Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn one PC into two

• 08-11-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Have a dual core Windows 7 3GB RAM PC

Want to buy a graphics card with dual output an extra monitor, usb keyboard and mouse. The second position would be next to the primary. Do not want to have to buy another PC, no matter how cheap.

Anyone know of any software that would allow a second session on the second monitor..

the cheaper the better! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Unless you only want to use one at a time, that will not be possible. You will be fighting over control of the keyboard and mouse! Buy a second PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

have you looked into vmware. It allows you to run an OS inside an OS. the performance is surprisingly good with very little overhead altough it is memory hungry, with this you would not need to have another screen at all. you can simply ALT-TAB to another OS,
    linux inside vista. xp inside vista and many other combinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm... you could do this technically by using something like VirtualPC but the performance would vary alot.

Use Virtual PC on one screen and your main PC's session on the other. You can install a virtual os to the virtual machine and use that... install something like Ubuntu so that it'll run relitively smoothly.

Still a piss poor solution to getting an actual PC tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and none of those are a 2 user solution.

For the cost of the Extra hardware you need
    a graphics card with dual output an extra monitor, usb keyboard and mouse.
    you could just get a netbook and I assure you it would have as much performance as most VirtualPC options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I remember seeing a motherboard that would alow this a few months ago. I think it was either abit, asus or asrock. Basicially one cpu, but 2 chipsets on the board. Then 2x everything else to go with it. Basicially 2 motherboards crammed onto one PCB. I'll see if i can find a link to it. Oh i do know there is a New DFI boards about to come out which does something similar with a hardware switcher, but back to looking for the other option

DFI mobo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIyxY4jIuU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interesting. but that is basically buying a new machine in the process of getting that board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Overheal wrote: »
    and none of those are a 2 user solution.

For the cost of the Extra hardware you need you could just get a netbook and I assure you it would have as much performance as most VirtualPC options.

I have the dual output monitor card, keyboard and mouse so all I need is a monitor.

this one is €99 and 19" which is just about the size I need ( netbook screen is far too small, as far as performance goes .. its for browsing)

now just need the software ???

Edit : This software is €99 anyone konw of any other ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Is Windows a requirement? It appears straightforward to do in Linux:

Six-headed, Six-user Linux System:
    http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html

Edit : And here's an Ubuntu two seater:
    http://netpatia.blogspot.com/2007/05/multiseat-in-ubuntu-704.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

With VirtualBox you can do this by specifying what USB devices to use in a specific Virtual Machine.

Similar question here

So you'll have two mice and two keyboards plugged into the PC.

Windows 7 installed on the physical machine, with VirtualBox installed on top of that.

Set up a virtual machine and install your chosen second operating system. In the setting for the virtual machine specify the mouse and keyboard you want it to use (under USB filtering I believe). In the link above it's recommended to disable auto mouse integration.

Simply run the virtual machine in full screen mode on the second monitor. You could set it up that the VM starts at boot if you want also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Is Windows a requirement? It appears straightforward to do in Linux:

yes I'm afraid so
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    With VirtualBox you can do this by specifying what USB devices to use in a specific Virtual Machine.

Similar question here

So you'll have two mice and two keyboards plugged into the PC.

Windows 7 installed on the physical machine, with VirtualBox installed on top of that.

Set up a virtual machine and install your chosen second operating system. In the setting for the virtual machine specify the mouse and keyboard you want it to use (under USB filtering I believe). In the link above it's recommended to disable auto mouse integration.

Simply run the virtual machine in full screen mode on the second monitor. You could set it up that the VM starts at boot if you want also.

thanks looks like this could be perfect! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement