Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on catching a foal

Options
  • 08-11-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

hi everyone,
    my dad recently bought a connemera foal who is now out in the fields, at first we were able to catch her with a bucket of nuts but now she has taken to turning her rear around to us!
    what is the best way to get her quite and allow her to catch her, luckly we have a headcollar on her.
    we bought her at a sale and unsure if any work has been done with her, but she is quite to walk and trot when caught.
    any advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Patience is key!!

Offer her a bucket of nuts each day. After a few days, rub her neck but dont go to catch her. Then after a week or two, hold the head collar but dont pull against her, if she pulls back let her go. eventually, shel trust you.

Had the same problem with two colts. They would be as quiet as a lamb once caught but the way above was the only way to catch them. Now they come to the gate to meet me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

lasoo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Class Response Irish Goat ROFL :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe if the foal was put in for a while she would get used to you and become more friendly.
    I have a horse thats 10 and he is impossible to catch when out. Looks like some can be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

thanks for the advice,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i agree with what everyone has said, it will just take patience, feeding and building up trust with the foal. amazing animals really arent' they/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The filly has decided that everytime you bring a bucket you catch her and so her natural reaction is to try and intimidate you with her hind end and so trying to become the dominant partner. Stay beside the bucket and send her away when she does this . A long handled soft brush is great for pushing them away without pain. You need to reclaim the leadership of the herd and allow her to share your bucket with out catching her for a few days. Then when you have her trust and do catch her put a piece of lead about 18 inches on the head collar and leave it there. An old stirrup leather cut to length is great as its not smothing that snags easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Leaving something trailing/hanging is asking for trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Leaving something trailing/hanging is asking for trouble...

Well I am just talking from my experience with foals to unhandled 4ylds. This an old trick that was in use long before I started which I seen quite a few very respected Horsemen who would have been dealing with a of unhandled stock use .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i think its only dangerous if there is a risk the foal will get caught up in it and even more afraid.

we bought a new foal recently and he is fine to handle/lead etc however when in the stable he is very shy and nervous.

i really think its a building up trust matter. the foal has to trust you and go to you of their own will. when he does you will be able to catch him. he has to feel unthreatened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Esroh wrote: »
    Well I am just talking from my experience with foals to unhandled 4ylds. This an old trick that was in use long before I started which I seen quite a few very respected Horsemen who would have been dealing with a of unhandled stock use .

ditto - its something we've always done with foals aswell - passed down from my father & gran-father. all you need once you have a headcollar on is just attach a small length of rope - if even only a few inches long - will give u something to grab hold of quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

build up a trust with the foal/animal in question first-that it believes ur its friend, ie nuts wit ya-when u go to see it...
    also we tend to leave a rope/hanging from the head collar--as long as where animal is located is clean, no dangerous objects,etc...
    have seen animals get caught in branchs..also heard of animals bein hung!
    time--most animals need to build up trust with a new owner--animal(horse)of any age!
    but then again--you hav to show it,ur its boss-ie superior! because i have seen horses get spoiled easily as foals--and it destoys them in later years! they become bullies

Advertisement