Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband in oulart

Options
  • 07-11-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I live in oulart my broadband speed is very slow. I am on 3 mb I did a speedtest it was 274 kbs it should be around 2500kbs Have any one eles have the same

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I'm signed-up to 7.6 MB Business Lite, that's the maximum you're likely or it's possible to get.
    Regular do Speedtest & have gotten 79KbPs on some occasions.
    Rarely anything approching what it should be.
    The terms & conditions will allude to this depending on factors such as distance from exchange, time of day or night (how many people are using it at any one time) etc.
    Dunno if Eircon or Other ISPs offer a Guaranteed Minimum Speed which would be more realistic.
    If not, then it's hard to pull them up on it.

Not shure dis be de right forum for topic. Ondly Wexford link is Oulart. Might be worth moving. OP, I'd sudgest you check out Broadband Forum elsewhere on Boards & Eircon will be getting a regular bashing so you is not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

you think you've got problems? at least eircom can supply you with some type of service, slack as it may be. things are even worse in the ballagh

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

nickc wrote: »
    I live in oulart my broadband speed is very slow. I am on 3 mb I did a speedtest it was 274 kbs it should be around 2500kbs Have any one eles have the same

Had 7mb with eircom just outside ross, several speed tests later, was only getting 2.5mb. Rang them to complain, all they could/would do was chop me back to 3mb, no refund/rebate etc.

Eircom- "obviously your line isnt equipped to handle 7mb"

You'd imagine they should test line before they put their hands into your pockets.

This new WiMax from Imagine is looking like full national coverage, whenever it comes online. I do know that they are seeking expressions of interest from communities who might be interested in an early roll out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Have been using Eircom broadband in The Ballagh for years and it's always been perfectly adequate, almost always get above average speeds. Have never experienced a slow connection.

You do understand that the location of your house has a huge effect on the speed of your Broadband which is obviously nothing to do with Eircom.

Also the spec of your machine will effect the speed at which Web pages will open.

wexfjord wrote: »

This new WiMax from Imagine is looking like full national coverage, whenever it comes online. I do know that they are seeking expressions of interest from communities who might be interested in an early roll out.

Ps I dont work for imagine but they already have some coverage in wexford with 7mb for E15 a month and no line rental.

Looks like a good offering if they can deliver all that they promise, no harm to look at imagine.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

wexfjord wrote: »
    Ps I dont work for imagine but they already have some coverage in wexford with 7mb for E15 a month and no line rental.

Looks like a good offering if they can deliver all that they promise, no harm to look at imagine.ie

You might want to read this thread before rushing to get Wimax.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982&highlight=wimax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nickc

I rang eircom told me there is a problems at exchange will fix it in 6 weeks got refund of 90 euors wait see

bmaxi wrote: »
    You might want to read this thread before rushing to get Wimax.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982&highlight=wimax

Didnt quite have it in me to read the whole thread but it does seem a little negative. Given that alot of the posts predate the release of pricing and tech. data they are invalid at this stage. Would like to see some posts from end users.... I wont be rushing out to buy as i aint got coverage.

Would be nice to see it working given the industry backing they've received, maybe they're all in it for the money though. Would have my own reservations about Imagine given their previous telephone offerings and I'm led to believe they are also involved with Gaelic telecom which has some watery charitable donation scheme.

Wait and see, was only offering it as a possible future alternative. Pricing differs between their press release to sunday business post and their own website which was a little worrying.

Well done to nickc^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

We are in the Ballagh and have been using eircom broadband for ages but have had problems lately. Currently in the process of switching to Vodafone which promises to be faster and is also way cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TonyFaleo

Actually, your broadband speed is about right. If your broadband speed was at 2500Kb/s I would be your new best friend. 3Mb broadband should run at a max speed of 384 Kb/s a second. At a guess, I think it is the lowercase "b" you are misinterpreting, it means bits, not bytes which is a "B". And taking for granted that there is 8 bits in a byte, you have 3072/8 bytes /s running at a maximum in your line. However perfect conditions are that there is no signal difficulties in your line, which depends on your distance from your local switch, and your contention ratio{How many people you share your line with} for your line, which for yours I am of the understanding that it is 12{low in comparison to many other packages}. To be honest, at that rate you are lucky to be getting over 200, and at that rate, you are lucky to have broadband at all, as not all of Oulart can even get proper broadband, so don't moan so much. And P.S, next time you buy something, do some research first and check if it is what you think it is, or consult someone who knows something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Lucky you have that much! I live in The Ballagh across the hill from yous and my line will not get more than 1 Mbit (100 KB/s). Ballagh network is connected to exchange in oulart and it is about 3 miles away (maximum for DSL on copper wire) so we're lucky to have broadband here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drinksbud

I am about 3km from the Oulart exchange. I was talking to an Eircom tech yesterday and he said that the exchange only has an 8meg coaxial connection at the moment and that they are sorting it out within weeks. I have had a 3meg connecton since the exchange was enabled and connection speeds have been good until recently. The contention seems to be dragging everyone down. During peek times speeds can be slower than dialup. I just upgraded to 7.6meg but it makes no difference during peek hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Imaigne wimax broadband is now available in wexford, ill be getting it myself so ill wait and see what its like, im guessing good though

Advertisement