Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need serious advice about sna

• 08-11-2009 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have a montessori diploma. Qualification similar to LMI. After studying the montessori course, i wanted to study childcare fetac level 5. But couldn't study full time, and i had no transport to study a part time evening course. So i studied childcare through distance learning with the college of progressive education with the intention of studyin CC fetac 5 at a more suitable time (currant CC qualification awarded by progressive) so not widely recognised.

I'm now working as a minder to a young child with special needs for a family. And have been for some time.

Parents want me to study sna at some stage in the hope that i can accompany the child to school in a few more years.

Havent been told about short term plans. The child has a physical disabilty and is very socialable so no doubt they will want to send the child to a playgroup, playschool or a creche part time at some stage.

So I need to know what would I need to work as an sna in a preschool setting.

Am i going to need childcare fetac level 5? Or would a sna qualification do.

Im currently studying cc fetac level 5 part time but im finding it very difficult time wise. And dont know if i can continue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any guarantee you'd get the job as the child's SNA, even if you are working with the family. If there is an SNA already in a school and a child leaves to go to secondary school then that SNA would automatically be assigned to the next child coming into the school who has been allocated an SNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I think you would be mad to spend money now on a course for special needs assistant. There are so many of us out there waiting to see if we have jobs in January. The school will employ the sna for the child and the parents have no say in who gets the job, I think you would be wasting your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It is more or less impossible that you would be the child's SNA. SNAs are losing their jobs in schools as it is and an SNA already in the school would be assigned the child. The school decides, the parents cannot suggest someone.

Most of the SNAs in my school (second level) have FETAC Level 5 Childcare, some have SNA courses. If you are doing CC, are there special needs modules involved? They would be a big help. However, CC should be plenty for work in a preschool. For the CC course we offer (FETAC Level 5), we had to introduce SN modules as there was such a demand. Many students are using the CC course to get into SNA work.

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

You should contact St. Michaels House. http://www.smh.ie/

They should be able to help you out with any questions u might have.

They've provided all our SNA's in our Montessori and they're brilliant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

have to agree with some of the above posters. the parents will not have a say as to who their child's SNA will be. the school will decide this as they will already have SNAs working in the school who will be fully qualified and prepared to assist any child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nikkir359

no u do not need any other qualifications to study sna i done a plc course last year sna and i did my work experience where i chose so maybe you could do your work experience at this school and when in there explain your situation to the school and hope for the best...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

I agree with what the others have said... I'd be highly surprised if you became the childs SNA. Even if at the time of the child starting school there isn't already an SNA on the staff books who is ready to be reassigned to an incoming child your chances would still be slim. The school would be obliged to advertise and interview for a new staff member and if anything your previous history with the child may even act against you. It may be seen as a conflict of interest, that would really depend on the principal's point of view. SNA's in schools are often relocated to differant children on a yearly basis... school's will have X amount of SNA's to work with X amount of children but just because a new SNA is hired to cover the need of a new child there is no reason that that would be the particular child that the new SNA would be working with.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the child would even qualify for an individual SNA... depending on whether there are already SNA's in what ever class the child is going into and depending on how severe his disability is he may or may not get an SNA of his own. Over the last few years the Dept. of Ed's policy regarding assigning SNA's has been changing... they've been favouring assigning SNA's as general classroom SNA's based on the needs of all and any children in the class rather than assigning them on a one-to-one basis.

If it is something you are interested in for yourself there are plenty of SNA courses out there and from what I've heard from some people in doing work experience with us they aren't particularly demanding. You may want to check if your current qualification would surfice though, you may not have to do any more than you already have. The other side of that though is, as others have said, there is a huge amount of unemployed SNA's out there at the moment and very little demand for new ones so anything extra you could have on your CV would obviously be a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kese0600

I have worked as an sna for the last five years and have none of the qualifications mentioned above. I did, however, have plenty of experience (and so do you). The best way to find out if the employer thinks you are qualified is to apply for jobs (you don't have to take them). I agree with the rest of the replies though that you probably don't have much of a chance of becomming the boy's sna, sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jess22

hi im a sna the past 4years and hav childcare fetac levl 5 and also special needs level 5 and level 6 fetac ones...just wondering can anyone tell me if dere is any other way in which i can go up in my career in special needs the only thing is i dont hav a teaching degree so if anyone knows a way of getting higher in mhy job would be great thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

jess22 wrote: »
    hi im a sna the past 4years and hav childcare fetac levl 5 and also special needs level 5 and level 6 fetac ones...just wondering can anyone tell me if dere is any other way in which i can go up in my career in special needs the only thing is i dont hav a teaching degree so if anyone knows a way of getting higher in mhy job would be great thanks :)

Hi there. Just to say that in the present climate, it is wonderful to have a position as an SNA and to know that you are ambitious. SNA positions are coveted and due to the employment situation, many people with teaching qualifications are unable to find positions as a teacher and have been applying for SNA posts.

If you don't have a degree, then I'm not sure how you can get 'higher' in your job. If you are not in a position to go to college and study for a Degree (which is only the start of it), I would advise you to keep up to date on courses and make yourself as marketable as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement