Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed withToilet Training

Options
  • 08-11-2009 5:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

My youngest dog is a 2 year old (approx) Jack Russell Cross. We got her a year ago as a rescue. We've managed to train her to piddle outdoors and to ask when she needs to go, but the problem is with her pooing. For days on end she'll poo outdoors, but just when we think we've cracked it she reverts to pooing indoors morning and evening. We let her out first thing in the morning, and again when she asks to go after breakfast but for two or three mornings in a row she poos in the bedroom. The same thing happens at night on the same days even after she has been let out. Then she'll suddenly stop doing it and do what she has to do outside.

Can anyone suggest a way to stop her doing this? She was in a bad way when we got her and even now, although she is a very loving dog, she's very nervous and needs a lot of reassurance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Hi Ghost, I cant make any suggestions except patience and consistency.

Ive recently got a gsd pup and after a week or so he was beginning to get the message, all i did each time i/we seen him circling peeing or pooing was say àh ah` outside while bringing him out and it worked suprisingly quick.

Obviuosly in the morning there can be accidents but when i get up i let him out then maybe leave the door open so he can go out etc and he does it 9 times outa 10 now.

As i said patience and consistency thats all i can suggest from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Thanks AIB. You're right, of course - patience and consistency will work eventually, even though there are times I have to bite my tongue to stop myself shouting at her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

I know....especially when they look over their shoulder to make sure your watching them doing it

Am no expert but thats all we did and it has worked to the point of even pawing the door.

Hope it changes anyway.

She doesn't even look over her shoulder. She did it again tonight when I was out of the room 5 mins after I had let all 3 out to the garden. Told her she was bold but the only reaction I got was a furiously wagging tail, but from the rest of the body language the tail was wagging more in appeasment than anything else. Maybe when she realises she has a secure home here she'll stop doing it but it's been a year now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

When a dog needs to "go" they'll run out and pee fairly quickly but it takes as long as ten minutes before they want to poo.

Perhaps they are coming inside again too soon?

Vigorous exercise can hasten the urge to splurge so a few minutes of ball throwing might speed the process.

And of course don't forget the lavish praise when it goes on the grass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

dog needs to understand you have a preference as to where it should potty. needs feeback from you in the form of solid history of rewards when it goes in right place- i.e outside. so, reward dog with a couple of tiny food rewards when it guesses right. should be given immediately within a few seconds,of evacuation otherwise if you wait till it gets inside it may only understand that it is being rewarded for coming back inside. also, consider using an enzymatic cleaning solution to neutralise the scent of previous deposits inside and maybe stricter management. Yes it does take time but worth it. We have it made with house training cats and dogs, just think of how long it takes to tiolet train a child- years!

Thanks for all your replies. Turtle, I'll take your advice and start giving her a game before her last trip out at night. I kept an eye on her today and praised her wholeheartedly when she went on the grass. Boardbrowser, thanks for the tip on cleaners - I've just been using ordinary cleaners up til now. I've also kept the door to the room she usually goes in closed. All deposits made outside today, so fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 twinkie

Hi Ghost, we are having the exact same problem with our little madam. She's 15 months. It is so frustrating as she can hold it when she wants to. When we are there she will always look to go outside so she knows thats where she is suppossed to go.
    We had a trainer in and were told that its anxiety and she is worried about us when we are not there.
    We have another 2 year old and he is fully housetrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

did trainer diagnose your dog with having separation anxiety hence the toileting in the house? that may be the case but house soiling is just 1 of many a cluster of behaviours a dog is likely to exhibit if it is sep anx. Need to rule out house training issue (ie. the dog not understanding difference between inside versus outside as a bathroom) before coming to that diagnosis.

Hi Twinkie. At least I'm not alone :). I don't think it's separation anxiety as she never does anything when we're not there. It's only last thing at night and first thing in the morning. I left the back door open for a while this morning after they came in and after about 5 mins she ran outside again and did what she had to do. I'm also keeping the door of the only room she does it in closed and she's only allowed in there now if one of us is with her, and it seems to be working as we've found no deposits inside tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement