Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Spin The Only Thing This Government Does Well?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Government spin has succeeded in pitting public against private workers; getting people talking about drink drive limits and blasphemy; anything and everything but the real issues such as the nama cowboy and the untaxed rich and the bankers riding into the sunset with our hard earnings. How well the spin has worked. Cant wait to see what they raise up next....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Swine flu? Coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

they do debt quite well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Government spin has succeeded in pitting public against private workers; getting people talking about drink drive limits and blasphemy; anything and everything but the real issues such as the nama cowboy and the untaxed rich and the bankers riding into the sunset with our hard earnings. How well the spin has worked. Cant wait to see what they raise up next....

Well there is an opposition. I think the question should be why when we have probably the weakest government in the history of the state can the opposition still not make it fall.

I would suggest part of the reason is RTE's been acting like a government propaganda machine on political issues for a while and the station should be privatised IMO (keep the infrastructure for broadcasting in public ownership and use license payers money to fund roll out of things like digital tv and HD but I don't think the state has an business owning a business that comments on government issues (conflict of interest) nor should the state be paying talk show hosts hundreds of thousands. It just doesn't make sense.

The only other reason might be that the opposition don't want power or are actually just incapable of getting it in which case one would have to fear for what they would do if they got it which plays into FF's hands too.

The spin is easy to do when you control the media. I think the government is capable of doing many things well but invested interests cause them to behave illogically and fook things up. Any government will be like this which is why I think none should be left in power for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i find it incredibly patronising when i read that the goverment has succeeded in pitting public against private workers , as if we in the private sector were glove puppets who were too stupid to figure it out for ourselves how much of a premium the public sector has over the private , eoghan harris put it best on radio the other day , the facts have formed the private sector workers minds

hundreds of thousands of private sector job losses veruses a tiny number of temporary public sector job losses
    25 - 40% pay differences
    pension which is bullett proof compared to the private sector
    the list goes on

stop recycling union rhetoric like some union indoctrinated clone and develop some independant thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

thebman wrote: »
    Well there is an opposition. I think the question should be why when we have probably the weakest government in the history of the state can the opposition still not make it fall.

I would suggest part of the reason is RTE's been acting like a government propaganda machine on political issues for a while and the station should be privatised IMO (keep the infrastructure for broadcasting in public ownership and use license payers money to fund roll out of things like digital tv and HD but I don't think the state has an business owning a business that comments on government issues (conflict of interest) nor should the state be paying talk show hosts hundreds of thousands. It just doesn't make sense.

The only other reason might be that the opposition don't want power or are actually just incapable of getting it in which case one would have to fear for what they would do if they got it which plays into FF's hands too.

The spin is easy to do when you control the media. I think the government is capable of doing many things well but invested interests cause them to behave illogically and fook things up. Any government will be like this which is why I think none should be left in power for too long.

RTE as per usual has been incredibly soft on the public sector and only gives the illusion of asking the hard questions , union rhetoric is mostly left unscrutinised , pat kenny on the frontline was the only one from RTE ive seen dig in , for real in depth questioning you have to listen to newstalk or today fm

the public sector and thier unions have no moral authority whatsoever on the issue of cuts so it would be astonishing if any media outlet seemed to be competley siding with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

America does Spin. The Irish Twirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

The government are not good at spin. They are good at spending taxpayers money on employing people that are good at spin, some of whom used to work for RTE and newspapers and have lots of friendly media contacts.

Also worth pointing out that if you're a journalist and you piss of the government, you probably won't even get a soundbite, let alone an interview with anyone in government for a long long time. Not going soft can be a career killer. Mary Harney point blank refuses to go on The Right Hook because Hook gave her a hard time for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

was charlie bird transported to washington ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

To be fair they're also very good at lining their pockets with taxpayer money as well as being pretty good at pocketing brown envelopes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

They do Incompetence very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement