Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panoramic Photo Size?

• 08-11-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to get a picture printed on canvas as a present for someone. When I went to the shop they told me (for the size/shape of canvas I want) the picture must be in "panaoramic" size.

Does anyone know what is the standard panoramic size? Or have any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi,

I want to get a picture printed on canvas as a present for someone. When I went to the shop they told me (for the size/shape of canvas I want) the picture must be in "panaoramic" size.

Thanks

I don't think there's any real standard panoramic size, any picture in which one side is significantly longer than the other probably counts as panoramic. Essentially what they're saying is that the aspect ratio of the shot should be the same as the canvas you chose. We can't really advise unless we know what their canvas sizes are.
    Anyhow, I'm surprised they just said that to you and let you on your way. What happened to customer service ?!? They could have offered to crop your picture there and then to fit onto the canvas, or suggested a differant sized canvas. I'm sure someone here will mention stcstc. He's a user on this forum whose print work is highly regarded. Give him a PM and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Thanks Daire,

They weren't the friendliest to be honest. I assumed I could just give them the photo on a disc & they'd do the rest...Will take my custom elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,542 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry to hijack thread, but I've always been curious - how do you print panoramas normally? Not talking about canvas prints or anything like that, just regular prints. Is it possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Thanks Daire,

They weren't the friendliest to be honest. I assumed I could just give them the photo on a disc & they'd do the rest...Will take my custom elsewhere!
    Well really they should just do the rest, crop it to size and print. Avoid them in future as they dont seem to know what they are doing.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread, but I've always been curious - how do you print panoramas normally? Not talking about canvas prints or anything like that, just regular prints. Is it possible?

You can crop your image to panoramic proportions, print it and cut away the waste, on A4 paper it will be a small panoramic, an A3 printer will give you a slightly bigger panoramic.
    Some epson and other printers use roll paper and you can print bigger panoramics, my printer can print 13" X 48" which is big enough for me. But I'd expect any decent printing shop can print a panoramic to suit you. I hope this helps and I didn't misunderstand your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Hi,

Thanks

Not sure where you are located but I always find Mahers of Drogheda are extremely good and pride themselves on customer service. Maybe give them a shout and they would be happy to sort it for you, I'm sure. I dont work for them, just use them a lot to get canvas' and to get other bits done. Best priced I've found too!:D

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

They weren't the friendliest to be honest.

Reads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the nice thing about printing on wide format inkjets like i do is i can print basically at any custom size

both paper and canvas etc

so if you stuck give me a shout i can help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

i assume you pointed at a print they already had there and sait: ''i want something like that...''

sounds like the print was panoramic, quite wide and not too tall. i think the least they could have done is to look at the photo you wanted printed and told you what options you have...they didn't know themselves my guess is...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

Sounds like they don't want your business, or they haven't a clue.

I'd avoid them - there are plenty of places online that would do it at a better price, and you can crop/resize your image easily online, so you can see what it's like.
    I use photobox, print quality is good, and good price too - not sure about canvas prints though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

who are these people anyway? i think you should name and shame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above stcstc, www.360-dpi.com Steve has done prints for me before and even advised me through the set up of my own printer, he is very knowledgeable and you could simply send him your image through stp and he'll have it ready for you as soon as you need it. Great quality too and the bonus is a very friendly service.

Advertisement