Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hatching

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seillejet wrote: »
    Thought this was an intesting and well put together article that plays on our nostalgia. Were you a hatcher. Personally I wasnt but had at times a grudging respect for the cynicism involved.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/inzaghi-the-hatcher-last-of-dying-breed-1930745.html
    As a goalkeeper I fcking hate hatchers :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Scum of the highest order :pac:

The only thing to counter a hatcher was a hatchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

What a celebration though

inzaghipz4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

heh! I haven't heard that word for so long.

world cup king

3 n in

hatch master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Was a massive hatcher in both GAA and football and modelled myself on Pippo. Would just walk around for a while making myself out to be no threat and then pounce during opportune moments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

why the f*ck wouldn't you hatch?

f*cking great it was.

no work, and all the glory.

until i woke up one day and realised i had no friends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

SlickRic wrote: »
    why the f*ck wouldn't you hatch?

f*cking great it was.

no work, and all the glory.

until i woke up one day and realised i had no friends...

The trick to that was talking to the keeper while leaning on the post. All the glory and a friend for life

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The trick to that was talking to the keeper while leaning on the post. All the glory and a friend for life

We secretly hate you, tapping it after we save it, ruining our moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Every world cup doubles team needed one guy who was skillfull and willing to run alot and one hatcher to be perfectly balanced. I was very much in the hatcher mould :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yup, I was a hatcher.

We had a box where you could not shoot inside, I stayed on the line :pac:

Also used to love scoring goals, when it was deflected off me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a centre half I hated hatchers as a kid. You would think they were in your back pocket all game then......Pow! Right in the kisser. Bastards.

I do love Pippo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I was a hatcher, and a good one at that, we had a lunch-time 5-a side league in 6th class. Our team came last, but I still scored 6 goals in 6 games, including a hat-trick.:D
    Our team only scored 7 goals altogether.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Linekar was the ultimate hatcher.

In college we had an unreal hatcher upfront for us, only touched the ball when he was putting it in the back of the net and then celebrated his goals witha double somersault. Loved having him on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I was a wierd one, despite being a defender (i usually played right back) i was also a "hatcher" or poacher as we knew it.

I was the one who was always told to get on the keeper by managers, pulling the hairs on the back of his legs was a favourite of mine. Or holding on to his shorts at the bottom...90% of the time it stopped him from jumping!

I hated and loved it at the same time.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I was a hatcher, and a good one at that, we had a lunch-time 5-a side league in 6th class. Our team came last, but I still scored 6 goals in 6 games, including a hat-trick.:D
    Our team only scored 7 goals altogether.:)
    Seeing as how one fifth of the team was standing there doing nothing, maybe that's why you lost :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"Goal hanger" was the term we used to use for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Never heard of goal hanger and agree about Lineker being a fantastic hatcher by previous poster. A lost art :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

flahavaj wrote: »
    "Goal hanger" was the term we used to use for this.

That's what I know it as. Hatcher?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

The ultimate hatcher was Gerd Muller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Haven't hear that term in years. Did my fair share of hatching when playing outfield, sure all that running around can't be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Same god years since i heard that...Back when there was no offside..Haha god thinking back amount of arguements about whether it was over the bar or not cause we were using jumpers as goal posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

thegen wrote: »
    The ultimate hatcher was Gerd Muller.

No he was not. He was a striker who rarely scored from outside the box but he was not a hatcher (or 'Abstauber' in his language).

For me he is the most unbelievable and best ever striker.

Did you know when he played junior football he scored at the age of 16 just under 200 goals in one season?

Advertisement