Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Washed Car, now it wont start!! Help...?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

And a happy Sunday afternoon to all posters...

Though mine isn't very happy...I just washed my Mitsubishi Lancer GLX from head to toe, as i regularly do. No lights on, doors open alright, and am pretty sure the key in ignition wasn't turned in the ignition. Took about 3 hours from start to finish, nice job done if i do say so myself. Then, went to start it and....nothing! First turn, it kind of made a strange noise, then any attempt after that it was just turning over.

Additional info; On the colder days during the week, twice it would not start first time. usually it starts first time every time, but the two very cold days it didn't.

Any suggestions/informed opinions would be gratefully received...I am in midlands, and need car to get back to Dublin today. No, i don't know any mechanic in the region, my mechanic is in Dublin. D'oh...!!

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Was it turning over more slowly than usual? Might the battery be on the way out? If you have room try push-starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I had to start one of these (1998 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.4 GLX) during the week. It had been parked for about 2 months. I just kept reving the car while turning the key on short intervals. It worked eventually. the engine is just probably cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

reckon you got water into some of the ignition components.. leave for a while to dry out should be ok.. unless u completely soaked.

Do not push start it. This can f*ck up your cat.

jayo99 wrote: »
    If there's enough power in the battery for ignition then push-starting should be exactly the same as starting the car normally - you're just using the momentum of the car rather than the battery to turn the engine over. And if there is some other problem then it'll be the same as turning the engine over on the starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Sounds like a battery problem. Had you the stereo on while you were cleaning it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

Didn't have stereo on, but had doors open, which meant the centre light was on for a good while.

Also...i really did clean it well, and power washer was going alot..perhaps i got something wet?

I will leave it a while and hope it comes together...will keep you posted, thanks for the help

My guess is that the battery's on the way out - i'd push start it now while you still have light and before it gets any colder.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Battery is probably knackered. Like you said "hard to start on cold mornings". Push start will get you out, if you have a battery charger
    you'll probably need it for tonight to get it started in the morning,
    then get yourself a new battery tomorrow.

Just make sure your cat's not in front of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Turn on the headlights and see what happens. cold weather often prompts battery failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Did you clean the engine bay at all? Usually power washing can damage fuses or various other connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

Got it started!!

Much thanks to all who posted...looks like something got wet - although the battery might need replacing too, will drop it down to mechanic when i get back to Dublin. Thanks to all for their help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Just make sure your cat's not in front of the car
    I cant have been the only one in tears laughing at that comment?!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I cant have been the only one in tears laughing at that comment?!

Trust me, you weren't!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

No, we where all giggling quietly to ourselves :D. I wonder would water have leaked onto the battery terminals but anyway glad you got it sorted Frank. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Push starting, also known as "bump starting" a car or motorcycle is a way of getting the vehicle started when either your starter motor or battery have given up the ghost. It consists of getting a vehicle into it's running state, pushing it to get some momentum, and engaging the transmission, to start the engine spinning. Be aware that to push start a car you need to have a manual transmission, and trying to push start an automatic vehicle will either fail to start it, or possibly damage the transmission. You should also avoid bump starting a vehicle with a catalytic converter as unburned fuel mixture in the exhaust may cause it harm. It can still be done in a pinch though. Though it may be tempting if you're alone and on a hill, it's a really bad idea to push the car down the hill then jump in to bump start. People have accidentally run themselves over trying this. It's best to find someone to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Push starting, also known as "bump starting" a car or motorcycle is a way of getting the vehicle started when either your starter motor or battery have given up the ghost. It consists of getting a vehicle into it's running state, pushing it to get some momentum, and engaging the transmission, to start the engine spinning. Be aware that to push start a car you need to have a manual transmission, and trying to push start an automatic vehicle will either fail to start it, or possibly damage the transmission. You should also avoid bump starting a vehicle with a catalytic converter as unburned fuel mixture in the exhaust may cause it harm. It can still be done in a pinch though. Though it may be tempting if you're alone and on a hill, it's a really bad idea to push the car down the hill then jump in to bump start. People have accidentally run themselves over trying this. It's best to find someone to help.

A neighbour asked me to help him push start his car, we have a slight hill where i live so i told him get in and IL push, anyway I'm pushing it and i tell him to try start it now, Dump ass turns the key and goes no it wont start. Some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If battery isn't the issue, it might be water in your dizzy!

Try checking for moisture in your distributor cap - follow your 4 spark plug leads from the top of the engine to the dizzy cap. Make sure you put it back on the same way it came off. Dry off the 4 contacts for the plugs. There is a rotor exposed when you remove the cap - make sure you dry this as well.

If there's any discoloration on the contacts, clean off with a bit of sand paper - by discolouration, I mean a very dull to black finish on the contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What make/model is the car? My money's on something French or Italian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

JHMEG wrote: »
    What make/model is the car? My money's on something French or Italian :D
    And a happy Sunday afternoon to all posters...

Though mine isn't very happy...I just washed my Mitsubishi Lancer GLX from head to toe, as i regularly do. No lights on, doors open alright, and am pretty sure the key in ignition wasn't turned in the ignition. Took about 3 hours from start to finish, nice job done if i do say so myself. Then, went to start it and....nothing! First turn, it kind of made a strange noise, then any attempt after that it was just turning over.

Regards

I hope you're not a betting man :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Lots of owners of French/Italian cars find they won't start after being washed too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Nothin to do with battery anyway! Obviously water got in sumwhere- is your fusebox tight? Glad ya got it it goin in the end!

Advertisement