Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aisling Hotel has a Dublin 8 Postcode but is in Dublin 7 !!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

All the addresses in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown are a mess. The 'Blackrock' post code covers a ridiculously huge area some of which is right beside Stillorgan village. Why did Booterstown never become a de facto post code? The area up near the main gate to UCD (Glenomena/Woodbine/Seafield) is still part of 'Blackrock', it's probably nearer to Donnybrook or Stillorgan. Maybe 'Montrose' (without Donnybrook afterward) or 'Belfield' should be an address? I always thought Nutley Lane/Vincents should be 'Merrion'

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Yes those map are handy as indicative but is there anything decent down to street level showing clearly where the boundaries actually are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

jeckle wrote: »
    Residents of Parkgate St are not allowed to open a bank account in their nearest Bank of Ireland branch, which is on Arran Quay, Dublin 7. They are forced to cross the river & go down to the branch on James’s St, Dublin 8 if they want a Bank of Ireland account. They can, however open one a few doors down, in AIB Arran Quay, Dublin 7.

The only way they can open a BOI account in the Arran Quay branch is if they sell up & relocate to a Dublin 7 address or give up their job & get one whose employer has a Dublin 7 address, which kind of defeats the whole purpose. Quite a few hoops to jump through just to open a bank account!

A postal code can work against you.

I have NEVER heard of anything like this, and find it very hard to believe that this is true.

My bank is not in the same postcode as me and this was never an issue.

However I do hate that I have to collect my parcels from the James's street post office when the Rathmines one is so much closer. Stupid Dublin 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

jeckle wrote: »
    I'm not imagining what happened or what I was told. I know three others who had the same experience, & yes I'm familiar with the workings of an ATM Card.:)

My point is that a postal code can be a hindrance.

Sorry mate, but your wrong on that one, they can't do that.
    I'm not saying your lying, but you were probably lied to. I live d7 and my account id in d4. Also just set up another on in Co. dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I've got two bank accounts in different parts of Dublin and one in a different county and I've never lived near either of them, and most of my family have their bank accounts outside Dublin and they live in Dublin, so that can't be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

PCPhoto wrote:
    I dont think the banks care about where a person lives as long as they can deposit money in.

in fairness - if someone walked into the BOI and got told they have to goto another branch to set up an account there would most likely loose a lot of customers.

especially as you can use your ATM Card at any machine or withdraw money at any machine
    Kooli wrote:
    I have NEVER heard of anything like this, and find it very hard to believe that this is true.

My bank is not in the same postcode as me and this was never an issue.
    funkyjebus wrote:
    Sorry mate, but your wrong on that one, they can't do that.
    I'm not saying your lying, but you were probably lied to. I live d7 and my account id in d4. Also just set up another on in Co. dublin.
    Linku wrote:
    I've got two bank accounts in different parts of Dublin and one in a different county and I've never lived near either of them, and most of my family have their bank accounts outside Dublin and they live in Dublin, so that can't be true.

I was referring specifically to Bank of Ireland Arran Quay.

I’ve contacted BOI about this & they informed me that yes, this is true.

Some of their branches now insist on new customers opening their account in branches with the same postal code as their address or that of their employer. Obviously Arran quay is one of them, though I was given the example of Tallaght & Walkinstown branches being particularly strict on this matter.

Of course we all know people who were originally born or lived in one place & still have their account there, students are one example, or people who have opened bank accounts in different areas. I am one of these people, as a matter account my original bank accounts were in a branch of another bank with entirely different postal codes to where I lived or worked, but I wanted to open a BOI account in the branch that was physically nearer to me at the time (Arran Quay) & was refused because of my postal code.

Bank of Ireland have informed me this is purely for ease of servicing the account, but some of their branches are more strict than others with regards enforcing this.

Servicing the account would include signature verification when necessary, loan applications etc.

So I’m not imaging what I was told at the time & I wasn’t given false information either. Neither are the others!

If any of you live on Parkgate Street & have opened an account in BOI Arran Quay please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

Sounds like the Times and/or the Indo could have a field day with the BOI and their treatment of D7/D8 Residents.............I thought in these customers stroking and pampering days the customer should always get what he wants, rather than some robot sticking to some idiot's rule. The rule, as such, may also be tied into the Electoral Register for the area, or is it Postcode area?

Expose required maybe

" Makes its easier to service the Account"...............my a*se
    :confused:

Advertisement