teach like them, and the other is so rubbish that she makes me want to teach the class). I teach my friends the maths sometimes, if they aren't getting it or missed a class, and I really enjoy it!

I'm just afraid that I'll make the wrong decision, and end up unhappy, regretful and jobless!

So does anyone have any advice? Also, I've been searching like mad and can't find this out. If I were to do the non-teaching undergrad courses, would I require another undergrad for maths, or can I take an evening course somewhere?

Thanks very much for reading anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jobs in teaching are very rare these days. There are thousands of unemployed, fully qualified teachers. Any new schools that will be built will have thousands of applicants. Our school recently had over 200 applicants for a 4 hour Chemistry teaching position. 4 hours a week and still that many people applied.

At the moment, most people end up doing 8-10 years on small numbers of hours. In our school we would have a number of teachers in their late 20s still on less than 14 hours a week. Not great after the bother and expense they went to to train.

That said, if you could get a high standard of Irish that's a good subject for finding hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've a question about teaching qualifications. I understand that if you get qualified to become a teacher, in Maths for example, in Ireland you can become qualified as a teacher in the UK too, but are you able to become qualified and apply for teaching jobs in other countries without going to college in that country? Such as the States, Canada, Australia, Japan, France or even some Third World Countries like China, Brazil, Korea, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Just a thanks for the post OP.

I'm in 1st year Arts in Mary Immaculate Limerick. I'm hoping to do Irish and English to degree and eventually teach them. You are where I want to be in a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Francesp1996

I have just complted my BA in English and History and I'm taking a year out before I do my PME. I was wondering has anyone else done this? and if you have did you try and get experience in a school?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I have just complted my BA in English and History and I'm taking a year out before I do my PME. I was wondering has anyone else done this? and if you have did you try and get experience in a school?

People may have done this in the past (I did) but it's getting much harder with the need for a teaching council number. You might get experience teaching TEFL if you do a course in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dory wrote: »
    People may have done this in the past (I did) but it's getting much harder with the need for a teaching council number. You might get experience teaching TEFL if you do a course in that.

+1 on this. You can only work unqualified for a maximum of five days and the school have no other choice but to use an unqualified person - this has to be proven, if challenged by a fully qualified teacher. You would only pick up a small amount of subbing as essentially you are a risk. Also, the Teaching Council may not vett you as you are not a teacher and you can't enter a school without Garda Vetting end of. Just because you're considering becoming a teacher - doesn't make you one - it's not as easy as it seems and subbing is even tougher because the students know you're a sub and will run amok and you have no experience dealing with behaviour.

Advertisement