Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the US as an (effective) illegal alien - will I be hassled?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

After several years of living in the United States of America is something of an in-between situation, I will be leaving the country and returning to Ireland during the week coming. Outside of my immigration status, I have committed no crimes, but my concern is that I may be detained upon leaving the country. Has anyone here had experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

They'll detain you if you re-enter, but you should have no issue leaving...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 talkin2spiders

How did you manage to live in the states for so long, were you able to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

U will of course be given hassle leaving!! hey will want to know wtf you have been doing and why and where you have been how you have managed to live there who ur employer is and you will never be allowed to return to the states again

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

U will of course be given hassle leaving!! hey will want to know wtf you have been doing and why and where you have been how you have managed to live there who ur employer is and you will never be allowed to return to the states again

Are you sure , or just guessing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Who exactly will be giving you hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

defo wont get back into US again,this i know.wouldnt be surprised if they wanted a little chat tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I very much doubt you'll have any trouble leaving, unless you had criminal issues while in the USA. They'll be glad to see you gone, without them having to go through the hassle of deportation. As others have said, you won't be able to come back easily though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

if u out stay your visa up to year its a 3 year ban, if you've stayed longer than year its a 10year ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Granted it is not the USA but a mate of mine hung around for 2 years longer than he should of in Australia. His passport number was flagged and he was giving a talking to at the airport and an endorsement of I think 3 years on his passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

They'll certainly give you a stern talking to. The customs officers take that offence very seriously. After being told off you'll be let return here and as said you'll be banned from returning to the states for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I knew a lot of people who overstayed visas in the usa and never heard of any of them getting hassle for it.
    But that was about 10 years ago, so time might have changed, and they would have been there between 3 months and a year, not several years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I had absolutely no hassle in leaving the US - whew.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fenster wrote: »
    I had absolutely no hassle in leaving the US - whew.

You may now wish to update the location onyour profile!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement