Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving clubs in the North West?

• 08-11-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, got my first proper Scuba experience this August while on Honeymoon. We dived in Turkey years ago but looking back now I wonder how we survived, the safety instructions etc were so non-existent!

We did a Padi course in Mauritius, didn't have time to do the full Open Water qualification but did the Padi Scuba Diver qualification and passed.

We're now trying to track down somewhere local so we can do some dives to keep us up to date without having to do a refresher next time we go away. We won't be going abroad til the end of next year so we'd like to do a dive before February. We hope to join a club to dive regularly in the long term but for now we're just looking to log a dive before the 6 months are up.

Not sure how things work, do we need to get all the gear or can we hire from the club? What sort of costs are we looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Hi Dr,

I qualified similiar to yourself with PADI qualifications. Recently i decided to leave the PADI way of diving and concentrate on cft diving(cmas).

Both ways serve a purpose, padi gets people diving quickly, with low costs through rental. CFT concentrates on in-depth training and fitness with the end goal be diving.

If you are diving a few times a year then padi is the way to go. Just rent your gear to save costs. If you see it as a serious hobbie, look into cft clubs in your area and take their advice on purchasing equipment.

One thing i've come across is the bad attitude that can be found on both sides to the other's form of training and diving.

PADI got me started (which it does well) but now it's time for me to put in some training and purchase my own euipment which is why i've moved other to cft.

You have a year before going abroad again so it i was you i'd get involved with a club (either) and get some irish diving. Cold water and limited visibility won't be anything tropical but it will make you a better diver that you have experience with it.

Your last question on the costs, in my case i'm looking at between €1,000-€2,000.

By the way, if you choose cft (cft.ie) most clubs are running a try-a-dive scheme at the moment which is a free trial (pool) to meet people and experience the club.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Here's a list of the CFT clubs in the northwest....
    http://cft.ie/clubsnorth.htm

Sheephaven seem to be really active, I'd check them out if you're in that area.

As the above poster said, if you're going to get into it you should probably look into getting gear. CFT training seems to be much more thorough than PADI (from what I hear). Some PADI divers seem to consider it too thorough though.... and there is a lot of paperwork and regulations! I'd much rather be trained by someone volunteering their time because they love diving than someone who is rushing you through certs to get cash off you though!

Cipher wrote: »
    One thing i've come across is the bad attitude that can be found on both sides to the other's form of training and diving.

It's quite similar to the Mac Vs PC debate! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

donegal bay sub aqua if your near donegal town dives every wed eve. and sunday. 2 boats and clubhouse (you do need your own gear though)
    try a dive and training in jan i only do the website (which is still under construction ) http://dbsac.moonfruit.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

sligo and leitrim also have active cft clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks for the answers. Regarding location, I'm in Donegal, just beside the Derry border.

Own gear is not an option at this stage, just don't have the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mugs

Hey,

Check these guy's out you could finnish your PADI Open Water course and probably rent the gear for any of your Dives untill you put together your own setup.

http://www.mevaghdiving.com/courses.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patmatt

closest to you are sheephaven and inishowen subaqua clubs both well established also club in derry city. most clubs start trainees in january with inital training carried out in local swimming pools. within the donegal bay club members are more than happy to lend gear to any new trainees until they get their own. all the clubs have great social side and welcome new members

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tommsyie

Have a look on the dive map page of www.mydivelocker.ie
    It lists all the clubs and dive centres throughout Ireland

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. Regarding location, I'm in Donegal, just beside the Derry border.

Own gear is not an option at this stage, just don't have the money.

Declan will sort you out, he's based in Letterkenny. Any q's just ask.

http://www.divindec.com/

Advertisement