Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think pes10 is good? I'm not sure

Options
  • 08-11-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I played PES09 pretty much everyday for the last year, never got tired of it.

Played pes 10 , think 15 matches, I cant say I enjoy playing it.

Anyone else got an opinion? do you like it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No.

We have bought every pro evo since the first one.

Last year, my brother and I refused to buy FIFA despite the positive reviews and went with our hearts. Played Pro Evo 2009 (I only ever play against people, master league not my cup of tea, brother plays is religiously) pretty solidly for an entire year, had some great matches and it always provided great gameplay. After watching a match, we would always play a game of pro.

Downloaded the demo for PES 2010 and FIFA and I thought that FIFA still wasn't for me. I am so used to the pro evo formula that when I play FIFA I can't string 2 passes together. So, off goes my brother to buy PES and a few hours later we are playing a few games. Why did we get rid of 09, I don't know? The reviews spoke of improvements but this felt worse than 2009, not to mention that the number of "hilariously awful" goals had increased dramatically. In fact, nearly every game a goal seemed to be conceded that would make a non-league footballer blush.

I refused to play anymore and my brother started master league.

This week he has started asking if I think we should trade in the game, a first in I don't know how many years of PES.

I think if you have 2009, stick with it. Unless you like a new box and a "modest" graphical and menu update (bring back talent wheels, I don't like a single integer for rating a player!), it's a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to PES/FIFA forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

PES bites back for me. PES 2010 is Pro Evo the way it should be on the next gen consoles. Graphically it is insanely realistic. I have it on the 360 as well as FIFA 10 and I can safely say PES leaves FIFA on the starting line when it comes to graphics.
    The gameplay is actually different to PES 08 and 09 on the 360, but in a good way. Finally it has slowed down and become more realistic. Players don't glide around the pitch at lightning speed with the ball stuck to them like their boots are coated in glue.
    The game modes have been revamped to make 1 player far more engaging and long lasting. Incorporating the Champions League and Europa League into Master League mode is insipred. The level of detail in Master League now is awesome. I've rekindled my love with PES now that PES 2010 is in my XBox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

yeah playing with friends is good. Playing against the computer/online isnt great imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Master League is so much fun this year... training up youth team players... scouting and actually getting quality players to sign for you is brilliant!!

Loving the new pro evo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Long time pes player. Though the new one was atrocious. Traded it in for FIFA. I have to say it's much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Inititially i was unimpressed with pes2010 but if you get the right formula for your team it is literally incredible. I have been using "norf landon" and playing a 4-5-1 and i am blown away by how good it is in terms of gameplay.
    It took time but this time they have made a crackin game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Really liking it, first time playing online and the button lag is a killer, but the 2 player mode is great and I'm enjoying it alot more than 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

useless ever since next gen console switch... it still has the same gameplay and style it had on the ps2 its pathetic it needs a whole new game engine its miles behind fifa in every way possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

yeah i prefer PES as usual again and i'm selling Fifa on Ebay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

it seems rubbish at first and its hard to get out of the habit of trying to barge through players. its the best version by a mile on the new consoles and online is almost perfect if you avoid people with red connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gameeeze

i love it this year to be honest took me a while to get used to it but love it now master league is brill and if u play a league with a team in the champions league or europa league u can play these matches as well as an premier league.

Brilliant game but takes getting used to so stick with it.

I ahve been a pes fan for years finally it is good again wohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

useless ever since next gen console switch... it still has the same gameplay and style it had on the ps2 its pathetic it needs a whole new game engine its miles behind fifa in every way possible

a sweeping comment there eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This year's PES is definately much better than the truly awful 09, but is still lacking behind FIFA. It's a very good football game but there are still big issues with the game's AI, the over-arcade gameplay and lack of realism. Still, at least is now feels like a football game rather than a pinball simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 captainZZZ

Since the OP I've played a few more games and I'm starting to enjoy pes10, I'll stick with it for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

I like it too apart from a couple of issues namely crap referees and crap penalty system. Otherwise very good and still ahead of FIFA whih I don't like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

yeah it's a better game than Fifa, definatly more enjoyable 2 player as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

mossie wrote: »
    I like it too apart from a couple of issues namely crap referees and crap penalty system. Otherwise very good and still ahead of FIFA whih I don't like at all.

Get yourself on the training pitch and practise penalties. They are very easy to score once you get the hang of it.

I do like PES2010. Imo it s a huge improvement from 09. What annoys me though is the advantage the computer gets. The computer can tackle you from behind and it won't be a free. On thw other hand if I do the same thing then I'll get booked. Frustrating to say the least.

Also it's the first time I've never played on maximum difficulty. Since pes1 i've played it on maximum difficulty. But this game has me playing it on Professional. I'm rubbish on Top Player. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

there's a lot of flaws in Pro 10, but the positives far outweigh the negatives

some of the flaws, the most obvious ones for me

Not being able to take men out of the wall in a free kick. Last year if you wanted you could take out every man out of the wall, by pressing L2 and down (L2 and up added players). This year you can add players but not take them out. For example, last night i conceded a free kick almost next to the corner flag, and when my opponent lined up his free I had three men in the wall. Infuriating.

Your saved formation not loading automatically - Incredibly bloody annoying. You spend ages tinkering with your team, your tactics, making personell changes etc. You save that formation, and play your game. THE VERY NEXT GAME YOU PLAY it's reverted back to default. and when you load it up it doesn't include the personnel change. Really annoying when you're in a heads up session with a mate, you cant just fly straight into a game at the conclusion of the last one, you have to tinker with your formation again. Balls to it. Sort it out Konami.

No "home and away" friendlies. This was in a pro evo a few years ago, and it was brilliant. matches took on a whole new complexion. Loads of fun playing with your mates with this.

Goalkeepers. WTF? If i play a lofted through ball which lands between the centre halves and the keeper, the keeper will run out to edge of his box, and either head it OR LET IT GO PAST HIM JUST FOR THE LAUGH, allowing the striker to tap into an empty net

The commentary.. Its ear piercingly bad.

But then.. you score a thunderbolt with Wayne Rooney on the half volley from 20 yards that he's run on to after an amazing pass from Park that he flicks over his head with his back to rooney that rockets past the keeper who's just rooted to the spot...

and you forget about the flaws and celebrate like it was Italia 90 vs Romania all over again..

THAT's the beauty of this game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Roar wrote: »
    there's a lot of flaws in Pro 10, but the positives far outweigh the negatives

some of the flaws, the most obvious ones for me

Not being able to take men out of the wall in a free kick. Last year if you wanted you could take out every man out of the wall, by pressing L2 and down (L2 and up added players). This year you can add players but not take them out. For example, last night i conceded a free kick almost next to the corner flag, and when my opponent lined up his free I had three men in the wall. Infuriating.

Your saved formation not loading automatically - Incredibly bloody annoying. You spend ages tinkering with your team, your tactics, making personell changes etc. You save that formation, and play your game. THE VERY NEXT GAME YOU PLAY it's reverted back to default. and when you load it up it doesn't include the personnel change. Really annoying when you're in a heads up session with a mate, you cant just fly straight into a game at the conclusion of the last one, you have to tinker with your formation again. Balls to it. Sort it out Konami.

No "home and away" friendlies. This was in a pro evo a few years ago, and it was brilliant. matches took on a whole new complexion. Loads of fun playing with your mates with this.

Goalkeepers. WTF? If i play a lofted through ball which lands between the centre halves and the keeper, the keeper will run out to edge of his box, and either head it OR LET IT GO PAST HIM JUST FOR THE LAUGH, allowing the striker to tap into an empty net

The commentary.. Its ear piercingly bad.

But then.. you score a thunderbolt with Wayne Rooney on the half volley from 20 yards that he's run on to after an amazing pass from Park that he flicks over his head with his back to rooney that rockets past the keeper who's just rooted to the spot...

and you forget about the flaws and celebrate like it was Italia 90 vs Romania all over again..

THAT's the beauty of this game..
    Come on, that's part of the beauty of Pro Evo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I have been playing PES every year since pes2. I have to say i am really enjoying this years master league. I am playing on the second hardest difficulty (as arsenal). For the first half of the season, i was loosing a few games, scraping a few wins/ draws. I was finding it really hard to play the ball around the pitch and score. Now in the second half of the season I am doing alot better. Winning almost all of my games, drawing a few, although Man City knocked me out of the Fa Cup. Its amazing how the game went from really difficult, to alot easier (the joys of practising i guess). I think for my second season in the Master league i have to set it to the top difficulty.

So i think i can create enough different chances to enjoy the attacking side of the game, but defensively I am not enjoying it at all. Maybe you all have some tips? I really cant seem to get the ball of the computer when they have it. Holding down L1 + x, will chase the player down, but they never get the ball of them, but when i have the ball and the computer runs along side one of my players they can get it easy enough. I am getting the hang of slide tackling, but its very hit and miss. So how the hell do you get the ball of the computer without slide tackling him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'm really enjoying it also. Got both Fifa and PES this year, and although Fifa is good, it's not as good. As others have stated I wasn't able to go straight to top player this year. I'm actually on regular at the minute, which is very unusual. The game is extremely challenging I find. I think I need to work on tactics more.

Keepers are terrible with long through balls. How do I stop my keeper from running out of his box only to clear it woefully? Also, anyone know how I can increase my players speed? I've tried allocating focus points to dribbling? Maybe it's athletic ability?

I miss the old training and also regulate condition. Another silly thing. I signed Villa the other day, then had an international break. I check my teams status and Villa is unhappy not getting many chances? WTF? I've only just signed ye ya moany prick. We haven't even had a match since you moved?!

Also, getting my ass whupped online generally. Maybe that's because everyone I play picks Barcelona - Messi destoys me. Real - Ronaldo destroys me and so on. One guy picked Netherlands the other night. I picked Ireland and it was a fantastic game. Why don't people pick teams they can really play with properly instead of teams with the best players in the world. So much more fun.

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Also, getting my ass whupped online generally. Maybe that's because everyone I play picks Barcelona - Messi destoys me. Real - Ronaldo destroys me and so on. One guy picked Netherlands the other night. I picked Ireland and it was a fantastic game. Why don't people pick teams they can really play with properly instead of teams with the best players in the world. So much more fun.

I rarely ever pick Real or Barca. I love those games like you mentioned Ireland VS Netherlands. I had a cracking game the other day online, I was Arsenal and he was Athletico Madrid.

If someone picks Real Madrid online, I also pick Real Marid, but I also pick the same colour jersey as them too, it really pisses them off. I also do the same with Barca fanboys :)

thorbarry wrote: »

If someone picks Real Madrid online, I also pick Real Marid, but I also pick the same colour jersey as them too, it really pisses them off. I also do the same with Barca fanboys :)

Nice idea :D. Although I did have a game with somebody. I was Arsenal, He was Man United and we both went red. I still won 1-0 :D

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Nice idea :D. Although I did have a game with somebody. I was Arsenal, He was Man United and we both went red. I still won 1-0 :D

Thats what i like to hear :p

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

PES 2010 gets the thumbs up from me as well. I downloaded the FIFA demo and thought it was good - and was seriously considering switching games, but thankfully the new game is much better than the poor showings of the last 2 years. PES is back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i think it's quite rubbish. The games themselves are alright although it feels more like the ISS games, very arcadey. It's the master league whichi feel completely ruins it, it awful. Players from teams who arent in the game are not available to purchase and a load of rubbish fictional teams are now in it. The scout/transfers are awful and the youth team option is bloody useless. I wish they'd bring back the training minigames too.

Weepsie wrote: »
    i think it's quite rubbish. The games themselves are alright although it feels more like the ISS games, very arcadey. It's the master league whichi feel completely ruins it, it awful. Players from teams who arent in the game are not available to purchase and a load of rubbish fictional teams are now in it. The scout/transfers are awful and the youth team option is bloody useless. I wish they'd bring back the training minigames too.

You can always look at the fictional teams as being the Championship teams (assuming you went a Premiership team).

Although it's terrible not being able to sign players that aren't with a team. I had a look for Beckham and I couldn't find him :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I couldnt look at them as championship teams personally as I'd expect to have the proper teams and players. I threw in real teams into my division benfica, porto etc etc to make it more of a challenge but then all the rubbish teams seem to qualify to CL by default as they win the leagues of teams ive put into mine. IT's horrendous, the master league has steadily gotten worse over the last 3/4 games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I had a look for Beckham and I couldn't find him :mad:

Some would argue that that counts as a positive for PES :p

Advertisement