Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door lock broken - door locked!

Options
  • 07-11-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

My front door is UPVC with what I think is called a 5 point locking system. When I tried to open the door today the handle did not open the 5 point locking system. I took off the handle and can now see that the part of the lock that the bar runs through is broken. I've tried putting larger objects in to try and open it but it hasn't worked.

My next plan of attack is the hinges.
    If I take the door off the hinges will this allow me to get the door open so that I can replace the lock? I'm assuming I can take it off the hinges but wont start until the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Grand but if you take the hindges off the the door open how are you going to close it again.;);) I would leave it closed. This has happened to a few people just search it. Buy the new mechanism first then take the door off. That way you can do all the work at once.

Not to sure where your living but my brother works at this he lives in ashbourne if you want his number to see if he will do it as a nixer PM me. He might even advise you what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I need to get the lock out so that I can bring it to a locksmith/DIY centre and get an exact replacement.
    So I need to know that even though the door is locked will I be able to get it open by taking it off the hinges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i tried to naw off the barrel once by drilling. took ages. but got it out in the end.

hinges sound like a better way forward.

if its the barrel, measure the length of it before you set out to choose a new one. there are a few different lengths available. Would be a pain to pick the wrong one.

there is a 50-70mm brass screw keeping the lock in the door. Its only accessible when the door is open. Once screw taken out the lock should be turned 1/4 and pull. barrel will slide right out.

the hinges can be tricky to pop. If its the type with the pin dropped in from the top. you need a drift of some kind to tap the pin up and right through the hinge. wd40 helps .

hope all goes well for ya:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dazzy wrote: »
    I need to get the lock out so that I can bring it to a locksmith/DIY centre and get an exact replacement.
    So I need to know that even though the door is locked will I be able to get it open by taking it off the hinges?

My apologies. Yes you can take the door off once you have access to the hindges. Its a common way its done and exactly what my neighbour done the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Thanks Joey. I will start on the hinges first thing tomorrow. Fingers crossed it goes to plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement