Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi rip off, yes Aldi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Even 'low cost' Aldi seem to be in on the rip the Irish off act. Have a look at the two links below for next weeks specials. One is the UK site the other is the Irish site. Price difference in the region of 35-40% allowing for VAT difference and £1 = €1.12

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_Week46Sunday09.htm?WT.z_src=main

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week46Sunday09.htm

Taking the "Electric Guitar Set" for £79.99, this would be £84.16 is the UK had the same VAT as us, which is about €94, plus what ever the WEE adds to it, so your 35/40% is about twice the actually difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

How did you not realise this earlier. Almost everything is cheaper in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Even 'low cost' Aldi seem to be in on the rip the Irish off act. Have a look at the two links below for next weeks specials. One is the UK site the other is the Irish site. Price difference in the region of 35-40% allowing for VAT difference and £1 = €1.12

wage differences?

rent?

insurance?

please read up definition of rip off

two different prices in two different countries isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Nothing new, everything is cheaper in UK, (another reason we go up north). The goverments has taxed the economy so much that people no longer want to make their big purchases here. (like cars). For sure ALDI is one of the stores that does not rip you off, bought loads of stuff with them,(computer, camera, cloths ...) any problems they always allowed me to return with no song and dance, money back no questions. Also their Medion computer, had a problem starting it one morning, called their tech support on a sunday and got someone straight away who acutally spoke english!! (I think he was german) So all in all Aldi not too bad and for sure cheaper (in Rep of Ireland) than other stores.

As regards their prices compared to UK, well all businesses have higher prices. See my post on the O2 iphone swindle. They charge the prices because people are willing to pay them.

Goverment can control costs somewhat, but they can't control the exchange rate. If the rate was back to 2 years ago you would have to pay 64p to the euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why do people continue to post crap like this, they don't even think about cost differences in countrys....sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Maybe the OP works for the sun, whip up a bit of a frenzy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

As retailers go, i think Aldi are leading the way in giving good value in Ireland.. they need our support against the likes of Dunnes, Tesco's, Supervalu, Centra,Spar etc... their prices are consistently low and they are not messing around with prices week in week out trying to dupe consumers that they offer good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

OK. OK, OK,
    I don't work for the Sun, whatever that is.
    The sentiment in my OP was that I was disappointed to see one of our 'value' chains pricing common goods at 20% (corrected for wee etc.) over the UK price, particularly when much of stuff stuff is sourced in the Euro zone.
    BTW FWIT my local Aldi, which has a Lidl 50 metres away appears to have a customer footfall of less than 20% of the Aldi, eg. Aldi only a half dozen or so shoppers, go to Lidl and there are loads. Must say something.

I have NO connection to ANY retail/wholesale or publishing enterprise. I'm just p1sst off at covert and overt rip off and don't get me started about the pricing of magazines from the UK by Easons etc.

I'm out of this kitchen, it's getting to hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OK. OK, OK,
    Lmao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

The sentiment in my OP was that I was disappointed to see one of our 'value' chains pricing common goods at 20% (corrected for wee etc.) over the UK price, particularly when much of stuff stuff is sourced in the Euro zone.

An Electric Guitar set is not exactly a common good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

OK. OK, OK,

But the mistake that you ( and a lot of people who post similar here ) are making is not looking at the other factors which influence the price. Copying and pasting what I have posted elsewhere ...

• VAT rates are different. In some cases like magazines which regularly come up here there is VAT levied here in Ireland while there is none at all on the UK sterling cover price.
    • Converting a sterling price using a site like XE.com is not accurate. This is the base conversion rate and not the rate generally charged by banks.
    • The cost of actually trading in Ireland is a lot higher than the UK. There are a lot of factored here but to name a few ...
    • Wage rates in Ireland are a lot higher than the UK.
    • Property prices here although they have come down recently are enormous versus the UK. Bear in mind that the majority of retailers here are locked into leases / mortgages at the much higher rates.
    • Rent and wages are the biggest expenses any business occurs so not only does the retailer here operate with these higher costs every service provided by other local businesses and suppliers is also effected by the same. This means that most other expenses incurred are also significantly higher.
    All these factors make the cost of doing business here in Ireland higher than our immediate neighbours. The fact is that the wages and property prices which went up and up and up each year during the boom was adding to the base cost of doing business here which has to be reflected in the sale price of the goods and services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

a lot of the guys working in our local builders providers are not very well payed , probaly on uk rates yet the prices this place charges are ridiculous.
    they dont have rent to pay because they own the place.
    4.50 for a 3/4" inch compression fitting
    23 euros for 2.5 litres of crown emulsion.
    8 euros for a bag of compost.
    37 euro for a 4.5" tile cutting blade.
    4.85 for a bag of cement.
    rip off ireland:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mossfort wrote: »
    a lot of the guys working in our local builders providers are not very well payed , probaly on uk rates yet the prices this place charges are ridiculous.
    they dont have rent to pay because they own the place.
    4.50 for a 3/4" inch compression fitting
    23 euros for 2.5 litres of crown emulsion.
    8 euros for a bag of compost.
    37 euro for a 4.5" tile cutting blade.
    4.85 for a bag of cement.
    rip off ireland:mad:

They have to make up for the lack of builders buying anything from them, by stinging everybody else.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

OK. OK, OK,
    BTW FWIT my local Aldi, which has a Lidl 50 metres away appears to have a customer footfall of less than 20% of the Aldi, eg. Aldi only a half dozen or so shoppers, go to Lidl and there are loads. Must say something.

I have NO connection to ANY retail/wholesale or publishing enterprise. I'm just p1sst off at covert and overt rip off and don't get me started about the pricing of magazines from the UK by Easons etc.

I'm out of this kitchen, it's getting to hot.

I don't know whether you work or not and if you do what job you're in - but here's one of the reasons things are more expensive in the south.

Main street medium size retail store manager -
    Salary UK = £25,000 average
    Salary Ireland = €38,000 average

From the UK salary approx £6,000 is deducted in tax giving a net salary of £19,000. If you live in you own home, you will have water rates of £400 + Council charge of approx. £2500. So net available annual salary after direct charges & taxation = £16,000 (€18,000)

From the Irish salary approx. €9000 is taken in tax / prsi and the only direct charge is waste charges of apporx €300 leaving a net take hoem pay of €28700

For a retailer in Ireland, the "hidden" costs are huge. High rates (€10,000 for a small store in a small town - up to €80,000 for a regular store in a main shopping centre & many times that for a supermarket / dept. store) are charged to businesses here whereas in the UK homes pay council tax and business pay much lower rates.

As for magazines - there is 13.5% vat & 10% distribution charge (quite fair) for UK magazines in Ireland - have you ever tried to buy a UK magazine in france or Spain?? - expect to pay twice the cover price at a minimum!

So if you are willing to pay the higher direct taxes of the UK and accept the lower wage levels of the UK, I'm sure ll the retailers will be happy to bring down prices, but whilst we have higher costs, these have to be added to the cost of the product.

It's ironic that people, in a country so understandably proud of ending British rule and becoming a republic, think that it's their God-given right to pay the same prices as the British.

No-one here can have it both ways (unless you nip over the border). It's chalk and cheese.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It's ironic that people, in a country so understandably proud of ending British rule and becoming a republic, think that it's their God-given right to pay the same prices as the British.

We are not ruled by France either, does that mean that we cannot expect the same prices as in France? Gouging by retailers is a major factor in higher prices in this State which have driven up wages and made us uncompetitive.

ardmacha wrote: »
    We are not ruled by France either, does that mean that we cannot expect the same prices as in France? Gouging by retailers is a major factor in higher prices in this State which have driven up wages and made us uncompetitive.

There is probably a bit of gouging going on, but it still doesn't detract from the fact that we're all living in different jurisdictions. Many of those on the shop-floor in retailing don't get astronomical pay. Blame the importers, landlords, service industries, and any other deluded person in the chain for making Ireland less competitive. If they all did their bit, and cut everything to the bone, we still wouldn't be paying the same as any other country in Europe.

I'd like to pay the same prices as the Germans, but I'd probably have to move to Germany, or its border regions, to have the privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Another major cost issue in Ireland is Public/Employer liability insurance.
    The high cost of insurance is caused by the claims culture and the excessive compensation awarded by the courts and the courts failure to throw out spurious and exaggerated claims.

Compensation is about twice the UK level.

RGS wrote: »
    Another major cost issue in Ireland is Public/Employer liability insurance.
    The high cost of insurance is caused by the claims culture and the excessive compensation awarded by the courts and the courts failure to throw out spurious and exaggerated claims.

Compensation is about twice the UK level.

One of our local builders' suppliers used to cut wood in their yard, but had to pull the plug on this, due to the enormous increase in insurance premiums a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aldi Ireland

At Aldi only the best will do. It's a philosophy that has made us a driving force in retail. And now we're looking for outstanding graduates, born leaders possessing the drive and ambition to succeed in a demanding and fast-paced environment. All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of €60K plus car and fantastic career prospects.

Aldi UK

At Aldi only the best will do. It's a philosophy that has made us a driving force in retail. And now we’re looking for outstanding graduates, born leaders possessing the drive and ambition to succeed in a demanding and fast-paced environment. All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of £40K plus car and fantastic career prospects.

Bloody employees ripping off Aldi.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Aldi Ireland

At Aldi only the best will do. It's a philosophy that has made us a driving force in retail. And now we're looking for outstanding graduates, born leaders possessing the drive and ambition to succeed in a demanding and fast-paced environment. All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of €60K plus car and fantastic career prospects.

Aldi UK

At Aldi only the best will do. It's a philosophy that has made us a driving force in retail. And now we’re looking for outstanding graduates, born leaders possessing the drive and ambition to succeed in a demanding and fast-paced environment. All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of £40K plus car and fantastic career prospects.

Bloody employees ripping off Aldi.:)

the 40k would be 60k at the old exchange rate for sterling give or take a few quid before sterling weakened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the 40k would be 60k at the old exchange rate for sterling give or take a few quid before sterling weakened.

Well if thats the case (and hasnt been for a long time)can we not do the same with prices and shut everyone up about price discrepancies ? ie on sept 6t 1998 stg was worth 60% of what the equivelent € would be so prices are fine.

Plus if people are expectign prices to be adjusted in line with exchange rate fluctuations then so should salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well if thats the case (and hasnt been for a long time)can we not do the same with prices and shut everyone up about price discrepancies ? ie on sept 6t 1998 stg was worth 60% of what the equivelent € would be so prices are fine.

Plus if people are expectign prices to be adjusted in line with exchange rate fluctuations then so should salaries.

Bought kids ski wear this morning,aldi,ballypheane,cork,,,,sterling price 9.99,,,,euro price e12.99,,,,, current exchange means aldi have ripped me off by nearly e1.80 plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought kids ski wear this morning,aldi,ballypheane,cork,,,,sterling price 9.99,,,,euro price e12.99,,,,, current exchange means aldi have ripped me off by nearly e1.80 plus

But you still bought it.

7 year old thread :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭corks finest

vicwatson wrote: »
    8 year old thread :eek::eek::eek:

Know,but couldn't resist,,,,pissed off ref sterling/Euro difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

current exchange means aldi have ripped me off by nearly e1.80 plus
    The difference is so little that there is a reasonable chance they made less profit selling it to you here. If they did make less profit, or the same profit, would you still think Aldi have ripped you off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

have you ever wondered why parcel motel parcel wizard and address pal are so busy, do you have an account with any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Compulsory ski wear, or a discretionary purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Are there a difference in vat rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Are there a difference in vat rates?

There do be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

flutered wrote: »
    have you ever wondered why parcel motel parcel wizard and address pal are so busy, do you have an account with any of them

Parcel motel weren't around 7 years ago though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

30139d1334299885-ript-zombie-thread.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement