Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Storm Next Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

woah! thats pretty impressive.

system admin
    http://weathergossip.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

I think people who enjoy storms and all things weather are well aware of the hardship and tragedy they can bring, just as those who love cars know that cars can kill and so forth.

I love witnessing storms, and the more violent the better as far as I am concerned. Like Nacho, I will make no apology for that. I have been moved to tears more than once when I have seen lightning ripping open the sky. I lose all reason when I hear thunder. I will run to the Salthill or Furbo beach if there is a force 10 or 11 gale in full swing and enjoy every second of it. It is not the danger factor that thrills me but I just enjoy witnessing nature in all glory and it is a glory that I want to feel in my soul. No logic behind my thinking at all, but then there is no logic to Mother Nature.

We are a perfect match I suppose! :)

I must say that I agree 100% with what you say...I'd like to add that humankind is great with all that it has built and accomplished, but we are all powerless in front of the wrath of mother nature. I get pissed off when mankind starts to play with nature, like the following story (it's from a while back):

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2009-10/moscow-mayor-pays-russian-air-force-wage-war-winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

IS NOBODY ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THE "WEEKEND STORM" IN THIS THREAD OR WAT?

OR IS IT JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS LOST HOPE! HA

....I AGREE WIT ALL THE ABOVE COMMENTS, NATURE IS AN AMAZING THING TO WITNESS IN ALL ITS GLORY.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

The weekend storm doesn't look like its gonna be a storm as such. Looks like mostly rain as 2 lows seem to circulate around each other for the weekend. Not good for the match in Croker. Hope its at least dry for the game!

091110_0000_96.png

091110_0000_96.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Even though its 3 days away,this storm looks like its going to bring some pretty atrocious conditions to the sea's off the south coast initially (roughly 12pm Fri -6am Sat) and then the strongest winds move up the Irish sea (6pm Fri - 11am Sat).

Have to agree with Deep Easterly above. Theres nothing more humbling than the raw power that nature can unleash. From a personal point of view, the timimg of this storm is disapointing. I was hoping to get down to Hook Head at the weekend to watch this storm in action and shoot some video, but sadly most of the action is going to occur during the night hours :(

Just look at the winds hammering into The Hook around midnight...

ukwind.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well if the 18z is anywhere near the mark, Friday 13th will see a major storm hit Ireland.
    If the French are coming over for the match by ferry they might make the last 5mins:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

METCHECK now have an advance weather warning fo the whole of ireland for friday & saturday i dont think they know yet how bad it might be until 2moro

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

This will be difficult to predict until thursday i reckon due to the presence of 2 low centres. There relative positions will affect windspeeds wont they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

pauldry wrote: »

That's bad. Looks like everything was blown clean off the page :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Check warning it looks bad if it happens

WARNING.jpg

Forecasters Warning Heavy Rain and Severe Gales

Affecting: Southwest England, Wales, west and northwest England, western Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland

Valid: 13:00 Friday 13th November to 23:00 Saturday 14th November 2009

This is an Advanced Weather Warning issued by Metcheck at 20:40 on Tuesday 10th November.

A deepening area of low pressure is expected to track north/north-eastwards across western parts of Britain and Ireland during Friday and Saturday, bringing heavy rain and the risk of severe gales.

Greatest concern is currently focused on western Britain and Ireland where the heaviest of the rain and strongest winds are likely to occur.

Rainfall totals of up to 2 inches (50mm) may fall during Friday afternoon and night in places, whilst severe south-westerly gales gusting up to 80mph could affect the southwest during Friday night and Saturday, before affecting other western areas during Saturday.

These conditions will result in hazardous travelling conditions, and some localised flooding may occur in areas where the land is saturated after recent rainfall. In addition, some damage to buildings and trees may occur in the severe gales.

This Advanced Weather Warning will be updated tomorrow, Wednesday 11th November.

Issued by: Paul Barber for Metcheck
    ---END---

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Timistry wrote: »
    This will be difficult to predict until thursday i reckon due to the presence of 2 low centres. There relative positions will affect windspeeds wont they?

make it 3 lows now! Yep the weekend looks like its gonna be very stormy indeed and that low centered over us will bring some amount of rain! Certainly 2 inches in places

091111_0000_78.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

12z has the low center further south, downgrading the storm potential for Ireland. Southern/eastern areas still looking fairly blowy through Fri night though...

95863.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Severe flooding all over Cork this evening.
    Where did that come from:confused:
    Some road closures in Carrigaline and Midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Not suprised Cork got flooding today...

95872.jpg

Some heavy rain in that band! Seemed to intensify as it progressed inland. So whats the story with Friday/Saturday. The models cannot make up there mind as to the position of the storm. GFS has the heaviest rain and winds off the S coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This positioning and track of this weekend's low will should be coming into hi-res territory over the next 12hrs or so, and even then I doubt they will be exact until 12hrs before hand. It is going to be interesting to see what will happen in the end. I think all the major models have handled this developing low quite well over the last 8 days or so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Its been absolutely bucking in Rush for the last hour roads will defo be flooded should be fun in the morning

metcheck think that it will track to the south, only affecting the South of england. All guesswork up to this point from the models. It looking like it will be a nowcast situation. Exciting to say the least;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Not everyday you see a forecast fax like this.

all lows trapped by all high pressures surrounding them.

The more high pressure systems surrounding lows usually means greater wind potential because air moves from areas of relatively high pressure towards areas of relative low pressure to create equilibrium. The greater the pressure difference, the stronger the wind.these lows are not that intense so fairly moderate gales to strong in gusts.

fax72s.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

This is fascinating lads. All of this could occur on the biggest sporting weekend of the year.

Uniquely Croke Park will host 2 sell-out international matches in less than 24 hours. Any idea of what weather conditions could be like for Saturday at 8pm and Sunday at 3pm?

If they is very heavy rain fall than the pitch could take a battering. Very high winds would make the top sections of the Hogan and Cusask very unpleasant. This potential storm could add an exciting twist to proceedings! Not sure the French would fancy playing in storm!

What are the chances of the lows deepening further. what would cause this. If the high to the east encroached westward, this would have an effect, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Timistry wrote: »
    What are the chances of the lows deepening further. what would cause this. If the high to the east encroached westward, this would have an effect, right?

They prob will deepen.these are just forecasts remember,alot can change.

yes if a high were to get closer,this can increase windspeed too by creating a squeezing effect (isobars get tighter).

still early though to say what way it'll go

Storm risk for Ireland appears over. There will be lots of hvy rain though if you are in to that:eek:. Some strong winds in the South but nothing serious.

system admin
    http://weathergossip.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would suggest at this point that the Friday night storm event will turn out to be mostly rain in Ireland, but in terms of stronger winds, as the low passes north of the Irish Sea, Dublin and most other parts of Ireland will see some moderately strong westerly winds setting in by Saturday mid-day and afternoon. Nothing too exceptional, gusts to about 40 mph, possibly 50 in exposed locations. If that combines with some lashing showers then the visitors may wish they had stayed home, I suppose, although it will be far worse in parts of France anyway.

Meanwhile, there is yet another "window of opportunity" for strong winds in Ireland on Sunday night and Monday. This looks to be about the same range of possible tracks from just west of Ireland (which would give the strongest winds) to something like Friday night's track east of Ireland. If we see the Friday night track edging back to the west, I would say look for this next one to be more significant as it will probably head for the decaying remnants of the Friday-Saturday low somewhere around the Faeroes or even Iceland.

Looking very mild later next week which tends to hold better promise for eventual windstorm development; the lows pretty much have to go north of Ireland when temperatures are 3-5 C above normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

hello,

what was the websites last year for predicting snow, looks like this low could pull some real low temps down on fri night,

i remeber there were 2 main sites, if some one could post them up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ill be driving from Dublin to Donegal this afternoon . . . what do people think conditions will be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Increasingly wet from the south but not excessive in either wind or rain. You might even stay ahead of the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Rougies wrote: »
    Not suprised Cork got flooding today...

95872.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1112/floods_gallery.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Estofex has issued a forecast update, and increased their area for level 1 threat across the whole of ireland and the western UK...level 2 issued for western english channel
    Main threat is severe wind gusts, but they reckon there is a tornado threat too, particularly for the SE/E coast of Ireland... convective t-storms are forecast for almost anywhere within the threat area.

http://www.estofex.org/
    Severe wind gusts and isolated tornadoes are possible over Ireland (most likely over SE/E-Ireland), W/central UK and most parts of Scotland. Degree of LL shear, increasing LL CAPE west of the WCB and low LCLs still indicates a chance for a strong tornado event, especially along the coast, where onshore swashing CAPE and shear overlap

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2009111406_200911131655_2_forecastupdate.xml

Advertisement