Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Mnemonics

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I asked one of the first meds how her spot exam went and she didnt mention anything about an x - ray. Im assuming there was an X - ray question though.

One question that she didnt like was " name a sport that involves serratus anterior ". Boxing is a good one. What nerve supplies this muscle (long thoracic) and damage to it produces what effect? Winged scapula would be the answer they were looking for there I guess.

There was a question on damage to the surgical neck of the humerus.
    The (axillary nerve) would be prone to damage in this situation, which innervates ( deltoid/teres minor ). This would effect ( abduction ) of the humerus.

There was also a question on trapezius and the accessory nerve iirc.

Attachments of muscles always makes an appearance. Attachments in relation to the bicipital groove is a favourite.
    The Lady Between Two Majors is a good mnemonic for remembering the attachmnets of Latissimus (Lady) and the two majors (Pec and Teres)

Im actually surprised nick mahony didnt mention that mnemonic to you.
    He loves to replace the word lovers with lecturers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, was speaking to one of the docs and he said there was an x-ray of the wrist and you had to name the bones? And that there was a question to do with elbow tendonitis or tennis elbow and that the students didn't like that one.

But I'm guessing Physio and OT won't be asked the same questions, dam. I think Moore's is good for the Clinical aspect to it. Love that book!

Oh I know the Lady between two Majors. :) And SITS for the rotator cuff muscles. Also, when learning about supination, think of holding a cup of soup in your hand. :) I don't have Dr.Mahony for any lectures. The lovely lady doc is great for giving tips to remember things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Larianne wrote: »
    But I'm guessing Physio and OT won't be asked the same questions, dam.

You would be very surprised. In our written anatomy paper last year, I think we got two exact same questions as the physios. Word for word. :eek:
    Moore's is great for clinical but I get a headache whenever I open it. Information all over the shop.
    I find the structure in Grays to be much more suitable for studying.

Edit: And thanks for the "soup" tip. Now that we are studying head and neck anatomy we dont really come across those terms anymore. So easy to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

as a psychiatrist, i think the majority of freud's "theories" are complete rubbish, but some of them are still taught and examined, so...

stages of development:

OAP's Love Geriatricians

Oral
    Anal
    Phallic
    Latent
    Genital

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

sillymoo wrote: »
    Think this is one of his for remembering the order of the cranial nerves :D

Oh, Oh, Oh, To Touch And Feel A Girls Vaginas Such Heaven

* I-Olfactory nerve,
    * II-Optic nerve,
    * III-Oculomotor nerve,
    * IV-Trochlear nerve,
    * V-Trigeminal nerve,
    * VI-Abducens nerve,
    * VII-Facial nerve,
    * VIII-Vestibulocochlear nerve/Auditory nerve,
    * IX-Glossopharyngeal nerve,
    * X-Vagus nerve,
    * XI-Spinal accessory nerve
    * XII-Hypoglossal nerve.

Sorry for bringing the tone of this thread waaayyyy down :o

Excellent. I hope that encourages sound learning. Relying on it later in a career could be detrimental. It's not something you ever want to hear your doctor muttering under his breath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Larianne wrote: »
    This will come in dead handy when my spot exam comes around. I think the meds were asked about the wrist. An x-ray?

I can confirm that there was an Xray of the wrist. ;)
    It was pointing to the Lunate, and we were then asked what the hollow area in front of the bone was and one clinical problem associated with it.

Bitch of an exam tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

bythewoods wrote: »
    I can confirm that there was an Xray of the wrist. ;)
    It was pointing to the Lunate, and we were then asked what the hollow area in front of the bone was and one clinical problem associated with it.

Bitch of an exam tbh.

Mines on the 9th Dec!

Was that Carpel tunnel and then carpel tunnel syndrome? The question was worded a bit funny.

Advertisement