Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harsh Ban

Options
  • 08-11-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Banned there for a week from the "soccer" forum in which I deem to be harsh, I merely called Derry City supporters "Jester hat wearing mongs", I geniunely don't see how the word mong is a term of abuse which warants a week long ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hey Gavin

Just as a note, it's far easier if you link to the post whenever making a complaint. It saves us poking through your past posts to find it. Just in case you need to highlight anything to us in the future.

"Mong" has been one of those terms that's been offensive for quite some time. While many other words that are used as insulting terms can also be interpreted in a neutral light if you ignore context, "mong" has pretty much always been used as a term to insult people with Down's syndrome due to the perceived similarity with chunks of people from eastern Asia. As it doesn't have any neutral usage at all and even originated as a highly insulting term, calling someone a "Mong" is one of those things that people just can't reasonably defend.

You picked up a yellow card for it and at the moment the soccer moderators are implementing a week ban for any posts attracting a yellow card. This got highlighted in a soccer forum thread called "****PLEASE READ**** Forum update from the mod team 13/10/09", which is stickied at the top of the soccer forum.

Advertisement