Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which cable to use??????

• 07-11-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey,

I am going to run a SWA cable from a neighbouring shed to my new build. It is approx 350 foot in total. I will have approx 30 x 100 watt bulbs throughout the house for light and a couple of sockets for power tools that will run all together. Could someone please tell me the minimum mm2 cable that i could use to power up this for me. Also could someone tell me where I would find a chart that would give me the different cable sizes and the maximum run/power that the cable could handle.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

first if its a new build should your electrician not be doing this for you?

second unless you know exactly what your running you shouldn't be saying minimun?

i would say between 6 or 10 sq but i still say if you don't have the expertise don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Cheers yea i was thinking 6mm2 myself, i was saying min, as this is a very expensive cable. Its not hard to run a cable now, done it many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

ETCI Regulations have charts for EVERYTHING!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

New build as in a house? 16sq SWA minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

is it a power supply for temporaries while the new build is being constructed?
    if it is then 6mm should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would bring the 230v to edge of site and 110 volt from suitable trafo at this point.
    prob 10sq swa assuming the shed supply is suitable
    No sane sparkie would do lights/power in 230v for insurance reasons etc

Advertisement