Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMPULSORY TO JOIN UNION?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 5:07pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi folks,
    dont know if I am in the correct place or thread here.
    I am a temporary employee. I was given a form to fill out upon starting which asked if I wanted to be part of the union siptu. I ticked no. Now I was called to HR on Friday 6th Nov. and told I have to join or my contract will be terminated?? I had till 3.30 to join. Needless to say I joined. Others temps who have just joined the firm had a similar fate. I checked the contract and sure enough its in it that you have to join!! But many in the firm are not in the union. It seems they have recently changed policy and the union people were seen visiting on many occasions. The union form I was forced to fill in said" I voluntarily join the union siptu" and I signed it.
    Now I had always thought this was voluntary and no one could force you to join a union? I feel like siptu soehow have made a deal with my company to get money. And I feel like I am being taken advantage of. I am on close to minimum wage and the yearly union fees are over 250 euro.
    Whats the legal stance on this? Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Benito

Hi, been a lurker on this and other sites. Your query made me join this one. One reason only, I am a SIPTU member in a private company. In my company, I am oblidged to be a union member but, only after a 3 month period. No union support for 3 months. Once a permanent contract is signed, you then become a union member. Is this not your situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Hi

Noticed this myself, and unless mistaken, under previous case law that this is illegal. I think you were intimidated, and you were unaware of your legal rights in this matter. Do be aware however, that boards.ie nor myself are responsible for any legal advice given, and I am not a lawyer, it just happens to be a case I recall from my college days.

I cite the case of Meskel vs CIE from 1972, where a worker did not wish to join a union, but was coerced into doing so. I'd advice you to cross check this, bring a witness with you into your HR Department and get this relinquished. You have the freedom of association or not to associate, this is clearly set down in constitutional law.

Your HR Department, have left themselves open to the possibility of legal action on these grounds alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Hi

Noticed this myself, and unless mistaken, under previous case law that this is illegal. I think you were intimidated, and you were unaware of your legal rights in this matter. Do be aware however, that boards.ie nor myself are responsible for any legal advice given, and I am not a lawyer, it just happens to be a case I recall from my college days.

I cite the case of Meskel vs CIE from 1972, where a worker did not wish to join a union, but was coerced into doing so. I'd advice you to cross check this, bring a witness with you into your HR Department and get this relinquished. You have the freedom of association or not to associate, this is clearly set down in constitutional law.

Your HR Department, have left themselves open to the possibility of legal action on these grounds alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

johneym, I moved your initial post to the Work & Jobs forum located in the Biz category as that's the correct forum for it. That post is still there. Since then you've started another one there and another one here (this one). Also one in the Legal Discussion forum. And more for all I know. You only need one and this isn't the correct forum. No need to have multiple threads going on the same question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement