Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dilema...37yrs of age...renting alone..start sharing?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

am back in my hometown after living abroad for a few years..have no real savings(lived downunder so dollar made was worth nothing here)
    Anyhow..moved back into my old flat and have ended up renting it alone(its tiny..would suit a couple only or best mates)
    Its 525 per calender month + broadband + elec + bus + sky(22.50 a month)+ so am in total spending appx (including shopping) 200 a week on living...

I earn 400 a week currently(am planning on getting back downunder as no work around for past year)...

Is this the norm? Am thinking of doing a house share for next few months however am dreading it. Have shared most of my 20's. However all my mates are now married so it will be with strangers(have already asked around...I truly am the only single amongst my friends)

Advise? Am a working professional, non smoker/occassional drinker and people are telling me(and from looking online) most house shares are with students. I love a homely home and love to treat a house like my own. HOwever think i;ll end up living in my room in a house full of strangers..i can understand why people commit suicide..the thought alone is terrible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

I'm sitting here in Melbourne and it's 30 degrees outside. The sun is shining.

Forget about dreary recession ripoff Ireland. It's going to be a miserable broke basket case of a country for the next five years at least. All entirely self inflicted wounds due to the greed, stupidity and short sightedness that is the hallmark of the Irish State.

Unless you're one of the cute hoor brigade in Ireland, you're wasting your time. So get yourself back over here, and get on with your life in a non corrupt country with is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

you wrecken? was further afield in NZ...and just got my residency..do you worry about not having an Irish Mortgage or a big pension when you finish working or is that just the old way of thinking...or returing home to nothing...been in that boat last year and nearly finished me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

uncanny wrote: »
    Unless you're one of the cute hoor brigade in Ireland, you're wasting your time. So get yourself back over here, and get on with your life in a non corrupt country with is my advice.
    I'm sure all your friends and relatives at home appreciate enjoy your postcards. The OP asked for advice regarding house sharing. How is advice to head off to Oz even remotely relevant?

OP, renting alone will always carry a premium. In Dublin the premium has reduced somewhat, but it's still there. In more desirable areas you can get a double room in a shared apartment for €400-500, yet you'll pay €800-1100 for a single room in the same developments. It really depends on how much you value your own space and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

iguana2005 wrote: »
    do you worry about not having an Irish Mortgage

I'm so happy I don't have an Irish mortgage and you should be too.

If you'd bought anything in the last five years you'd now have lost your life savings and probably be in six figures worth of negative equity to "own" some awful little apartment in a crooked, ripoff, miserable, basket case of a country.

You are debt free and have flexibility, you are very lucky imo.

Advertisement