Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing old chorus modem with wireless/wired router

• 07-11-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

have been with chorus for my Broadband for years . They provided me with a motorola surfboard modem, great no problems however now i am getting a laptop so would like to be able to wirelessly connect with it .

So do i scrap the modem and replace it with a router that i can connect the desktop to and has wireless so the laptop can connect to.

The current modem is connected to chours with a cable type coaxial connection into the modem and a ethernet wire to the desktop pc .

Can anyone reccomend me a router that i can buy and connect to this cable type connection , and will do wireless and desktop ethernet connection no problem ??
    I do a bit of gaming so i want no issues if possible ,
    Do i need to inform chorus or will it work straight out of box.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

have been with chorus for my Broadband for years . They provided me with a motorola surfboard modem, great no problems however now i am getting a laptop so would like to be able to wirelessly connect with it .

So do i scrap the modem and replace it with a router that i can connect the desktop to and has wireless so the laptop can connect to.

The current modem is connected to chours with a cable type coaxial connection into the modem and a ethernet wire to the desktop pc .

Can anyone reccomend me a router that i can buy and connect to this cable type connection , and will do wireless and desktop ethernet connection no problem ??
    I do a bit of gaming so i want no issues if possible ,
    Do i need to inform chorus or will it work straight out of box.

You can't replace their modem, they use the MAC address to control access to their network. You can add your own router though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

A router and a modem are two different things.

A modem converts the signal coming through the cable connection into a machine readable signal the computer can understand.

A router is used to literally route computer signals among two or more different sources.

In order to set up that wireless network, you literally plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A router and a modem are two different things.

A modem converts the signal coming through the cable connection into a machine readable signal the computer can understand.

A router is used to literally route computer signals among two or more different sources.

In order to set up that wireless network, you literally plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the router.
    Oh ok so keep modem , connect ethernet ot router then buy another cable to pass it on to desktop. Any reccomendations on a router ??? Anyone i dont have a clue about routers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh ok so keep modem , connect ethernet ot router then buy another cable to pass it on to desktop. Any reccomendations on a router ??? Anyone i dont have a clue about routers

I'm not the one to ask really, but i've had nothing but good experience with the linksys WRT series.

does your laptop have wireless N or wirless G? the router you get will depend on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'm not the one to ask really, but i've had nothing but good experience with the linksys WRT series.

does your laptop have wireless N or wirless G? the router you get will depend on that.

I dont have the laptop yet, planning on getting it in next few weeks. I didnt realise there was two differnt wireless standards.
    Ya just browsing on komplett linksys ones stood out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement