Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching TV on Laptop

• 08-11-2009 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hopefully someone can help with this ... what I want to do if possible is to watch the Channels on my Tv on my Laptop wirelessly ... not sure if it can be done

I have Free to Air Satellite TV from the Sky Satellite outside having cancelled the Subscription years back (the usual UK Channels, News Channels, etc)

To get the Irish Channels I have an ariel in the Attic - Analogue reception rather than Digital on the TV along with the digital fta ones

What I want to do is to reroute these channels wirelessly if that is possible from the TV to my Laptop

A Slingbox is no use because my upload speed is 300+ kbps ... a waste of time

I know it's easy to get the Irish analogue TV Channels on the laptop by just using a TV tuner by usb connection (such as a Hauppage one) to the Laptop and attach an Ariel to the TV Tuner. If this is the only way to get the Irish Channels rather than off the TV directly fine but I'd prefer to get them along with the digital satellite fta Channels at the same time

I think you could use this WinTV Box http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-Nova-S-USB2-Satellite-USB2-0/dp/B0014J1B4A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257636955&sr=8-13 but that entails getting the signals off the satellite dish and messing with cables and I just want to get the stuff from the TV and wirelessly with no cables to the laptop in a different room

So can I do the following (or something like it) .... use a 5.8GHz Video Sender Kit like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224299 and get the signal from the Receiver into the laptop somehow by using some gadget?

Tks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The Slingbox does exactly what you want, it doesn't have to be uploaded outside of your network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ah Well

The Slingbox does exactly what you want, it doesn't have to be uploaded outside of your network.

Ah, so you're saying a Slingbox can just send it from the TV directly to the laptop in some other room in the house "so to speak" and there's no need to go sending the TV Progs/signals using the Slingbox over the internet to get them to the Laptop?

(Sorry if that seems like a dumb question btw)

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah Well wrote: »
    Ah, so you're saying a Slingbox can just send it from the TV directly to the laptop in some other room in the house "so to speak" and there's no need to go sending the TV Progs/signals using the Slingbox over the internet to get them to the Laptop?

(Sorry if that seems like a dumb question btw)

It can send it out over a local network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You could try the video senders in Aldi from today(Sunday) at 40 yoyos.

Tks folks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could try the video senders in Aldi from today(Sunday) at 40 yoyos.
    They usually require the device you want to watch it on to have video inputs. Most laptops don't have those inputs. That's why a slingbox will work better.

They usually require the device you want to watch it on to have video inputs. Most laptops don't have those inputs. That's why a slingbox will work better.

Hmmm it's a fairly decent laptop (Dell XPS M1710) ... has S-video TV-out connector and also a video (VGA) connector .... would these possibly allow trying out of those Aldi (or similar) Video senders?

Hmmm it's a fairly decent laptop (Dell XPS M1710) ... has S-video TV-out connector and also a video (VGA) connector .... would these possibly allow trying out of those Aldi (or similar) Video senders?
    No. To use those senders the laptop needs a video input. You don't have that.

No. To use those senders the laptop needs a video input. You don't have that.

Ah yeah .... gotcha ... looks like the Slingbox is the only way to go ... tks AC for the advice

Ah yeah .... gotcha ... looks like the Slingbox is the only way to go ... tks AC for the advice

No bother man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ahem... Take a guys thunder there would ya AC??? ;)

On reflection tho .... the Hava would seem to be a better bet than the Slingbox, even down to the fact that it's wireless ...

http://www.myhava.com/product_hava_wireless_hd.html

With the slingbox you use it in conjunction to your wireless router, so you can use it wireless as well.

Advertisement