Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash mob Cork city- 14th nov 1.30 pm St.pats street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

+1

I think that looked like great craic. Way more people dancing outside Gentlemans Quarters than Daunt Square - would liked to see a good video of it. Camera work by Red fm pretty sh!te.

Great to see a random shopper or two giving it a lash too.

Well done to all involved. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Despite all the whining here "Oh, it's not a real flash mob", I had a great time. I'm glad I got involved, and danced.

Only in Cork would you get that begrudgery. If you're *that* stressed about how a flash mob should operate, organise one yourself, otherwise let people enjoy themselves, have fun, and have a little distraction from everyday life.

TBH I think your the worst whiner here,and seeing as I was the only person that really complained,despite complimenting it greatly you should really think before talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Seloth wrote: »
    I was the only person that really complained,despite complimenting it greatly you should really think before talking.

Okay, well pot kettle black and all that. You were the only one? (Apologies to the rest of the users I'm quoting now, it's not meant to be a jibe at you guys). Thanks though, next time I'll make sure to think in case I upset you.
    dahamsta wrote:
    A flash mob with rehearsals? Only in Ireland
    kold wrote:
    Meh
    TBH, It's not exactly a flashmob.
    In a true flash mob it will surprize people around the place.
    They were all waiting around for it to happen.
    Far too organised IMO
    In Fairness that was a load of Billix. A flash mob arrives in a flash and leaves in a flash!! As dahamsta said Only in Ireland.. LOFL The f is for Fukcing
    I would agree having seen the amount of people just standing around, it was poorly executed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

It did look quite good fun however I agree with some of the posts on here though.

After watching the MC Hammer flash mob vid in this thread, half of the fun is watching peoples reactions as they are unsure what is going on. That was unlikely to happen in yesterdays one as it was publicised so much.

As this was connected in some way to the march for the arts it was more publicised to get a bigger focus for the march. It reminded me of this video more than a flash mob.

This isnt meant to criticise people who took part/organised it, everybody looked like they had fun from the video. I just feel it would have been better if less people knew to give the surprise factor.

I still wish I could have got in to see it.

I don't think it was a flash mob per sé, but what it has done is opened the door to have proper flash mobs established, and carried out. With the scale of the event, having to hire a PA, rent the Savoy, and place it on forums/facebook - it wasn't going to stay a secret for very long.

The people running the event were probably more concerned with getting a good turn out instead of keeping it hush hush and having a handful of people - and fair play to them for making sure it was a success as the slight expense of a bit of secrecy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was in town at that very time yesterday - either I was completely oblivious to it or it wasn't that impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm sorry to have missed this, I was off at something else.
    It might not have met the definition of flash mob, but it looks like a cool art project, and is just the sort of thing I'd like to see more of in Cork. If I'd seen it in the first place, but you get what I mean.
    Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Holy sh*t, I'm in that last photo! In the green leather jacket behind the little girl, any more photos??

Holy sh*t, I'm in that last photo! In the green leather jacket behind the little girl, any more photos??
    Yep managed to snap a couple dozen decent ones during the dance :)http://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinzac/sets/72157622809166868/

edit: I'm guessing this is you? :D
    4106734048_c36f4f1bf5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Those photos you have do the event more justice than the videos! It looked like there were tons of people involved!
    So what if was not secret or rehearsed it is something that has never happened in Cork before. It would have been a surprise to most that were in town doing the daily shop.

#
    GavinZac wrote: »
    edit: I'm guessing this is you? :D

Dying from a hangover, yes!

It looked like there were tons of people involved!

I'm not sure what the official head count was, at the Wednesday rehearsal they had approx 450 people turn up, plus another 150 or more on Saturday, so somewhere around 600/650 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I don't think it was a flash mob per sé, but what it has done is opened the door to have proper flash mobs established, and carried out. With the scale of the event, having to hire a PA, rent the Savoy, and place it on forums/facebook - it wasn't going to stay a secret for very long.

The people running the event were probably more concerned with getting a good turn out instead of keeping it hush hush and having a handful of people - and fair play to them for making sure it was a success as the slight expense of a bit of secrecy.

When they promoted it as a flash mob on their own facebook site, it gave an impression (to me anyway) that it was going to appear as a spontaneous thing for the majority of people to witness. It's not like they would have less people turn up to participate if they never used the words flash mob.

Ultimately they got what they wanted from it so well done to them. Here's hoping that more proper flash mobs happen around Cork following this.
    Those photos you have do the event more justice than the videos! It looked like there were tons of people involved!
    So what if was not secret or rehearsed it is something that has never happened in Cork before. It would have been a surprise to most that were in town doing the daily shop.

Any flash mob that involved dance would always have to be rehearsed for any semblance of it being an event. So it has never been done in Cork before & it is always good to see new things happening.

I wasnt there but if the posts here are correct then there was a crowd gathered before it was started so it prevented some people from seeing it as well as taking the surprise element away. That may be more to do with Patrick St as a location which has also been mentioned already.

mudokon wrote: »
    I wasnt there but if the posts here are correct then there was a crowd gathered before it was started so it prevented some people from seeing it as well as taking the surprise element away. That may be more to do with Patrick St as a location which has also been mentioned already.
    I think that was mostly a problem outside Brown Thomas as its a 'corner' and people didn't really have anywhere to go. On the opposite sides, people were approaching and joining in from the alleyways, and the longer nature of the area meant it looked more co-ordinated and accomodated more dancers. If it had been entirely focused on this side, I reckon the event would have nearly stretched 'too far' and blocked the exit from Academy St.

mudokon wrote: »
    It's not like they would have less people turn up to participate if they never used the words flash mob.

I think using the words was the sole reason they'd such a turn out. If they'd put up a facebook page saying "Arts rehearsal and street performance" they wouldn't have gotten anything like the response they evoked using the words flash mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utdKjUZz-o0

Some lovely shots of yourself PD :D And a nice way to end the vid too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

If you google 'flash mob sound of music antwerp' and watch the youtube version you'll see how it should be done, however maybe Saturday's effort will encourage more people to do this. Personally, I'd love to see Twist & Shout, as in Ferris Bueller's Day Off......you could do it down one lane of Patrick St behind a vehicle with a PA system, with minimal disruption and Max impact :eek:

Anyone game? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i reckon the next one should involve a bit of air guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1 Most excellent idea! Visions of Bill & Ted.......bring it on! :D

• Advertisement

Max001 wrote: »
    If you google 'flash mob sound of music antwerp' and watch the youtube version you'll see how it should be done, however maybe Saturday's effort will encourage more people to do this. Personally, I'd love to see Twist & Shout, as in Ferris Bueller's Day Off......you could do it down one lane of Patrick St behind a vehicle with a PA system, with minimal disruption and Max impact :eek:

Anyone game? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Once I found a video that was actually worth watching, I bawled my eyes out the whole way through. Cork people are the biz aren't we?

Ooooooh the homesickness :(

Or the chicken dance outside Moynihans in the Market :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Paintdoctor theres a point in that vid and it kinda zooms into you and you get a tad lost ;p

Oops. Well, I did have the mother of all hangovers. I am completely unco-ordinated at the best of times. That's the reason I play instruments, and not dance :)

[EDIT]Just realised why I'm confused, herself had just landed on and was shouting at me. Doh! And for some weird reason, I'm in it right at the end of the Mob, and myself and herself are kissing at the end. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Oops. Well, I did have the mother of all hangovers. I am completely unco-ordinated at the best of times. That's the reason I play instruments, and not dance :)

[EDIT]Just realised why I'm confused, herself had just landed on and was shouting at me. Doh! And for some weird reason, I'm in it right at the end of the Mob, and myself and herself are kissing at the end. Mental.

Awe :p

Well done for takin part anyway. You seemed to be enjoying yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Whoever the guy at the start outside Brown Thomas is, he is giving it loads (c. 1:20). My favorite part of the whole video. Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eslsys

Just think how interesting this would have been if it took place today on the Western Road!! The first under water Flash Mob!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

HOW DID I MISS THIS?
    i was in town that afternoon. what time was it on at?!

Advertisement