Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a phone in NYC

• 08-11-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Does anyone know if i buy a phone in new york will it work here? Will i have to unlock it or try and find one thats already unlocked?

Also if anyone knows of any shops there selling phones like this, let me know!

Thanks!
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Some will, some wont. It needs to have are network bands, 2g is 900/1800, and for 3g it needs 2100. If it has these it will work, but it will have to be unlocked. You could get the phone unlocked here when you come home.

Have you any phone in mind? Example, if you go to the nokia store they have sim free phones, just ask them what bands does it have.

One thing to let you know, if you will be living here, if a problem develops, the warranty wont be covered from any phone bought outside the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Be very careful of all the small electronic shops in NY too, selling unlocked phones. I had a guy trying to sell me an unlocked 32gb iPhone 3GS for $499...when I wasn't interested (as it said "Phone" instead of iPhone on the back) he got quite annoyed and started reducing it, eventually too $99!! So very dodgy!! Go to a proper store if you're going to buy a phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What people seem to forget is that when it comes to mobile phones, Europe is actually ahead of the US by a long shot.

Apart from what Davy mentions above, the phone market in the US is very different to Europe.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a phone in the US (Ok, I lie a little bit - I bought my iPhone in the US last year. But that's a different kettle of fish)

Advertisement