Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get to Olympiahalle in Munich?

• 08-11-2009 2:42pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm going in 2 weeks, arrive on the friday for a gig in Olympiahalle. . only thing is. . Air Lingus have gone and changed our flights, so we arrive at 7pm. gig is at 8pm. . . and ideas how bloody far this place is from the airport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Google maps
    30 mins drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

aer lingus have changed my munich flight times too, i'm not heading over for a gig but still - pain in the bee-hind!
    who are you heading to see? i have a mate going to see muse in cologne in two weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

ChewChew wrote: »
    Well, I'm going in 2 weeks, arrive on the friday for a gig in Olympiahalle. . only thing is. . Air Lingus have gone and changed our flights, so we arrive at 7pm. gig is at 8pm. . . and ideas how bloody far this place is from the airport?

You won't make that gig on time mate, By the time you arrive and get your bags, etc. Would you go straight to it with your cases or drop them off at the hotel first? Take a taxi from the Airport as the train takes a nice little bit to get into the city and you would then have to switch from the S-Bahn to the U-Bahn at Marienplatz City Centre and then it is also a nice walk (around 600metres) from the Olympiazentrum Metro to it.

It sounds like a bummer of a situation and your best would be to try and get the flight out the day before or alternativly fly out from Cork with Aer Lingus as they have very early flights or else fly to Memmingen with Ryanair and get a train to Munich from Memmingen.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

tfak85 wrote: »
    aer lingus have changed my munich flight times too, i'm not heading over for a gig but still - pain in the bee-hind!
    who are you heading to see? i have a mate going to see muse in cologne in two weeks...
    I'm flying out on the 20th! And going to see Muse there :D
    netwhizkid wrote: »
    You won't make that gig on time mate, By the time you arrive and get your bags, etc. Would you go straight to it with your cases or drop them off at the hotel first? Take a taxi from the Airport as the train takes a nice little bit to get into the city and you would then have to switch from the S-Bahn to the U-Bahn at Marienplatz City Centre and then it is also a nice walk (around 600metres) from the Olympiazentrum Metro to it.
    Are ya serious? Ah that is a load of crap now!! :(
    It sounds like a bummer of a situation and your best would be to try and get the flight out the day before or alternativly fly out from Cork with Aer Lingus as they have very early flights or else fly to Memmingen with Ryanair and get a train to Munich from Memmingen.
    I ain't paying for another flight. I just couldn't afford it! Damn them! We are only bringing hand luggage because we are just going for the gig. In fairness, I don't really mind missing a bit of the gig because I just saw the band in Dublin on Friday, but I would like to get to see a bit of it. Do ya think it would be realistic to get to the stadium by 9? If we land at 7?:confused:

I'm flying out on the 20th! And going to see Muse there :D

Are ya serious? Ah that is a load of crap now!! :(

I ain't paying for another flight. I just couldn't afford it! Damn them! We are only bringing hand luggage because we are just going for the gig. In fairness, I don't really mind missing a bit of the gig because I just saw the band in Dublin on Friday, but I would like to get to see a bit of it. Do ya think it would be realistic to get to the stadium by 9? If we land at 7?:confused:

You should make it by nine easy, and with a bit of luck you could make it there by 8 or like 8.15 if you take a taxi.

It takes between 45 and 50 mins to go from the Airport to Marienplatz by S-Bahn and around 12mins to go from Marienplatz to Olympiazentrum by U-Bahn and presumably it would take another 10mins to walk the distance from the metro stop to the Arena. I have not been to the arena but just to the BMW Werk which is close by.

According to Google Earth the drive is 30mins, so I think you could make especially when you have hand luggage! Book your seat at the front of the plane with an aisle seat and you will be out of the plane before the rest of the lemmings! All you have to do is clear passport control and hop into a taxi and rush for the arena. Doable! Having children or GF's with a container load of clothes are not recommended! One thing, Munich at this time of year will freeze the bejasus out of you so dress warm and black (Everyone in Germany wears black in winter it is bizarre!) Kultfabric near Ostabahnhof is a mighty spot for a night out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

You should make it by nine easy, and with a bit of luck you could make it there by 8 or like 8.15 if you take a taxi.
    Taxi it is so. I didn't book this trip, my mate did so I am waiting for him to send me on all the exact details! And I'm thinking Taxi all the way!
    It takes between 45 and 50 mins to go from the Airport to Marienplatz by S-Bahn and around 12mins to go from Marienplatz to Olympiazentrum by U-Bahn and presumably it would take another 10mins to walk the distance from the metro stop to the Arena. I have not been to the arena but just to the BMW Werk which is close by.
    So it would be a No No to go to the hotel to drop off luggage???
    According to Google Earth the drive is 30mins, so I think you could make especially when you have hand luggage! Book your seat at the front of the plane with an aisle seat and you will be out of the plane before the rest of the lemmings! All you have to do is clear passport control and hop into a taxi and rush for the arena. Doable! Having children or GF's with a container load of clothes are not recommended!
    Definitely no kids or GF's. and yes, I plan on being first off the plan for an almight dash!
    One thing, Munich at this time of year will freeze the bejasus out of you so dress warm and black (Everyone in Germany wears black in winter it is bizarre!)
    Yeah, I gathered it might be cold. . . So I have the winter woolies awaiting! Thanks :)
    Kultfabric near Ostabahnhof is a mighty spot for a night out!
    What is this now? It sounds funky! :D and also. . . . is there any xmas markets on do ya know? :o

Taxi it is so. I didn't book this trip, my mate did so I am waiting for him to send me on all the exact details! And I'm thinking Taxi all the way!

Cool, sounds like an adventure, taxi would be my thinking also!
    So it would be a No No to go to the hotel to drop off luggage???
    Well it is your own decision! Checking in takes time and having to full up the forms with passport details etc. (Every Hotel guests passport details are sent to Europol on a nightly basis to track any convicts on the run!)
    Definitely no kids or GF's. and yes, I plan on being first off the plan for an almight dash!
    Great stuff.
    Yeah, I gathered it might be cold. . . So I have the winter woolies awaiting! Thanks :)
    Ski-ing may also be an option in the Bavarian alps if interested.
    What is this now? It sounds funky! :D and also. . . . is there any xmas markets on do ya know? :o

Kultfabric is one of Europes best party areas, it is like a party district with great bars and clubs, beers and entry prices are dirt cheap! One club I hit was €6 entry and a beer called "Hell" :D €2 ! Great spot and easily accessible via train.

I haven't been there at xmas time but it is supposed to have good xmas markets also, there was a thread on this recently, there was offers in the paper with flights and accommodation from Cork for the Munich Markets so I would say they are popular enough"

Finally Munich like all of Germany (and most of Europe) completely shuts down on Sunday for "Family Day" so don't expect to hit the high street shopping as you will find all the shops closed! Bars, Restaurants and the odd Turkish kiosk will be open though. Munich being in Bavaria is a tad more conservative (being south of the Weißwurstäquator) than alot of Germany and Bavaria is how Germany is stereotypically seen with Lederhosen and feathers in hats, decorative broaches etc. You will see some Bavarians in traditional dress in Munich but not too many! Cool to see them at the same time. Another thing to check out is if Bayern Munich are playing at home at the allianz arena, that was very cool!

Advertisement