Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thought Experiment - New Drug Discovered

• 08-11-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

Just a quick thought experiment. I wanna see what other Irish people would say.

Alternate reality: It's 2009, a new drug has been discovered the main effect of which is decreased inhibition.

The side effects, depending on exposure, include, but are not limited to, inability to reason, nausea, vomiting, loosing conciousness, headaches, depression, liver damage and even birth defects.

Is this new drug, 'alcohol', legalised? Thoughts?

I'd say it'd get banned right off the bat and that the government would roll out a massive anti-drug campaign and an education program dealing with the harmful effects of this new danger

EDIT: This isn't intended as an argument to legalise other drugs bdw, just want to see what you'd think about it if it was just discovered

EDITEDIT: just wanted to add in birth defects and liver damage to the side effects list
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I'd say yes, it would be legalised. The main reason being its extremley low levels of addictiveness. The stuff you quoted would happen to you if you took too much of anything! Give a child too many sweets for example!

I'd say it'd get banned right off the bat and that the government would roll out a massive anti-drug campaign and an education program dealing with the harmful effects of this new danger

Nope, they'd realize they could legalize it, tax it and ban every alternative that could lower that tax revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It would be made illegal for sure

I'd say yes, it would be legalised. The main reason being its extremley low levels of addictiveness. The stuff you quoted would happen to you if you took too much of anything! Give a child too many sweets for example!

Taking the piss yea? When you look at what is illegal, alcohol is much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Taking the piss yea? When you look at what is illegal, alcohol is much worse.

Sore head have we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

Just added liver damage to the list of side effects

Sore head have we?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Illegal. You say this thread isn't for debating other drugs, but you know rightly it would come up :P

Apply the same criteria to cannabis, I'd say legal. I wouldn't mind if they swapped the laws even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Alternate reality: It's 2009, a new drug has been discovered the main effect of which is decreased inhibition.

The side effects, depending on exposure, include, but are not limited to, inability to reason, nausea, vomiting, loosing conciousness, headaches, depression and liver damage.

EDIT: This isn't intended as an argument to legalise other drugs bdw, just want to see what you'd think about it if it was just discovered

EDITEDIT: just wanted to add in liver damage to the side effects list

As long as I can have a nice tobaccoey, cancery cigarette, who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ireland's top scientists would have discovered a way to turn our race into pure energy [/family guy] :pac:

• Advertisement

Illegal. You say this thread isn't for debating other drugs, but you know rightly it would come up :P

Apply the same criteria to cannabis, I'd say legal. I wouldn't mind if they swapped the laws even.

heh, yea, i know :o just wanted to say it wasn't my original intent

food for thought:
    Top ten most dangerous drugs:
    1. Heroin - popular street names include smack, skag, and junk.
    2. Cocaine - often referred to as snow, flake, coke, and blow.
    3. Barbiturates - popular slang names include yellow jackets, reds, blues, Amy's, and rainbows.
    4. Street Methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine - a powerful hallucinogen, often referred to as Special K.
    7. Benzodiazepines - a family of sedative drugs.
    8. Amphetamines - known as greenies among baseball players.
    9. Tobacco
    10. Buprenorphine - also called bupe or subbies.

NOTE: not too sure of the credibility of that site :/ anyone got a better source?
    slightly better:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/02/david-nutt-dangerous-drug-list

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Prohibition works. People never use banned substances, they're not curious about them and banning them will not endow them with an aura of mystery. If they were legal no doubt everyone would be using them.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Alternate reality: it is the year 2009, mankind faces an epic struggle for survival. The forces of nature have spun wildly out of control. Mighty cities have crumbled and the dinosaurs have returned to reclaim the Earth. In this savage land, one man stands alone - Jack Tenrac, defending humanity in a world gone mad. A world where only the strong survive; a world of...

Is this world Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? Thoughts?

CuLT wrote: »
    Alternate reality: it is the year 2009, mankind faces an epic struggle for survival. The forces of nature have spun wildly out of control. Mighty cities have crumbled and the dinosaurs have returned to reclaim the Earth. In this savage land, one man stands alone - Jack Tenrac, defending humanity in a world gone mad. A world where only the strong survive; a world of...

Is this world Cadillacs and Dinosaurs? Thoughts?

:confused: so... are you saying it wouldn't be? :confused:

(also, I'd totally see that movie... just once it wasn't done by Michael Bay)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

:confused: so... are you saying it wouldn't be? :confused:

(also, I'd totally see that movie... just once it wasn't done by Michael Bay)
    I'm not sure what I'm saying really, I just read your opening paragraph and thought of cadillacs and dinosaurs :o

CuLT wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm saying really, I just read your opening paragraph and thought of cadillacs and dinosaurs :o

:eek: holy awesome batman!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

food for thought:
    3. Barbiturates - popular slang names include yellow jackets, reds, blues, Amy's, and rainbows.
    4. Street Methadone
    5. Alcohol
    9. Tobacco

NOTE: not too sure of the credibility of that site :/ anyone got a better source?
    slightly better:

Strange, I would've though Tobacco is more addictive than alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Strange, I would've though Tobacco is more addictive than alcohol.

Addictiveness != dangerousness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yeah, alcohol and fags would definately be banned but for the fact they've been around since the year dot. I wouldn't mind seeing fags getting banned right now, the fags make the hangover so much worse. I would like to see canabis getting legalised though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Probably would be, yeah. But how boring, the only reason I drink alcohol is the actual drinking part really. Liquids and all that. The effects of alcohol are pretty **** on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is another cannibas arguement right..... The same could be said for ciggerattes. Then again petrol as it harms the environment. The list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yeah, we'd definitely need something; if not alcohol, then something else to take the edge off life. imagine waking up every morning knowing this is as good as it gets ... shudder!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Addictiveness != dangerousness

Oh right sorry, didn't notice that. Makes sense now I guess. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

food for thought:
    4. Street Methadone
    5. Alcohol
    9. Tobacco

slightly better:

Methanphetamine and crack should be in the list above Heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

rarnes1 wrote: »

Crack is a form of cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Crack is a form of cocaine.

Both very different drugs though. Crack is a hell of a lot more addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Both very different drugs though. Crack is a hell of a lot more addictive.

As has been stated before, "addictive" and "dangerous" aren't necessarily the same thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭WeWillBeReborn

The side effects, depending on exposure, include, but are not limited to, inability to reason, nausea, vomiting, loosing conciousness, headaches, depression, liver damage and even birth defects.

EDITEDIT: just wanted to add in birth defects and liver damage to the side effects list
    This sounds like an episode of Fringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

rarnes1 wrote: »

i'd imagine the method of taking the drug - ie, injecting, would be included as part of the danger with heroin. HIV, hep B, hep C, abscesses, fcuked veins, and just the high risk of going over (O.D), can make it quite a dangerous drug, without factoring in the addictiveness etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

No-one would do it, not even the homeless. Instead people would get the same effects from a far safer drug (probably a benzo or possibly ghb). In such a society drinking alcohol would be seen the same way we look at huffing solvents.

MDMA would also have never taken off because people wouldn't be used to the idea of accepting a horrible aftermath as part of a good weekend.

Advertisement