Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New City centre shops

• 08-11-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

great to see new shops opening up in the city

New outdoor shop on the Quay where tony farrell furniture(i think) used to be

New health and beauty products (selling at trade prices) store where giselle shoes used to be

New deli and wine shop on the corner of conduit lane and the quay (think it used to be an opticians)

New 'Next door' off licence on the quay where chapmans used to be

great boost to the city....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

is the outdoor shop open now? Has anyone been in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

was in there today.... its the army surplus store after moving up from new street.. just as well... other store was very cramped

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

And to think that he was one of those who was totally against the KRM development as he said it would severly impact on his business during construction, then guess what he ups sticks and moves anyway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Really? thats interesting.

The KRM development is badly needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

A lot of things are badly needed in waterford! ! all objectors should be booted out 4 holding waterford back! !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aquos76 wrote: »
    And to think that he was one of those who was totally against the KRM development as he said it would severly impact on his business during construction, then guess what he ups sticks and moves anyway:rolleyes:

In fairness, things may have changed for him since then,
    He may not have been in a position to move before for any number of reasons (rents were higher, his turnover etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Cabaal wrote: »
    In fairness, things may have changed for him since then,
    He may not have been in a position to move before for any number of reasons (rents were higher, his turnover etc)

Still though, Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    Still though, Very annoying.

I always thought it was a bizarre thing to say and do what he did. That centre would have put 10 times more passing trade past his shop, and he would have been competing with nobody in there. Very small minded.

I wonder will the cranks and discontents that have been arguing that pedestrianisation is killing the city centre, using closing shops as evidence, now start believing that pedestrianisation is what the city needs? Will they f**k.

Businesses like Berfranks rely on Waterford being a nice place to stay and hang out in for a while, more roads and carparks just make people want to get in and out of it quicker and not hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Any new investment in waterford city center is great,the city center need's a kick in the butt,looking back 2/3 year's waterford was on the up and was very user friendly and even at peak time's was a joy to shop in,walking from shop to shop with no traffic to worry about,being able to chat with friend's in comfort are as important as a wide selection of retailer's.Hopefully we will see a return to the good time's not only here but also to this great country of our's.The Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

New shop called Deja Vu on Baileys New St (street behind Reginalds Tower). They take your handbags, accessories and hats and sell them for you or you can trade in your handbags! Great to see new shops opening even in the recession! I got a bargain Louis Vuitton speedy bag for 180 euro. The girl that had it before just wanted the cash for a new one. It was practically brand new and genuine! Fab jewellery there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Have they been there a while? Or maybe somewhere else and relocated? I could swear I'd seen it before. Or maybe I'm experiencing...no, I shan't go for the obvious punchline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Kahless wrote: »
    Have they been there a while? Or maybe somewhere else and relocated? I could swear I'd seen it before. Or maybe I'm experiencing...no, I shan't go for the obvious punchline.

You know that's just the Matrix reprogramming itself.. ;)

It's great to see some life coming into the city considering whats happening.

haydo333 wrote: »
    New shop called Deja Vu on Baileys New St (street behind Reginalds Tower). They take your handbags, accessories and hats and sell them for you or you can trade in your handbags! Great to see new shops opening even in the recession! I got a bargain Louis Vuitton speedy bag for 180 euro. The girl that had it before just wanted the cash for a new one. It was practically brand new and genuine! Fab jewellery there too!

Thought they were there a long time...

There seems to be a newsagent/centra/spar being kit out on O'Connell st. at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

I was sure Deja Vu was there before and i asked the girl about it. She said there used to be a hat shop there years ago but she's opened up in the last few weeks and changed the format to trading in and selling your bags, hats, jewellery etc. Recessionista shopping! Think she still does hat hire but on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

that fella with the outdoor shop was evicted by the court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

also a new shop opening up on the quays where the internet cafe was... oh and across form that they a new food place open

hmm i miss that internet cafe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nice new kids' clothing shop called Gopher It in O'Connell St. Looks good - quite an addition to the street. Same with the new Londis opening on the Quay.

It's funny actually. I took a walk around town last night and there seemed to be a lot of shops being worked on around the place. Maybe this recession isn't quite as bad as is constantly being said in the media?

fricatus wrote: »
    Nice new kids' clothing shop called Gopher It in O'Connell St. Looks good - quite an addition to the street. Same with the new Londis opening on the Quay.

It's funny actually. I took a walk around town last night and there seemed to be a lot of shops being worked on around the place. Maybe this recession isn't quite as bad as is constantly being said in the media?

O'Connell st. and the Quay have been on the up and up for about a year, starting with the building of the Spirit leisure centre/spa and the chipper. The Bridge st. end of O'Connell st. by the Domincan is actually quite attractive now.

My theory is that people are using redundancies to take a punt on a business. If so, I hope they are successful. There are too few individuals running too many businesses in Waterford and the more small players the better.

Penney's is looking good and will give the city centre a boost when it opens. If only the Meteor and Carphone warehouse shops would go somewhere else and some other prominent store would open in the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Typhoon. wrote: »
    was in there today.... its the army surplus store after moving up from new street.. just as well... other store was very cramped

Seems a bit of a missed opportunity to me which is a pity. Not much in the way of clothing. No North Face, Berghaus, Lowe Alpine. Only Jack Wolfskin and more generic brands from what I could see. Inside the door the first display you see is for a pair of waders for fishing ?? Looks like the pulled cabinets and shelves out of the old shop too. Considering the space that was available in there they had the chance to make themselves the premier outdoor shop in the south east. With the passing tourist trade from Dooleys, Granville and Grannary building and the lack of other outdoor shops in the south east they had good opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

merlante wrote: »
    O'Connell st. and the Quay have been on the up and up for about a year, starting with the building of the Spirit leisure centre/spa and the chipper. The Bridge st. end of O'Connell st. by the Domincan is actually quite attractive now.

That's true actually. It's amazing how Spirit has lifted the whole area.

merlante wrote: »
    Penney's is looking good and will give the city centre a boost when it opens.

Forgot to mention that actually - and they seem to have done it in double-quick time.

It would be the icing on the cake if the KRM development could get going. I presume it's just a matter of funding.

fricatus wrote: »
    It would be the icing on the cake if the KRM development could get going. I presume it's just a matter of funding.

I'd say they're just waiting for the right line of credit from the banks. I think it was quite a consortium they had there so I doubt all the money is gone, but I suppose there is still a lot of uncertainty.

Any news on this would be highly appreciated!

Advertisement