Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash mob Cork city- 14th nov 1.30 pm St.pats street

Options
  • 07-11-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

FOR WHAT? A flash mob to celebrate the arts in Cork.

WHEN IS IT HAPPENING? Saturday 14th Nov. at 1.30pm

WHERE IS IT HAPPENING? Patrick’s Street, Cork

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST? Around 3.5 minutes

WHY? To stand up (and dance a little) for the arts.
    And to bring fun and bewilderment to Patrick’s Street punters.

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO TAKE PART?
    You need to come to two rehearsals at the newly revamped Savoy Theatre, Patrick’s Street on
    Wednesday 11th November, 7.30pm - 9.30pm and
    Saturday 14th November, 10.30am

Then LET MR. BLUE SKY IN at 1.30pm!

Well as it says theres a flash mob being organised for the 14th of november. Definately going to do this. Should be a good craic.Hopefully a good crowd will turn up.

more info here
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=170950027434&ref=nf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Aw great, there's loads of this kind of stuff on youtube.

I'll have to try and get as many of my college class mates to go.

Here's and MC Hammer Flash Mob:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A flash mob with rehearsals? Only in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Showing my age now as I had to google what a flash mob is, wish I could be there to see it but I'll be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Cool, that's on my birthday :D

I will watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

dahamsta wrote: »

Well it depends on what sort of flash mob u are running. If its a giant pillow fight then just tell people to turn up and do whatever but like in the video posted above a dance might take a bit of rehersal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

mudokon wrote: »
    Showing my age now as I had to google what a flash mob is, wish I could be there to see it but I'll be working.

Me too! Watched the you tube clip there, that looks like great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

sheeeeeeet, found out too late and missed the rehersal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Samurai wrote: »
    sheeeeeeet, found out too late and missed the rehersal!

Er, its on this wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

But the rehearsals aren't until Wednesday, and Sat morning?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Sam's just keeping you boys on your toes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

murphym7 wrote: »
    Me too! Watched the you tube clip there, that looks like great craic.

At least I'm not alone in that :), That hammertime one is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 corkant

t'was great fun!

I only heard about it last night so I turned up and just joined in. Only a couple dozen people danced but it was a fantastic feeling!

a video from the flash mob

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Looks like fun, I could hear it down by Daunt's Square.
    Kold wrote: »
    Meh.

That's the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

corkant wrote: »
    Only a couple dozen people danced

There were loads at the other side of the road down by Gentlemans Quarters! LOADS LIKE!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

i was over by gentleman's quarters too (dancing in it) and there were hundreds dancing, felt so great! it'll be up on youtube later this evening we were told

Kold wrote: »
    Meh.

Some people just don't know what having a laugh is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

corkant wrote: »
    Some people just don't know what having a laugh is!
    Don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

I'm so glad I took part in this :) Was the most fun I've had in a while. Everyone was enjoying themselves so much. I was in group 8 (woo for group 8) outside Opera Lane. There was definately at least 100 people from gentlemans quarters down to the moderne I'd say. Cant wait to see videos of it :) It was so cool to see everyones hands in the air at the end. Well done to everyone involved!

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    There were loads at the other side of the road down by Gentlemans Quarters! LOADS LIKE!

I just saw the Red FM youtube vid and I can see all the others over the other side of the road! Brilliant fun... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5bOjT73XU

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-088_m_RA from another angle...

What a way to pass a Saturday afternoon couple of minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Yeah twas pretty wicked, we ran outta work to see them lol. Two of the people I work with were in it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It looked like people gave it a right go. Not y cup of tea but fair play to them for going out & having laugh. People take themselves far too seriously.

The camera work is terrible though on the youtube videos! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

To be honest i think it was just great to see so many people out together as one,having a bit of fun and putting smile on people faces. During the time of this reccession its not a lot that you get to see so many of all ages having a bit of fun and forgetting all the problems that are around.

Fair play to all who organised it and all that took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

TBH, It's not exactly a flashmob.

In a true flash mob it will surprize people around the place.

They were all waiting around for it to happen.

Far too organised IMO.

Looked fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

dahamsta wrote: »

The original flash mobs had them too Adam.,

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

In Fairness that was a load of Billix. A flash mob arrives in a flash and leaves in a flash!! As dahamsta said Only in Ireland.. LOFL The f is for Fukcing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I would agree having seen the amount of people just standing around, it was poorly executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I was really disappointed tbh.It was a bit of fun but way to many people knew about it,as in it was advertised way too much!

I went over to see it all excited only to be blocked by tons of people waiting for the event too start,Fromy my and my friends perspective it seemed really small too....and then I saw the videos despite the fact we moved around allot too see it and I didnt know there was half as many people...because off all the people waiting we only saw a fraction of it.DOnt get me wrong it was good but the idea of a flash mob is that its sudden and unexpected to the general public,not with a huge crowed of people jsut standing around.

mhhh I wonder if we could organise a flash pillow fight or lightsaber fight which I read about last night heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Hmm, frankly I’m not entirely sure what I want to say here. I suppose first of all I did enjoy seeing it happen and it certainly was an excuse to get out of the house so in that sense it was a success. At the same time though I can understand where those who were underwhelmed are coming from since from street level it was quite hard to see those who were dancing as opposed to those who were, like myself, just spectators. To be fair I cant think of anywhere in the city where people could have had a higher viewing angle so I wouldn’t blame the organisers for that; after all they had to work with what was available.

Overall though I’m happy it happened and that I got to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Despite all the whining here "Oh, it's not a real flash mob", I had a great time. I'm glad I got involved, and danced.

Only in Cork would you get that begrudgery. If you're *that* stressed about how a flash mob should operate, organise one yourself, otherwise let people enjoy themselves, have fun, and have a little distraction from everyday life.

Advertisement