Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's the work situation like?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 5:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Is it really as unspeakably dire as some of the horror stories I've heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

ah ya, ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Pretty shocking by all accounts; but on the plus side it's a great city to be on the dole in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Absolutely terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Currently working in Dublin (where things have picked up a little bit, depending on what you're working at... everything outside construction) and sometimes get nostalgic about living back in Galway, even if on the dole! Going by friends on it, Galway is the place to be for dole-scum... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's pretty bad.

I mean, I can't speak for the past month and a half because I haven't been actively looking for work (with the blessing of the DSW, since I'm going for BTWEA at the end of the month) but in the 10 months prior jobseeking was a soul destroying exercise in futility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

It makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. But I wake everyday with renewed hope and will keep doing that until I get a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Dire straits eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

It's pretty soul destroying alright. I'm in the very fortunate position of getting a bit of casual work for the last 2 months but that is running out very soon and there is nothing in the line of work coming up. The few interviews that I did secure and spent so much time researching came to nothing and the Hr people can't even be bothered to email a PFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

its work to find work
    working is hard work
    generally work is hard.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Doesn't sound much worse than where I've been, situation wise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moimeme24

Fenster wrote: »
    Doesn't sound much worse than where I've been, situation wise!

wheres that?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

personally just hit me this month, hours cut and feeling the pinch now because of it.

also because i only worked 38 weeks in 2007, not 39, i cant claim ilness benefit for being out sick due to surgery for the past three weeks :( dang government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

On a personal note related to work, I have taught grinds before and was thinking about doing it again this year since i need some cash, but I'm told that the gubermint have people checking notice boards for names of grinds teachers and the like so they can tax them! Its a real pain, I doubt I'd be taxed much but don't know the first thing about it. Anyone know if this is even true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anyone know if this is even true or not?

Keep a log of ANY work you do, and how much money you make.

In the event of anyone 'checking you out' at least you have a log of what you've done - chances are you won't have made enough to be taxed. It's better to have your own log, rather than nothing because in the event of you being 'checked out', it's a case of guilty until proven innocent, and you could be taxed for what someone ASSUMES you'll have made (Well, if you've no log to show how much/little you've made, it's hard to argue your way out of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

yea its true. ive come across a few people in last few weeks who had been contacted re notice board advertisements.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thargor wrote: »
    What can I do? I know a load of people who are doing the same thing, beats sitting on your ass for a year or two. Is there some education scheme you can apply to if you already have a degree? I thought it had to be your first time in third level before they gave you anything. Any way to cover my ass do you think?

Do on-line courses with ecollege.ie instead, as they apparently don't affect your availability for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Deleted threads referring to, or encouraging illegal activity and social welfare fraud.

Keep it above board folks.

/moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I cannot find a job for the life of me in galway, good or bad! I would've thought I had great experience behind me for most of the jobs I've applied for but haven't got any interviews so far! Its so annoying the longer I am out of work as well the more I feel I have to get a decent job next time. I actually have been doing an online blended learning course with FAS to try and keep my CV reletively current.
    The thing that suprises me most about galway is the amount of new shops opening. How are they opening, when its impossible to get work here, I'd imagine not many are spending as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

susanroth wrote: »
    The thing that suprises me most about galway is the amount of new shops opening. How are they opening, when its impossible to get work here, I'd imagine not many are spending as much...

Surprises me too susanroth, you would wonder...same goes for pubs or people out and about. One thing is that students account for a huge chunk of the local economy here...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I spent most of the summer looking for a job and it was not a pleasant experience. For a so-called knowledge economy and with two third level institutes I would have thought there is ample opportunity for IT related businesses in the city but sadly not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Its terrible and ****

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

susanroth wrote: »

12% (or whatever) unemployment still means 88% employment. Actually a bit more, since some of that 12% will be working under the table, or part-time.

People should be being careful with money, but to totally stop spending would be a big mistake, 'cos it would cause lots of businesses to fold. (The whole modern economy is a confidence trick, really).

Some people must be getting work, 'cos there are jobs being filled (eg all the staff in TKMaxx). It's just not you (or me) at the moment. Yet. Keep trying, our time WILL come. (Actually, mine did a bit, I had some temping earlier in the year ... I'm sure there's more around the corner now ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

JustMary wrote: »
    12% (or whatever) unemployment still means 88% employment. Actually a bit more, since some of that 12% will be working under the table, or part-time.

People should be being careful with money, but to totally stop spending would be a big mistake, 'cos it would cause lots of businesses to fold. (The whole modern economy is a confidence trick, really).

Some people must be getting work, 'cos there are jobs being filled (eg all the staff in TKMaxx). It's just not you (or me) at the moment. Yet. Keep trying, our time WILL come. (Actually, mine did a bit, I had some temping earlier in the year ... I'm sure there's more around the corner now ...)
    I am really hoping after xmas my luck will change and I'll figure out what i'm doing or what I should do. Hopefully i'll make some wiser decisions in future with regards to training, education and work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've been back a month and the job situation really is as bad as stated! I've been thinking about going on to Scotland in the new year.

Advertisement