Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing for Hearing Babies - Classes?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a 6 month old son and am interested in signing every day words to him so that we can communicate before he can talk. I have a couple of books but would prefer to go to a class - if anything it gets me out of the house whilst on maternity leave!

Is anyone aware of classes in and around Dublin West/Kildare (Palmerstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Celbridge, Leixlip...) preferably utilising ISL?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Are you serious? I have never heard of this before. Will he be able to understand what you are doing? Will this not delay his speech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bonnievon

The aim is that he will understand what I am doing as he associates the sign with the object/action - e.g. showing the sign for milk whilst holding the bottle. It would not delay speech as you still say the words whilst signing and once the child can say the words, there is no need for the signs anymore.

It is common to use 'signs' to babies for phrases like "all gone", "bye bye", etc which they can pick up and seemingly understand before they can speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Bonnievon wrote: »
    The aim is that he will understand what I am doing as he associates the sign with the object/action - e.g. showing the sign for milk whilst holding the bottle. It would not delay speech as you still say the words whilst signing and once the child can say the words, there is no need for the signs anymore.

It is common to use 'signs' to babies for phrases like "all gone", "bye bye", etc which they can pick up and seemingly understand before they can speak.
    That sounds fascinating as an idea and well worth pursuing. It certainly will do no harm to speech development. If anything it will only encourage it, as it is all about learning communication. Some / all kids will certainly develop well by this possible process that you have brought up OP?

Interestingly, and Notably, children in later years diagnosed with / mild /severe autism have to go through this difficult learning process of signing to communicate. A nephew of mine is going through this at the moment. He was only diagnosed later on i.e. 1yr +.

Seemingly it is an arduous process that is working slowly but surely. If he was taught this type of signing that the OP proposed as a means of communication at a v.early age... then maybe the process that he (and more importantly the stressed parents) are going through would be less arduous?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,362 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we did this with ours but just from the books. I dont see any reason to go to a class though. Its well worth doing. At 6mths for instance we had seperate hand signs for milk , water and food. and other signs for the mormal stuff youd see out and about. I can only imagine it lowered stress levels as they were able to communicate

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Bonnievon wrote: »
    I have a 6 month old son and am interested in signing every day words to him so that we can communicate before he can talk. I have a couple of books but would prefer to go to a class - if anything it gets me out of the house whilst on maternity leave!

Is anyone aware of classes in and around Dublin West/Kildare (Palmerstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Celbridge, Leixlip...) preferably utilising ISL?

Thanks

There is an interesting program on on BBC2 at the moment. 'Horizon: Why do we talk'. A cognitive scientist has monitored his own childs development speech wise over time.

It looks v.interesting. It's not exactly about signing. But Certainly worth a watch as a part of understanding to a degree how language / communication works. Worth a look I think for anyone that has an interest in this area. It's on at the moment but I'm sure the BBC make these programs available for watch after the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Baby Sign Language
    Baby Sign-Along classes are designed for pre-verbal hearing babies (between 6 months and 2 ½ years of age)and their parents. Stop the frustration and whining and learn how to communicate with your baby.

6-week classes available.

Contact: Baby Sign-Along, Ltd., 2 Lorcan Park, Santry, Dublin 9, County: Dublin, tel: +353-1-8429358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Baby Sign Language

Baby Sign-Along classes are designed for pre-verbal hearing babies (between 6 months and 2 ½ years of age)and their parents. Stop the frustration and whining and learn how to communicate with your baby. 6-week classes available.

Contact: Baby Sign-Along, Ltd., 2 Lorcan Park, Santry, Dublin 9, County: Dublin, tel: +353-1-8429358

Advertisement