Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap quad?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please recomend a cheep ass 775 quad.
    I am currently using a e6600 @ 3.2ghz (up from 2.4) but two cores is no longer enough.
    I'm thinking it's better to cheep out on the cpu and overclock as I will probably want to get in on i5/i7 + DDR3 in the next year or so.

the motherboard is GA-965p-s3 (rev1) with 1x2gig of ballistix 800 2.1v ram

vista 32bit OS

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you can still find cheap Q6600/Q6700s out there that's pretty much it. And they may not be that stable, especially under OC - the pre-P3x chipsets were never designed with quad-core CPUs in mind, although the super-high-end P965 has at least some measure of compatibility with the Q6x00 series, so long as you have the latest (F10 and up) BIOS.

If you can't find them under €150 there's no point unless you need to keep compatible with Photoshop; you're better off with an AMD X4-6x0 and a cheap AM2 mobo (preferably RS760/770 chipset, although anything past good ol' 780V will do) to go with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

thankyou Solitaire. thats useful information on the overclocking limitations.
    I am having trouble finding the q6600/q6700 online.
    the amd solution is not an option as money is tight and would like to keep the board until I do a proper upgrade if/when I get enough cash together.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless buying second-hand you'd be paying about the same (€140-160 + p&p) either way - the A2 quads are much cheaper but you'd need a new mobo for them.

Advertisement