Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same old Arsenal or not?

• 08-11-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm an Arsenal supporter so I may be biased in my views but I'd like to hear the soccer public's opinions.

So Arsenal have started off the season in pretty spectacular fashion.36 goals scored, 8 out of 11 matches won,17 (AFAIK) different scorers so far, arguably the most potent strikeforce in the world at the moment certainly as far as depth is concerned,(bentdner, vela, walcott all out at the moment),in fabregas the form midfielder in the world and with the likes of nasri, rosicky, and arshavin the most creative midfield in the premiership if not the world again. throw in the fast maturing alex song, the impact vermaelen has had, the improvement of gibbs and ramsey and the attitude in the team after adeboyar left....all things point to arsenal being serious contenders for the title.And also even though match of the day don't agree (especially gary lineker); there are now 4 top strikers in the premiership not 3. RvP is finally coming of age, and is leading the attack with style and substance this season.

or do they?

The defense is still leaky with only 2 clean sheets (afaik) this season, almunia and his colleagues have flattered to deceive in goals at times, song is leaving for a few weeks in January, is denilson able to step up to the plate? The two main tests they've faced this season in manchester, they've come up short. The injury list as always is massive but an injury to song/fabregas/gallas/vermaelen and it could be difficult to see if senderos,denilson,ramsey can step up?

Add that to the argument that always surrounds arsenal; they are bottlers...when push comes to shove they'll snap. they are too 'inexperienced, young, nice, pretty <insert appropriate description here>.
    They'll play the best football but can't finish teams off etc.. All arguments have been proven at different times namely two seasons ago.

But is this season any different? For other clubs is it a matter of same old arsenal? Start strong but tail off by the end of the season? or do you think this season it'll be different?And do arsenal supporters feel this is a different team to other seasons and with a different mindset and a more determined bunch that'll lead us to glory etc?

Sooo.. 72 votes

Premiership is between Chelsea and Utd...no one else
    0% 0 votes
    They'll push the Chelsea and Utd close...but won't win it.
    8% 6 votes
    Definite title contenders and realistically will finish in top two
    44% 32 votes
    Title winners...playing the best football they'll finish top.
    47% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Same old Arsenal imo

I'm happy to be proved wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I reckon they'll push United and Chelsea close. They seem to be dealing with the smaller sides better these days and fair play to Wenger to continuing to try and play the style they do even when it didn't seem to be working.

Can't see them winning it though, not this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm a Utd supporter and I backed Arsenal a month ago to win the league this year. I wanted to see how they got out of the traps before backing them. They haven't done much wrong so far and should really have beaten Utd at Old Trafford. Their attacking force is stronger than anyone else in the league imo. Vermalen looks a quality buy to shore things up at the back and he also has an eye for goal, bit like Vidic.
    The only niggling doubt would be over injuries to key players but you could make that case for Chelsea and Utd also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't like the choices in the the poll so I won't vote.

Saying that, for the moment, it is the same old Arsenal until they start winning something. I hope they do too as I find them to be a very likeable team/club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

same old Arsenal imo. although i could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm waiting for them to collapse when the second half of the season comes around. Just wait and see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Most potent attack in the world because of their depth? Couldn't disagree more tbh. The reason Arsenal are so effective is because Wenger has spent years forming a team that as a whole works excellently, they aren't a side littered with absolutely world class players in every attacking position, they do however have many highly skilled players that work together excellently (Song, Diaby, Nasri, Rosicky, Sagna, Clichy). Then they have 3 absolutely fantastic players that turn games on their own (Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin)

Fabregas is the best player in the world at the moment, which always helps your teams case. The key is whether this young developing team can stay consistent, and I think they possibly can, but it may not be for another year before the likes of Song/ Bendtner mature into consistently excellent players that can maintain a high level for an entire season. From February on will be Arsenals acid test, but I can see them giving the PL and CL this year a good shot, possibly winning one/ both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Liverpool fan here.

I expect Arsenal to be right up there this year. If I had to stick my neck out I'd still probably go for Chelsea but this Arsenal team is good enough to do it. The strength in depth in attack is scary to be honest. I think they will hit the 80 point mark this season. Whether they can push that on a bit towards the 90 mark and win the League is hard to say but they definitely can do it imo.

Van Persie is right up there with the top strikers in the Prem i agree. And to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we are talking about Fabregas being possibly the best player in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

No great depth at defensive midfielder and in defence.

Senderos and Silvestre as back up centre halves would frighten me if I supported Arsenal. Keeper is WAY too dodgy as well. Also so many of their players are very injury prone, the likes of Rosicky, van Persie, Walcott, Nasri, Eduardo are rarely if ever all fit at the same time.

They'll challenge probably a more sustained challenge than previous years but they won't win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lack of strength in depth in key positions (centre mid, centre back, goalkeeper), inability to close out games like at West ham a few weeks back, poor defensive record, and the great ability to play well in big matches but still end up losing.

Don't think they're quite there yet. If Gallas/Vermaelen/Song/Fab/RVP stay fit all year then they have a chance, but that's fairly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That is an incredibly biased post OP. Bendtner should be no where near any team in the top 6 teams in one of the best leagues in the world. Vela is still only a talent in my eyes. I still don't rate Walcott much, needs to improve a lot.
    As for Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky being the top creative players in the world. HA. They are no where near the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Iniesta, Xavi or Giggs, Scholes or Bergkamp in their prime.
    Fabregas would also be in the list of the top creative players in the world.
    I don't rate Song at all, neither does anyone I know that wathces Arsenal on a regular basis.
    Vermaelen is a good player, good defender and chips in with a fair share of goals.

It will be the "same old Arsenal" this season, imo. They'll keep the push going until Christmas, then fade away in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't rate Song at all, neither does anyone I know that wathces Arsenal on a regular basis.

Song has been without a doubt one of our best and most important players this year, after Fab and RVP.

I'm not looking forward to January without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Not sure what Arsenal you're watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Most potent attack in the world because of their depth? Couldn't disagree more tbh. The reason Arsenal are so effective is because Wenger has spent years forming a team that as a whole works excellently, they aren't a side littered with absolutely world class players in every attacking position, they do however have many highly skilled players that work together excellently (Song, Diaby, Nasri, Rosicky, Sagna, Clichy). Then they have 3 absolutely fantastic players that turn games on their own (Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin)

My point was that from a squad depth point of view with regards to forwards; Arshavin/RvP/Eduardo/Walcott/Bentdner/Vela arsenal have the edge on any team with regards to depth. From pure quality I'd say that teams have better quality individuals (your barca ;) for example with messi and ibra) but my point was to do with the array of attacking options. Apologies if poorly worded.
    The potency comment was to do with form. I used the phrase "at the moment". Arsenal have outscored all teams at this point in time. (granted its only November!). I'm not comparing them to last years Barca or Man Utd a few seasons ago.
    That is an incredibly biased post OP. Bendtner should be no where near any team in the top 6 teams in one of the best leagues in the world. Vela is still only a talent in my eyes. I still don't rate Walcott much, needs to improve a lot..

Bendtner is a very good backup to have at any top team. He's 21. Starts for his national team and has ten goals with them. He scored 15 goals last season for Arsenal in all competitions including 9 in the league. Name me a fourth striker that the other top 5 clubs have that's better than him?
    As for Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky being the top creative players in the world. HA. They are no where near the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Iniesta, Xavi or Giggs, Scholes or Bergkamp in their prime.
    Fabregas would also be in the list of the top creative players in the world.

well... 36 goals in the premier league alone speaks for itself. Again i stated AT THE MOMENT. I'm not comparing them to Giggs Scholes Bergkamp etc in their prime ?:confused: Where did you get that from? Sure Maradona and George Best would get into the Arsenal side too why not name them??

Fabregas was included in that midfield did you not read it?
    Vermaelen is a good player, good defender and chips in with a fair share of goals.

It will be the "same old Arsenal" this season, imo. They'll keep the push going until Christmas, then fade away in January.

Well you don't rate him on what exactly? You've admitted you don't watch arsenal on a regular basis so what are you judging him on? Why don't you rate him? He's only been one of Arsenal's most important players this season. He's matured and improved immeasurably from a few seasons ago.And if the people who "watch arsenal on a regular basis" don't rate him, they must be blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Where's the, United Chelsea or Arsenal could win it. It's between the 3 of them, and I wouldnt be surprised if any of them won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

PHB wrote: »
    Where's the, United Chelsea or Arsenal could win it. It's between the 3 of them, and I wouldnt be surprised if any of them won

i guess i was very biased and wanted people to just try and predict where arsenal would finish. as opposed to who'd win it?

:D i presumed that a United arsenal chelsea to win would be the most popular but safe option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I'm an Arsenal fan too and agree with a lot of the OP's points....amazing going forward, third goal last night was as good a team goal as you will ever see....I would applaud any team that scores a goal like that.

However, big tests this side of xmas include Chelsea at hom and Pool away, then again at end of Jan, start of Feb have the big three and Villa in the space of 2 weeks, when Song will be missing and then squad will be strecthed. Also if injury to Vermalen/Gallas, Silvetre still appears to be next in line.

Overall, for the style of football we play, think we deserve a trophy, although I think Chelsea will win premiership and by law of averages, they have to win the Chmapions League at some stage unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    then again at end of Jan, start of Feb have the big three and Villa in the space of 2 weeks, when Song will be missing

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that he would only miss Villa and maybe United depending on how well Cameroon do in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

While I think Chelsea will win the league and Arsenal will finish 2nd, I'm cautiously optimistic that Arsenal can win the Champions League. I'm gonna take it one game at a time and if we're still on this form in March then a trophy is very likely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shows my age probably but same old Arsenal to me means winning virtually every game 1 - 0 and having a very defensively minded team. The answer based on that perception is definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Like any team that wins the title you need a bit of luck during the season with injuries. If we can keep our top players fit for the majority of the campaign we will win it.

This Arsenal team is starting to remind me of the invincibles a few seasons back. The team is a year older now and the understanding between the players is excellent. Also I feel now if this team goes a goal behind it has enough belief to come back, just like the invincibles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Exactly. You score 1, we'll score 2. You score 2, we'll score 3.

Song is THE most improved player, ever!!
    His ability to hold on to the ball and hold of players is amazing, compared to the donkey that used to give the ball away and walk round the pitch like a headless chicken.

He's prone to switch off though, a la Alkmaar away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

baz2009 wrote: »

Either you're posting from 2 years back in time or you don't know anyone who watches Arsenal.

Song has been Arsenal's best midfielder this year. Yes i know Cesc is the fancy dancy one with all the assists and goals, but it is Song that determines how well the side will play. Case in point, yesterday. Diaby plays the first 20 minutes and Wolves are all over us, getting at us on the wings and not being contested on the ball til they are inside our box. Along comes Song and it becomes a pedestrian victory, Wolves can't even get near the half and all of a sudden Fabregas starts creating chances.

If Song gets injured our season is f*cked. It's bad enough he'll be gone for the ANC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Frisbee wrote: »
    Same old Arsenal imo

I'm happy to be proved wrong though

It's all about staying injury-free, if Arsenal can do that then they are going to be right up there come May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Going forward they are very good, however in tight games they need to be more clinical and in defense they need to learn how to keep clean sheets. I think the lack of height in the team is a bit of a weakness.

I think they will make a serious push for the league. Staying close until the final run in will make it very interesting. Then its anybodys title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Either you're posting from 2 years back in time or you don't know anyone who watches Arsenal.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Whats up with the poll options? Also its Man United I know but why are you so confident of them being in the top 2? I think they are very poor this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I think we have a fantastic chance of winning it this year.

Maybe even the CL too.

But...we have serious issues at the back. We need a world class keeper.

And I fear having Diaby playing in big matches. Some matches he looks like he's a world beater, the next he's giving the ball away constantly or scoring silly OG's (man united away).

And the saying he doesn't rate Song...welcome to the new season mate. Your opinions from a year ago are out of date and Song is one of Arsenals most valuable players now. I used to hate seeing him in the team. Now I worry to think of him not in the team.

And going forward...well in any game we have Arshavin Rosicky and Cesc (or the ARC) playing, I'll be very confident of a win.

Advertisement