Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it OK to abuse opposition fans at a soccer match?

• 08-11-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

An issue here arising from a conversation in the fedback thread that went off tangent. Our moderator therecklessone claims he sees nothing wrong with roaring abuse at opposition fans at a soccer match. The example he used is "dirty norverners" roared at Sunderland fans.

So my question to you is does this kind of behaviour have a place in soccer? Or should it be discouraged if at all possible?

Is it OK to abuse opposition fans at a soccer match? 83 votes

Yes, its all part of the game and makes the atmosphere better
    0%
    No, people should concentrate on supprting their team, not windin g up opposition fans
    100%
    RasTaPHBThanx 4 The Fishcournionisuper_furryWashoutV9TöpherHelixtherecklessoneFighting IrishVillainKoldgrowlerGuy:IncognitogimmickIagoraven136Kingp35_blank_ 83 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its usually banterish and harmless, I don't see any prob with it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

No, people should concentrate on supprting their team, not windin g up opposition fans
    It depends on what should be discouraged. A bit of banter is okay, but not personally attacking the opposition. That's a no-no. Football should be a game where two teams go out to play for 90 minutes and either one team wins or it is a draw. Fans should also respect their team and the opposition team.

However that is Never going to happen. People are going to hurl abuse at opposition fans, especially if it's the likes of a derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bear in mind I'm not saying that it doesn't happen as it quite obviously does.

But does that make it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't think so, what if it escalates into something dangerous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

People want to sanitise football to a huge extent...no drinking, no smoking, no standing, no cursing, no pissing in the deep end...no balls at all?

Is singing 60,000 muppets (ignore the maths, it's all about the song) at Old Trafford OK?

Is singing "sign on" to Scousers OK?

Of course there are limits, singing about Hillsbrough, or Heysel, or Munich, or paedo songs is wrong...but do we really want to sit serenely in our seats, clutching out song sheets in our hands, waving our plastic flags and listening to the PA play music when our team scores? May as well just provide CGI crowds and artificial audio for all the difference it will make...:rolleyes:

I'll admit to embellishing my account of yesterday's game a little, I think I only made one reference to dirty norveners (yes, with the spelling, I'm an awfully uncouth individual), but it is good to let loose every once in while...it's great seeing visiting fans appeal for a peno then watch the response as thousands respond with varying levels of abuse/expletives.

Lighten up ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I voted yes, I would consider it okay to hurl abuse at one of your teams rivals or a club you could be up against for promotion/relegation. But if you hurl abuse at every single player that lines out against your club then perhaps something is wrong, focus should be on supporting your own club first.

Abuse as in chanting right?

It goes on all the time at every ground. Part and parcel. Once it isn't racist etc what's the harm?

Been at Pool - United games and merseyside derbys and it's extremely hostile but fantastic. Taking away the hostility would be a travesty and would tarnish these fixtures.

People want to sanitise football to a huge extent...no drinking, no smoking, no standing, no cursing, no pissing in the deep end...no balls at all?

Is singing 60,000 muppets (ignore the maths, it's all about the song) at Old Trafford OK?

Of course there are limits, singing about Hillsbrough, or Heysel, or Munich, or paedo songs is wrong...but do we really want to sit serenely in our seats, clutching out song sheets in our hands, waving our plastic flags and listening to the PA play music when our team scores? May as well just provide CGI crowds and artificial audio for all the difference it will make...:rolleyes:

I'll admit to embellishing my account of yesterday's game a little, I think I only made one reference to dirty norveners (yes, with the spelling, I'm an awfully uncouth individual), but it is good to let loose every once in while...it's great seeing visiting fans appeal for a peno then watch the response as thousands respond with varying levels of abuse/expletives.

Lighten up ffs.

I just find the mantality of someone turning up to a match more worried about opposition fans and getting a dig in at them, rather than getting behind their team hard to understand.

My experience of live sport would mainly be as a GAA supporter. If I was at Waterford match against say Antrim and a guy beside me was roaring abuse at their fans, calling them "dirty Nordies" I wouldn't be long about telling him to cop the f*ck on and get behind his own team.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I just find the mantality of someone turning up to a match more worried about opposition fans and getting a dig in at them, rather than getting behind their team hard to understand.

My experience of live sport would mainly be as a GAA supporter. If I was at Waterford match against say Antrim and a guy beside me was roaring abuse at their fans, calling them "dirty Nordies" I wouldn't be long about telling him to cop the f*ck on and get behind his own team.

Do you go to many football(soccer)games?

GAA is completely different. Supporters aren't segregated and rarely chant. You can't compare the two.

But you're assuming we are more interested in the opposition than our own. That is not the case, I don't go to football to abuse oppo fans, I go to support my team. It just happens that at times during the game there'll be a little give and take between the fans, points of controversy that ignite passionate responses.

Do you have a problem with people singing "the referee's a wan*er"? You pulled me up on the fan thing, but I shouted far more at the officials yesterday than the Sunderland fans.

What about songs about opposition players? One of the best chants I've heard in years was at Chelsea vs Everton when the Chelsea fans spent about 20mins singing "Neville, you're a cúnt" to the tune of YNWA. It sounded fantastic, and came across loud and clear on TV. I'd say Sky were sh1tting themselves...:D

Soccer is not GAA, stop trying to compare the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

People who dont engage in the banter/abuse/chanting at a football match should be at home sitting in their armchairs with their hot chocolate.

They contribute nothing, and yet, will still give out when they are watching a game on television and there is no atmosphere.

Racism is over the line though. As is abusing a players wife/family/kids etc.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Do you go to many football(soccer)games?

GAA is completely different. Supporters aren't segregated, rarely chant. You can't compare the two.
    I've been to soccer matches all over the world, from Old Trafford to the Bernebeu, from Landsdowne Road to Flancare Park. I know what goes on. I just don't think its necessary.

It begs the question, why are soccer fans segregated? Is it because they can't be trusted to get on without abusing each other and the inevitable trouble that will follow from such abuse?

Those who voted yes will undoubtedly say (and already have said) that if you stop opposition fans abusing each other you'll lose some of the atmosphere that makes live soccer so attractive. MY point would be that you can easily generate a cracking atmosphere without resorting to directing peurile chants at opposition fans, as evidenced by the examples of sports such as GAA and rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

People who dont engage in the banter/abuse/chanting at a football match should be at home sitting in their armchairs with their hot chocolate.

They contribute nothing, and yet, will still give out when they are watching a game on television and there is no atmosphere.

Racism is over the line though. As is abusing a players wife/family/kids etc.
    There's a massive line between Arsenal, We're by far the greatest team and say united singing Sit Down You Pedo .

Chanting is one thing, Abuse is another subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It all depends on what is being said. If it is songs or chants slagging off the other team, then I see no harm.

But if it becomes chants or songs that have nothing to do with the game, or simply a thug mentality, then it has no place in the game.

Then again most of the ones that chant or pass comments like that at a game are just little bigots and defo cowards as they would not walk up to a person without a big gang beside them and make the same comments.

When things like the Munich plane crash, Hillsborough, skin colour, nationality etc are the norm at grounds, then that is the stage where the police should step in.

Maybe some will call that being too pc, but there has to be a limit in what can be said.

Soneone made a comment about singing sign on at scousers. Would the same guy walk up to someone with a Liverpool accent in the street and try the same thing?

Same goes for idiots that sing about Munich, Harold Shipman, and Ian Huntley. Those brainless idiots should be nbanned from grounds too.

I've been to soccer matches all over the world, from Old Trafford to the Bernebeu, from Landsdowne Road to Flancare Park. I know what goes on. I just don't think its necessary.

It begs the question, why are soccer fans segregated? Is it because they can't be trusted to get on without abusing each other and the inevitable trouble that will follow from such abuse?

Those who voted yes will undoubtedly say (and already have said) that if you stop opposition fans abusing each other you'll lose some of the atmosphere that makes live soccer so attractive. MY point would be that you can easily generate a cracking atmosphere without resorting to directing peurile chants at opposition fans, as evidenced by the examples of sports such as GAA and rugby.

Can you imagine mixing Liverpool- United fans, or Celtic-Rangers, Villa-Brum, Spurs -Arsenal. The list goes on. Bloodshed would ensue.

Can you imagine mixing Liverpool- United fans, or Celtic-Rangers, Villa-Brum, Spurs -Arsenal. The list goes on. Bloodshed would ensue.

Really says something that people cannot not go to a game and sit near each other without the risk of violence.

Amazing how it can be done in many other sports.

But you're assuming we are more interested in the opposition than our own. That is not the case, I don't go to football to abuse oppo fans, I go to support my team. It just happens that at times during the game there'll be a little give and take between the fans, points of controversy that ignite passionate responses.

Do you have a problem with people singing "the referee's a wan*er"? You pulled me up on the fan thing, but I shouted far more at the officials yesterday than the Sunderland fans.

What about songs about opposition players? One of the best chants I've heard in years was at Chelsea vs Everton when the Chelsea fans spent about 20mins singing "Neville, you're a cúnt" to the tune of YNWA. It sounded fantastic, and came across loud and clear on TV. I'd say Sky were sh1tting themselves...:D

Nah refs generally deserve all the abuse they get.:pac:

But seriously, I find reacting to something that happens before your very eyes o the pitch easier to take than fans going to the trouble of making up chants to abuse opposition fans. While I'm sure that wasn't your motivation the other day, there are undoubtedly fans who do go to matches and seem more concerned with winding up rival fans than the game on the pitch. If you don't believe me just have a look at some of the fan forums out there and the reams of threads set up just to make up abusive songs about players.

Soccer is not GAA, stop trying to compare the two.

I think its perfectly valid to compare the way supporters of two different sports conduct thelselves while at matches. If one set of fans can generate a good atmosphere withput resorting to abusing each other, why can't another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Kess73 wrote: »
    Really says something that people cannot not go to a game and sit near each other without the risk of violence.

Amazing how it can be done in many other sports.

I agree, just curious as this would be my example were the irish and english mixed at croke park for the rugby ?

So that makes it OK that it has to be done in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

I can sit in the pub and abuse my Pool/ chelsea/ Arsenal friends, and would expect it back. Singing chants with a few thousand fans beside you is a variation on that feeling, and is something very special that adds to being at a live game.
    I also agree that there's a masssive difference when you cross the racism/ personal attack line, as opposed to abusing a team for being a rival.
    Mostly, so long as you dont hope to go all "green street" fighter afterwards, its fine with me.

• Advertisement

Brien wrote: »
    I can sit in the pub and abuse my Pool/ chelsea/ Arsenal friends, and would expect it back. Singing chants with a few thousand fans beside you is a variation on that feeling, and is something very special that adds to being at a live game.
    I also agree that there's a masssive difference when you cross the racism/ personal attack line, as opposed to abusing a team for being a rival.
    Mostly, so long as you dont hope to go all "green street" fighter afterwards, its fine with me.

Would agree with this. A bit of banter and fun is fine, but as you have said, once it crosses into racism/personal abuse etctec then it has gone too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Its all part of the match day banter.

I hope it never goes away and the political correctness brigade leave it alone.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I agree, just curious as this would be my example were the irish and english mixed at croke park for the rugby ?

I have no idea as to whether they were mixed of not.

But on a smaller scale, take local level rugby in Ireland. Say Cork Cons were Playing Garryowen. I would be stunned to see any need for segregation despite thousands of fans being present. And afterwards they can all walk out of the ground together without punch ups etc.

Same if Munster are playing, there is no need to think that there will be violence amonst fans.

The difference between banter and abuse is important.

I'd define banter as something that you'd be happy to say to someones face, such as slagging a few United fans in the pub because Liverpool have more European Cups. Thats fine.

But abuse is something that you wouldn't say to someones face in the pub. Like I seriously doubt thereckleesone would go up to a bunch of Sunderland fans in the pub and call them "dirty norveners." (Unless our mod is a seriously double hard bastid ;))

Its all part of the match day banter.

I hope it never goes away and the political correctness brigade leave it alone.

Some of what happens and gets said should have no part in match day banter.

So that makes it OK that it has to be done in the first place?

I'm not up on the history of segregation and when it started etc but in England in the 70s and 80s violence was part and parcel of the game unfortunately outside and inside the grounds. How could you mix these fans when they were having battles outside the stadiums?

These days there is rarely violence inside the grounds (in England) due to CCTV and a few away fans mingle with the home crowd. I've been to White Harte Lane in a pool jersey with a few Spurs mates but had enough cop on to keep fairly quiet.

I have no idea as to whether they were mixed of not.

But on a smaller scale, take local level rugby in Ireland. Say Cork Cons were Playing Garryowen. I would be stunned to see any need for segregation despite thousands of fans being present. And afterwards they can all walk out of the ground together without punch ups etc.

Same if Munster are playing, there is no need to think that there will be violence amonst fans.

We are talking about football here, not rugby or GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lighten up ffs.

Never thought id see the day id agree with a yido.........:D

I'm not up on the history of segregation and when it started etc but in England in the 70s and 80s violence was part and parcel of the game unfortunately outside and inside the grounds. How could you mix these fans when they were having battles outside the stadiums?

These days there is rarely violence inside the grounds (in England) due to CCTV and a few away fans mingle with the home crowd. I've been to White Harte Lane in a pool jersey with a few Spurs mates but had enough cop on to keep fairly quiet.

Again, all you're saying here is that violence happens between soccer fans when you throw them together. What I want to know is WHY this hapoens when supporters of other sports can mingle easily and almost always in a good natured way? Is it because abusing each other and pretty much saying what you like has become such an accepted part of going to a soccer match? Whereas in other sports such behaviour is frowned upon for the most part?

• Advertisement

The difference between banter and abuse is important.

I'd define banter as something that you'd be happy to say to someones face, such as slagging a few United fans in the pub because Liverpool have more European Cups. Thats fine.

But abuse is something that you wouldn't say to someones face in the pub. Like I seriously doubt thereckleesone would go up to a bunch of Sunderland fans in the pub and call them "dirty norveners." (Unless our mod is a seriously double hard bastid ;))

Exactly. I have seen some disgraceful stuff inside Anfield, and while a lot of Liverpool fans will not like to admit it goes on there, it does and often it is Liverpool fan on Liverpol fan.

Was over with a friend and his father one time, and there was three Indian lads sitting behind us. During the first half, some Liverpool supporter, and I use the term loosely, decided it would be fun to mock their skin colour and accents. Now this was a guy who was there to support Liverpool roaring racial abuse at another group who were there to support Liverpool.

We said it to the steward, and got the usual steward line of "oh I did not hear it, so I cannot do anything"

So my mate stood up, and said to one of the guys, Satwinder as we got his name after that, would he swap seats with him. So Satwinder climbed over the seat and took my mate's seat and my mate went back a row and sat between the idiot throwing abuse and Satwinder's mates.

At this point the idiot was not happy as my mate is well over six foot and being a boxer, was 16 stone of muscle. So the idiot then goes crying to the steward abouyt them swapping seats and the steward comes up and goes to give grief over it. So my mate stood his ground and said to the steward that he wanted a policman to be brought up as he wanted to make a complaint about racism and that he was will to give a full statement, and include in the statement that he reported it to the steward earlier.

Suddenly the seat swapping became no problem, and the idiot had to spend the rest of the half and the second half with a agitated big boxer sitting beside him. Strangely enough he made no more funny Indian jokes.

My point is that nobody should have to go to a game and get abused for skin colour or race, and it has no place being called banter.

Calling it banter is just something that cowards say about things they would be scared to say to a stranger's face if one on one.

It is still two large crowds who support different teams. No doubt those rugby or GAA fans are just as passionate about their teams, but they don't have to drop to the same levels, and still can generate atmosphere at the grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I don't think anyone will defend racism, and should be shot if they do. Incidents like this happen all over the world in all walks of life, and yes its unfortunate it happened, but that particular incident did not happen because of football fans lust for abuse just because it happened at football. It happened because some racist tosser had a go.

The comparison is still well worth making. Especially when one set of supporters behave in such a amanner as to necessitate them being physically kept apart, yet supporters of other sports can mingle freely.

Soneone made a comment about singing sign on at scousers. Would the same guy walk up to someone with a Liverpool accent in the street and try the same thing?

Same goes for idiots that sing about Munich, Harold Shipman, and Ian Huntley. Those brainless idiots should be nbanned from grounds too.

You're equating "sign on" to the rest of the things you've listed. Wow...

Let me paint a picture...a few years ago Spurs took 5000 fans to Wigan for our first visit in the PL. During the match a lone Wigan fan was spotted off to our right, nobody sitting anywhere near him, and he was quickly christened "Billy No Mates". A good half of our fans spent most of the first half singing "one Billy No Mates" at him. When someone else came down to sit beside him we sang "Billy's got a boyfriend" It was good natured, and he took it the right way. At half time a Spurs fan gave £20 to a steward who walked around to Billy and gave him the money to buy himself a pint. Billy fecked off, had his beer, then cam back with the change, and the steward came back to the Spurs fan.

It was funny, and it was good natured, and it helped liven up a cold November afternoon.

Would I walk up to a randomer in a pub and call him Billy No Mates cos he's sitting on his own? Absolutely not, I have a survival instinct that tells me strangers may not see the funny side and might actually want to hurt me. Does that make me a coward?

I notice you didn't take umbrage at my abuse of the referee either, I take it you'd walk up to one in the street and call him a wanker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Most football matches pass off peacefully, segregation is a safety measure, and adds to the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Again, all you're saying here is that violence happens between soccer fans when you throw them together. What I want to know is WHY this hapoens when supporters of other sports can mingle easily and almost always in a good natured way? Is it because abusing each other and pretty much saying what you like has become such an accepted part of going to a soccer match? Whereas in other sports such behaviour is frowned upon for the most part?

Possibly soccer attracted what people/media call lower classes of society historically I'm not sure. As I said earlier I'm not up to speed on the history of football segregation.

To use examples of a sport you referred to I've witnessed/read about violence at GAA matches plenty of times amongst players and supporters.

Only recently in galway a referee had to be escorted off the pitch after been attacked by players and fans. he had to hide in his locked dressing room until the guards came while supporters tried to get into him.
    Exactly. I have seen some disgraceful stuff inside Anfield, and while a lot of Liverpool fans will not like to admit it goes on there, it does and often it is Liverpool fan on Liverpol fan.

Was over with a friend and his father one time, and there was three Indian lads sitting behind us. During the first half, some Liverpool supporter, and I use the term loosely, decided it would be fun to mock their skin colour and accents. Now this was a guy who was there to support Liverpool roaring racial abuse at another group who were there to support Liverpool.

We said it to the steward, and got the usual steward line of "oh I did not hear it, so I cannot do anything"

So my mate stood up, and said to one of the guys, Satwinder as we got his name after that, would he swap seats with him. So Satwinder climbed over the seat and took my mate's seat and my mate went back a row and sat between the idiot throwing abuse and Satwinder's mates.

At this point the idiot was not happy as my mate is well over six foot and being a boxer, was 16 stone of muscle. So the idiot then goes crying to the steward abouyt them swapping seats and the steward comes up and goes to give grief over it. So my mate stood his ground and said to the steward that he wanted a policman to be brought up as he wanted to make a complaint about racism and that he was will to give a full statement, and include in the statement that he reported it to the steward earlier.

Suddenly the seat swapping became no problem, and the idiot had to spend the rest of the half and the second half with a agitated big boxer sitting beside him. Strangely enough he made no more funny Indian jokes.

My point is that nobody should have to go to a game and get abused for skin colour or race, and it has no place being called banter.

Calling it banter is just something that cowards say about things they would be scared to say to a stranger's face if one on one.

I find it hard to believe this fan wasn't thrown out of the ground for reported racist abuse. It isn't tolerated anymore.

Possibly soccer attracted what people/media call lower classes of society historically I'm not sure. As I said earlier I'm not up to speed on the history of football segregation.

To use examples of a sport you referred to I've witnessed/read about violence at GAA matches plenty of times amongst players and supporters.

Only recently in galway a referee had to be escorted off the pitch after been attacked by players and fans. he had to hide in his locked dressing room until the guards came while supporters tried to get into him.

VERY isolated incident to be fair. I've been to almost every single major GAA match in this country in the past 5-6 years and not once have I seen even a hint of abuse between fans. On those occasions that someone makes an out orf order comment towards opposition fans they're usually hushed down fairly quickly, often by supporters of the same team.

In general abuse amongst fans is almost non-existent amongst GAA supporters, but happens at every natch in soccer. It begs the question why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Atari Jaguar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

VERY isolated incident to be fair. I've been to almost every single major GAA match in this country in the past 5-6 years and not once have I seen even a hint of abuse between fans. On those occasions that someone makes an out orf order comment towards opposition fans they're usually hushed down fairly quickly, often by supporters of the same team.

In general abuse amongst fans is almost non-existent amongst GAA supporters, but happens at every natch in soccer. It begs the question why?

The GAA is one big homogenous organisation, most supporters and players at any game will be members and as such a more communal atmosphere is surely to be expected. The same can be said im sure for the provincial rugby teams seeing as they have a financial umbilical cord to the IRFU.

Football is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Of course banter is ok. I know the OP was talking about abuse but calling Sunderlanders 'dirty norveners' is only a bit of banter. I probably wouldn't say it to strangers but that's because I don't know how they'll react. I would say it to mates if there is banter going on and that's because I know how they'll take it, they know it's a bit of banter. The same applies to thousands of fans, everybody knows the context. If people from different areas aren't having some banter about the relative value of their respective areas then something isn't right imo. Obviously racism is unacceptable. Also distasteful abuse of club tragedies and things like that. But inter local put downs and general banter is fine with me.

Lots of people saying this stuff doesn't go on at rugby matches. As i understand it, there is actually a fair bit of banter between Leinster and Munster supporters
    Leinster = flipflop and sunglasses wearing D4ers
    Munster = turnip jugglers

It is true that football fans have to be segregated but tbh i find it more strange that fans in other sports don't have to be. With the high levels of banter and passionate support (both of which are natural and reasonable), huge crowds, hundred year history and regular competition, it only makes sense that fans need to be kept apart imho.

Maybe rugby and gaa's different histories and set ups explain the different crowd behaviours. I know that rugby has just gone through massive change in setup and levels of support for example.

• Advertisement

The GAA is one big homogenous organisation, most supporters and players at any game will be members and as such a more communal atmosphere is surely to be expected. The same can be said im sure for the provincial rugby teams seeing as they have a financial umbilical cord to the IRFU.

Football is different.

I don't buy this explanation. You think that a Cork supporter sitting beside a Kerry supporter looks at him and decides not to abuse him because they're both might be members of the GAA??? And do supporters who aren't members abuse each other more often? Makes no sense.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Abusing the opposition (without getting too serious) is part and parcel of being at a football match

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I've been to almost every single major GAA match in this country in the past 5-6 years and not once have I seen even a hint of abuse between fans. On those occasions that someone makes an out orf order comment towards opposition fans they're usually hushed down fairly quickly, often by supporters of the same team.

tbh gaa sounds boring and sanitized the way you describe it there. I'm taking into account what you described as 'abuse' earlier in the OP. It sounds like a bunch of auld ones and primary school teachers all saying 'why can't we just get along?'

just gives me another reason to avoid the gaa though, which i'm alright with :)

Pro. F wrote: »
    tbh gaa sounds boring and sanitized the way you describe it there. I'm taking into account what you described as 'abuse' earlier in the OP. It sounds like a bunch of auld ones and primary school teachers all saying 'why can't we just get along?'

just gives me another reason to avoid the gaa though, which i'm alright with :)
    Go to a match and you'll realise you couldn't be further from the truth.

It is possible to generate an amazing atmosphere at a match without resortimg to sub-literate jeers directed at opposition fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

My experience of live sport would mainly be as a GAA supporter.

There's your problem. Big difference between the two sports in terms of fan mentallity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I couldn't cope being a Rovers fan if I said no :pac:

Leejo wrote: »
    There's your problem. Big difference between the two sports in terms of fan mentallity.
    Big word in my post isis mainly.

Also tell me why is the mentality different? What compells a soccer fan to abuse opposition fans, but GAA fans rarely see the need?

Explain it to me. Everyone seems to want to post in this thread that GAA and soccer fans are different, that abusing each other is part and parcel of going to soccer. I'm well aware of these facts. But not one person has explained that mentality to me or why it should be so.

Is it because in reality there is no good reason for soccer fans to abuse each other?

Go to a match and you'll realise you couldn't be further from the truth.

It is possible to generate an amazing atmosphere at a match without resortimg to sub-literate jeers directed at opposition fans.

Different strokes for different folks.

Some Football fans follow their team all around England(or whatever country) and/or Europe for 10 months of the year. It's their life.

The atmosphere generated at a gaa match revolves around the fast action continuously happening as the games are much faster.

In a soccer match the game is much slower and fans chanting at each other fills in the gaps where not much is happening on the pitch.

If you think "Dirty Norvener" is a bad insult then maybe you are easily offended. I call mates of mine worse and vice versa. It's called banter and without it foetball would be dull.

Different strokes for different folks.

Some Football fans follow their team all around England(or whatever country) and/or Europe for 10 months of the year. It's their life.

The atmosphere generated at a gaa match revolves around the fast action continuously happening as the games are much faster.

In a soccer match the game is much slower and fans chanting at each other fills in the gaps where not much is happening on the pitch.

If you think "Dirty Norvener" is a bad insult then maybe you are easily offended. I call mates of mine worse and vice versa. It's called banter and without it foetball would be dull.

Soccer fans abuse each other because they're a bit bored sometimes?

Thats a new one.

Soccer fans abuse each other because they're a bit bored sometimes?

Thats a new one.

It's not all abusive chanting that goes on at matches! I think you may be getting banter and abuse mixed up.

Do you chant at matches or would you be considered as Keane said part of the prawn sandwich brigade?

• Advertisement
Advertisement