Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about OC'ing

• 08-11-2009 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys

I currently have a Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3Ghz processor in my PC. I'm interested in trying to possibly OC this to improve performance. Firstly, is this possible with this processor? And if so, can anyone link to somewhere that will help with doing so? (I've never OC'd before, will it be easy enough?)

Thanks in advance.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It all depends on what mobo and ram You got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Sorry about the lack of information earlier!

Mobo is : MSI P6N SLI Platinum, nforce-650i SLI
    RAM is : Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC6400 CL4 4 x 1GB (4GB)
    PSU is: Corsair 620W ATX
    GPU is: Sapphire Radeon 1 GB 4890 (recently purchased).

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moved to a more appropriate forum :)

You can OC the E6850 on that mobo, but there's a big question over how far. That's a pretty fast high-end CPU you have there; if there's anything taxing it too hard its time for a quad! :o Being a high-end CPU it starts life with a fast 333MHz (FSB1333) bus speed. Unfortunately the P6N has issues with OCing performance chips and has difficulty behaving itself past FSB1500 (i.e. 375MHz base clock) without BIOS issues (usually amnesia). As a result you may have difficulty hitting even 3.4GHz, although you might still have decent results with the E6850; the P6N is just insanely random about not budging past certain speeds with certain CPUs. On a good day you can hit over 3.6GHz with an E6850 with decent air cooling and nearly 4GHz on water.

You're not going to be seeing any stellar improvements here; this isn't like taking a 1.6GHz E2140 and pumping it up to 3.5GHz. But, to be perfectly honest, anything over 3GHz is good news for real-world usage; if you're running into massive speed issues at 3GHz the problem lies elsewhere. Or you need more CPU cores to play with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Thanks for the reply Solitaire.

To be honest, the reason I asked is that I've just order Dragons Age Origins and am awaiting delivery, however, I was surprised that my PC failed the recommended specs for CPU. It was recommending a Quad. I'm going to wait and see what the performance is like with the game as I would of expected to be able to run everything on full @ 1680 x 1050.

If this isn't the case I might look at upgrading CPU's. On this topic, anyone know a decent (Quad?) CPU I could possibly upgrade to while keeping this mobo?

Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Solitaire wrote: »
    Moved to a more appropriate forum :)

You can OC the E6850 on that mobo, but there's a big question over how far. That's a pretty fast high-end CPU you have there; if there's anything taxing it too hard its time for a quad! :o Being a high-end CPU it starts life with a fast 333MHz (FSB1333) bus speed. Unfortunately the P6N has issues with OCing performance chips and has difficulty behaving itself past FSB1500 (i.e. 375MHz base clock) without BIOS issues (usually amnesia). As a result you may have difficulty hitting even 3.4GHz, although you might still have decent results with the E6850; the P6N is just insanely random about not budging past certain speeds with certain CPUs. On a good day you can hit over 3.6GHz with an E6850 with decent air cooling and nearly 4GHz on water.

You're not going to be seeing any stellar improvements here; this isn't like taking a 1.6GHz E2140 and pumping it up to 3.5GHz. But, to be perfectly honest, anything over 3GHz is good news for real-world usage; if you're running into massive speed issues at 3GHz the problem lies elsewhere. Or you need more CPU cores to play with...

Not just the p6n, all 650i boards are just random when it comes to overclocking. The abit one i had would some days keep my Q6600 at 3.9ghz, and other day wouldn't post past 3.4ghz. They have crazy vdroop issues. I suppose thats what heppens when you chop down and try to make a chipset as cheap as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement