Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aisling Hotel has a Dublin 8 Postcode but is in Dublin 7 !!!!

Options
  • 08-11-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I know the hotel reopened in may 2009 after a major revamp but why O why has it's formal address suggesting it is south of the Liffey with a D8 address.

Am I right in assuming that Dublin 7 is only north of the Liffey and Dublon 8 is ONLY south of the Liffey?

May be the Collins Barracks has a south dub postcode too and has been robbed from D7.

What's going on.............explanations most welcome from anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Parkgate St is Dublin 8. 8 stretches into the Park also. The reason has to do with the postal depot which served it which was in Kilmainham or James St. I've won a fair few pints on that one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Aras and American residencey is D8 too.
    Chapelizod is D20.
    It's only a post code.

D.7 is only north of the Liffey...in this you are right. But not in the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That whole area down by Heuston Station - either side of the river - has always been fairly ambiguous in terms of post code, hasn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's always been 8.
    It goes back to the nearest post office to the Vice Regal lodge (now the Áras) being in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

spurious wrote: »
    It's always been 8.
    It goes back to the nearest post office to the Vice Regal lodge (now the Áras) being in Dublin 8.
    I understood that the area was served by the James's Street branch, hence the 'Dublin 8'.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    It's always been 8.
    So the entrance to Phoenix Park is Dublin 8? That's confuzzling...

Dudess wrote: »

Well, the main entrance at Parkgate St. is D.8 as is the exit at Islandbridge but the Chapelizod entrance is D.20 and the N.C.R one is D.7 and then the Castleknock one would be eh...probably D.15 (but open to correction on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Phoenix Park is Dublin 8 even though it's northside (as for specific entrances, erm, Limerick dweller, don't care). All of Chapelizod is Dublin 20 even though it's basically northside. They're the two exceptions and yes, it's to do with sorting offices and where they deliver to.

Silly is the whining people who didn't want to be Dublin 26 when Dublin 6 was split so they became Dublin 6W to stop them from crying about house prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That Dublin 6W postcode sure is an awful silly one. Bleedin' crazy area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Residents of Parkgate St are not allowed to open a bank account in their nearest Bank of Ireland branch, which is on Arran Quay, Dublin 7. They are forced to cross the river & go down to the branch on James’s St, Dublin 8 if they want a Bank of Ireland account. They can, however open one a few doors down, in AIB Arran Quay, Dublin 7.

The only way they can open a BOI account in the Arran Quay branch is if they sell up & relocate to a Dublin 7 address or give up their job & get one whose employer has a Dublin 7 address, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. Quite a few hoops to jump through just to open a bank account!

A postal code can work against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

jeckle wrote: »
    Residents of Parkgate St are not allowed to open a bank account in their nearest Bank of Ireland branch, which is on Arran Quay, Dublin 7. They are forced to cross the river & go down to the branch on James’s St, Dublin 8 if they want a Bank of Ireland account. They can, however open one a few doors down, in AIB Arran Quay, Dublin 7.

The only way they can open a BOI account in the Arran Quay branch is if they sell up & relocate to a Dublin 7 address or give up their job & get one whose employer has a Dublin 7 address, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. Quite a few hoops to jump through just to open a bank account!

A postal code can work against you.

I dont think the banks care about where a person lives as long as they can deposit money in.

in fairness - if someone walked into the BOI and got told they have to goto another branch to set up an account there would most likely loose a lot of customers.

especially as you can use your ATM Card at any machine or withdraw money at any machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I dont think the banks care about where a person lives as long as they can deposit money in.

in fairness - if someone walked into the BOI and got told they have to goto another branch to set up an account there would most likely loose a lot of customers.

especially as you can use your ATM Card at any machine or withdraw money at any machine
    I'm not imagining what happened or what I was told. I know three others who had the same experience, & yes I'm familiar with the workings of an ATM Card.:)

My point is that a postal code can be a hindrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

All that park is Dublin 8 afaik.
    jeckle wrote: »
    I'm not imagining what happened or what I was told. I know three others who had the same experience, & yes I'm familiar with the workings of an ATM Card.:)

My point is that a postal code can be a hindrance.

Still seems very odd to me, my main bank accounts are in Dublin 2, two different banks and I don't, or ever had, an address anywhere near Dublin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

All that park is Dublin 8 afaik.
    St Mary's Hospital in the Phoenix Park is Dublin 20 :)

Odd, as the OSI is also Dublin 8, and the address for the park itself is Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

It would be nice to have visibility of a good PDF map of the city showing the exact postcode boundaries. I had always thought there was a clear Odds and Evens (North/South) divide on Postcodes to make matters relatively simple............alas no............

SO ..........New Aisling Hotel.............. North of the Liffey is in Dublin 8!

Now another Question............is there a sorting office for each Postcode..............TrickyD any answers. We may be able to make a sensibile suggestion to Board Snip in that case !!!!! lol :) Instead of ditching the Grangegorman consolidation of all the VECs in Dublin..........Ouch:D

D7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

.is there a sorting office for each Postcode.
    Most postcodes do have their own D.O though I'm sure there are a few exceptions
    D10/20 springs to mind as it's covered by one D.O.

Cara Cheshire Home is D.20 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

D7 wrote: »
    It would be nice to have visibility of a good PDF map of the city showing the exact postcode boundaries. I had always thought there was a clear Odds and Evens (North/South) divide on Postcodes to make matters relatively simple............alas no............

SO ..........New Aisling Hotel.............. North of the Liffey is in Dublin 8!

Now another Question............is there a sorting office for each Postcode..............TrickyD any answers. We may be able to make a sensibile suggestion to Board Snip in that case !!!!! lol :) Instead of ditching the Grangegorman consolidation of all the VECs in Dublin..........Ouch:D

D7

That post hurt my eyes.

humberklog wrote: »
    Well, the main entrance at Parkgate St. is D.8 as is the exit at Islandbridge but the Chapelizod entrance is D.20 and the N.C.R one is D.7 and then the Castleknock one would be eh...probably D.15 (but open to correction on that).
    Yes, I should have specified which entrance - the one that culchies are most familiar with... :o

• Advertisement

Yes, I should have specified which entrance - the one that culchies are most familiar with... :o

Ah Dudess I knew which one you were talking about...like boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

uberwolf wrote: »

That's just nutty. Mind you it's D.15 on Farmleigh's official stuff. I've a letter in front of me here saying D.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

There's apparently (Disclaimer: So I've been told) also a few anomalies in the Leopardstown area which beyond people doctoring their postcode because they want to be in Blackrock Co Dublin instead of Dublin 18 for instance was caused by a postal dispute at the time.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

humberklog wrote: »
    That's just nutty. Mind you it's D.15 on Farmleigh's official stuff. I've a letter in front of me here saying D.15.

Bizarre... Fernleigh, just up the road, is definitely in 15.

Anyway, how do you find out what your postcode is??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

dazberry wrote: »
    There's apparently (Disclaimer: So I've been told) also a few anomalies in the Leopardstown area which beyond people doctoring their postcode because they want to be in Blackrock Co Dublin instead of Dublin 18 for instance was caused by a postal dispute at the time.

D.

That area of South Dublin is hilarious. I work in an office that receives a fair amount of mail and people give ridiculous nonsensical addresses like:

Sandymount,
    Dun Laoghaire,
    Co Dublin.

or

Loughlinstown,
    Killiney,
    Co. Dublin

That kind of stuff is totally property/status driven and I would say annoys the hell out of An Post

BarryM wrote: »
    Anyway, how do you find out what your postcode is??

Look at your address on the envelopes that come in your door :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

dazberry wrote: »

D.

It's not necessarily something that people do on their own - I'm in the general Leopardstown area and when I gave my address update to a broadband company they told me that their addressing system (some kind of database they have from AnPost apparently) puts this street in Blackrock - it's nowhere near Blackrock! And they can't change it. As a result I receive post addressed to XYZ St, Blackrock from them because their system won't take it any other way. There is one more provider that sends us post addressed like this (most likely using the same system?), while other companies accept the correct address fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Thanks for clarifications on D7. When I was flat hunting and saw Parkgate on Daft as D8 I always thought it was more snobby Dublin 6W nonsense.

So good to know it isn't in case I get caught out when ranting :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

uberwolf wrote: »

That's to confuse the terrorists....:p

Advertisement