Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone networks in US

Options
  • 07-11-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm going to America (San Francisco) for a year. I want to buy a phone with wifi, specifically for Skype (like the Nokia E63), and I'm just wondering what is the best option for me in terms of networks and plans over there?

I know it's easy to go into a shop and ask when I'm there but I just like being prepared :) Any help is appeciated and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, Boards is WAY too big haha :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Verizon has the best coverage by far, shower of pricks though. The iPhone is exclusive to AT&T which has poxy 3G coverage especially in San Fran, haven't had any experiences with T-Mobile or Sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

I have Verizon and it does offer the best coverage but doesn't have a good selection of phones. Sprint offers the same phones as AT&T, as well as T-Mobile but if you're looking for lower price/better phone/better coverage, I'd recommend AT&T!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mymipage

Excellent, thanks for the replies :) Is it better to go bill pay or pre-paid over there? Someone told me that even with Pre-Paid there is still a monthly fee of $50 or something like that. Is that true?

well at&t has pay as you go and pick your plan.. so basically i'd say pick your plan (billing) would be the way to go.. that way, it's just one set fee each month with the texting and calling that you pick instead of you having to reload as you go. my brother works for at&t and said he'd definitely do billing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

The pay as you go there is criminal minimum charge daily , charge for non-use it's a sham to rob poor people. Bill pay is the way to go. Verizon doesn't use sim cards so keep that in mind if you want to bring the phone home with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

artielange wrote: »
    Verizon doesn't use sim cards so keep that in mind if you want to bring the phone home with you.

Verizon uses a different, incompatible system to most of Europe/Asia/Rest of the World. So Verizon phones are useless to you in Ireland.

I think Sprint do also, but I can't be 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM networks, if you want to use the phone here too, then you have to go with one of those companies. Compared to Ireland though every company is robbery in the US, prepay is even worse, it's a disaster.

spideog7 wrote: »
    T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM networks, if you want to use the phone here too, then you have to go with one of those companies. Compared to Ireland though every company is robbery in the US, prepay is even worse, it's a disaster.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

sophie4187 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Definitely, Not being able to RECEIVE calls because you have no credit is ridiculous (well charging people for receiving calls in the first place is ridiculous).

Advertisement