Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice (IRL) - Season 2 Week 8 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Thumbs down Ruth.

Have to say, i'm scarlet for her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Eyespy wrote: »
    I'm so thick but don't they do that in the pub, with spirits anyway? And why on earth would you do it at home? If its solely a beer promotion, doesn't Guiness come in a can with measurements? Surely you only need a pint glass? I am totally flummoxed

Pay attention much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 cerise

I see ruth has her own marketing consultancy ie nobody has hired her. www.ruthodowd.com/ It has all the buzz words but judging on her performances on the show, I would not be too keen to hire her or indeed any of them!!

Reckon that it why she did not appear on the show as she wants to be taken seriously and that Brendan I think can be too harsh on some of the apprentices and was probably afraid to take any criticism or gossip on the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

cerise wrote: »
    I see ruth has her own marketing consultancy ie nobody has hired her. www.ruthodowd.com/ It has all the buzz words but judging on her performances on the show, I would not be too keen to hire her or indeed any of them!!

Reckon that it why she did not appear on the show as she wants to be taken seriously and that Brendan I think can be too harsh on some of the apprentices and was probably afraid to take any criticism or gossip on the others!

Ruth O'Dowd Marketing Sevices R.I.P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I see ruth has her own marketing consultancy ie nobody has hired her. www.ruthodowd.com/ I

FFS who the hell would hire her now? I mean she can't even calculate VAT correctly! State of her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ive never sat through a whole "You're fired" but made a point of watching most of it tonight. BOC is a prize twat and his "razor sharp" style is KAK. NOT funny and only embarrassing himself.

I despise him for the ****e he has printed in the Sunday Independent every week but he's actually not too bad on this. I still can't take him seriously but he does a good job on this imo.

The other Brian, what an obnoxious lump, somebody should tell him Big Brother was 8 years ago. I've seen him get ridiculously excited when he's put on TV and last night was no different. I'm sure they edited the worst bits. He's like a hyperactive child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    FFS who the hell would hire her now? I mean she can't even calculate VAT correctly! State of her.

The fact that she showed little marketing nous despite her Master's and much vaunted Experience would more likely scupper her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭FruttiTutti

I would literally be SHOCKED if there's a single person out there who would think she's worth hiring. Who can't calculate VAT? You shouldn't need any business experience of any shape make or form to be able to do that. And not knowing the figures at that presentation last night was unforgivable, it's only a few numbers, and was basically all she had to do.

Then just highlighting her performance by not showing up for You're Fired etc. So foolish.

One way ticket out of here please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I would literally be SHOCKED if there's a single person out there who would think she's worth hiring. Who can't calculate VAT? You shouldn't need any business experience of any shape make or form to be able to do that. And not knowing the figures at that presentation last night was unforgivable, it's only a few numbers, and was basically all she had to do.

Then just highlighting her performance by not showing up for You're Fired etc. So foolish.

One way ticket out of here please!

What shocks me is that several people on this show own their own businesses and they can't calculate VAT correctly. That's an invitation for the Revenue to get medieval on your a$$!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 cerise

Does anybody know if those candidates that had jobs before starting the apprentice like Aoiffe, English Steve, lucinda etc actually still have the same ones in Eircom and Clerys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

i agree that was ruths second time messing up numbers....she is a joke i have only got into the series in the last 4 weeks but each she seemed like one of the worst candidates....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cerise wrote: »
    Does anybody know if those candidates that had jobs before starting the apprentice like Aoiffe, English Steve, lucinda etc actually still have the same ones in Eircom and Clerys?

Of course they did! They were all at the pinnacle of their careers earning 6 figure salaries and only decided to go on the show as they were ready for the next step of their career, there was only one logical step when you get to that level,go work for Bill :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also do they not have to resign from their current jobs to enter the competition, i.e. when they leave they have no job to return to?

What a night!!!

Thankfully the Breffmeister Express is choo choo chooing straight to next week!! :):):)

I honestly think Ruth just made a complete fool out of herself by not appearing on the aftershow. If she had appeared, no matter how bad things got, it would be forgotten about by next week. Now she'll always be the one who refused to appear. It's so immature, and in terms of future employment, I wouldn't employ someone so petty!! How the hell is she going out and about anywhere with her head held hight? I'd be rosy red with embarrassment. Thumbs down Ruth.
    To be fair you dont know the full story as to why she wasnt on the show do you? (I dont either!) but it she could have had a multitude of reasons why she didnt go on. She could have been treated badly by the producers and gave them 2 fingers or there could have been personal reasons? I actually think its rather funny she didnt go on, makes the show come across even more amateur, if that was possible. BOC was so devoid of ideas without the candidate in front of him he felt he had to crank up the mocking by several levels to a point of distaste, what a clown.

I see from Ruth's website she has used her profile pics from the show, seriously, COME ON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

In fairness to Ruth, it's not everyone's Mum has a biscuit named after them:

From Anglo Celt, on her website:

"The 30-year-old daughter of Tom and Marietta O'Dowd appeared on the first episode of the new TV series The Apprentice on Monday night."

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Also do they not have to resign from their current jobs to enter the competition, i.e. when they leave they have no job to return to?
    Nope!

The singing elf is back teaching and one of the other girls that was fired a few weeks ago is back in her day job in a well known insurance company. She took a month off work to do the show.

15 mins of fame and a lifetime of embarrassment :D

That differs from the UK version where the contestants must resign their positions.

That differs from the UK version where the contestants must resign their positions.
    Sure since the Irish version is littered with "company owners" and "directors" I'm sure they'll be OK ;)

You don't that sort of carry on in the UK version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

You don't that sort of carry on in the UK version.

You dont get ANY of the carry on on the Irish version in the UK - They choose contestants with brains :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

To be fair you dont know the full story as to why she wasnt on the show do you? (I dont either!) but it she could have had a multitude of reasons why she didnt go on. She could have been treated badly by the producers and gave them 2 fingers or there could have been personal reasons? I actually think its rather funny she didnt go on, makes the show come across even more amateur, if that was possible. BOC was so devoid of ideas without the candidate in front of him he felt he had to crank up the mocking by several levels to a point of distaste, what a clown.

I see from Ruth's website she has used her profile pics from the show, seriously, COME ON.

she may have caught a bird or swine flu or both...
    swineflu.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Wonder what Brenda (last years winner) is doing now?

Last I heard she was working with Jackie, producing and marketing Jackie's new line of beauty products from her spa down in Killarney - they were launched about a month ago?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Any journos have the balls to step up to the plate and ask the tough questions or apply some critique to the show instead of licking its a-hole?

There was a piece in last Sunday's Irish Mail, that the Apprentice was in the firing line of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland because of the plugs given to the products. Haven't seen anything else in the papers about it really!!

Episodes have been re-edited to get it past the BAI regulations and TV3's lawyers have sat through every episode to ensure that it meets the regulations. TV3 are annoyed that the BAI (who were set up about a month ago) have targeted two of their shows (the apprentice and Vincents Brownes show) and have targeted no RTE show - conspiracy based on the fact that the new head of the BAI is former director general of RTE Bob Collins.

On a seperate note, what the f*ck are the Gov doing setting up the BAI, when money is badly needed elsewhere?

she may have caught a bird or swine flu or both...

There was a rumour that one of the contestants came down with swine flu - could have been her:rolleyes:

There was a piece in last Sunday's Irish Mail, that the Apprentice was in the firing line of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland because of the plugs given to the products. Haven't seen anything else in the papers about it really!!

Episodes have been re-edited to get it past the BAI regulations and TV3's lawyers have sat through every episode to ensure that it meets the regulations. TV3 are annoyed that the BAI (who were set up about a month ago) have targeted two of their shows (the apprentice and Vincents Brownes show) and have targeted no RTE show - conspiracy based on the fact that the new head of the BAI is former director general of RTE Bob Collins.

On a seperate note, what the f*ck are the Gov doing setting up the BAI, when money is badly needed elsewhere?
    The BAI is badly needed. The BAI are looking into alot of TV3's output and with good reason.

The BAI is badly needed. The BAI are looking into alot of TV3's output and with good reason.

For some reason I though the BCI was still there but it has become the BAI! :rolleyes:

Last I heard she was working with Jackie, producing and marketing Jackie's new line of beauty products from her spa down in Killarney - they were launched about a month ago?

Google is great!

This is what you can achieve by winning The Apprentice.....recording voicemails and sending them out to Renault customers :rolleyes: The envy of thousands I am sure :o

http://www.tribune.ie/magazine/features/article/2009/jul/05/ken-sweeney-the-diary/
    wrote:
    Last year she landed a €100,000-a-year job as Bill Cullen's apprentice. But as well as being project manager for the multimillionaire mogul, bridal-shop owner Brenda Shanahan can now be heard on new automated messages from her boss.

In recent weeks customers of Bill Cullen's motor group have been receiving pre-recorded calls from Shanahan inviting them to drop into one of his garages.

One customer told us: "My phone rang and it was a familiar voice saying, 'Hi, this is Brenda Shanahan from The Apprentice.' She went on to talk about a special weekend going on in Bill Cullen's Liffey Valley dealership. I was a bit taken aback."

But the automated calls featuring The Apprentice winner have been defended by Bill Cullen.

"We've found that posting letters to customers is useless. People just throw them in the bin," he told us. "That's why we decided to do a voicemail. We're using Brenda because you have no idea how recognisable she is to people. No matter who she rings, people know her and want to hear what she's got to say."

Cullen says that so far he has received only a small number of complaints about the automated messages.

"We had a total of four complaints from people we rang by mistake because someone dialled an eight instead of a zero. When we explained to them what happened, they didn't seem to mind. In fact two of them came into our garages and bought cars," said Cullen.

However, the Penny Apples author says himself and apprentice Brenda continue to lose sleep over collapsing car sales. "The wheels have come off the motor trade completely," he said. "We're down 66% on last year. It's unsustainable. There are about 30 garages gone out of business and there will be a couple of hundred in the next six months. That's how bad it is.

"We have five different dealerships and the outlook for the next six months is very bleak. That's why we decided to do the voicemail."

Maybe the next winner of The Apprentice will have the answer. Shooting on the second series of the TV3 show has just been completed. Insiders say the tasks proved harder this year because not only did the 14 candidates have to deal with paparazzi constantly tailing them, they have also had to do business in the toughest economic environment ever seen in Ireland.

"They didn't have it easy because the Celtic tiger is gone and the country has been left with an economy in serious difficulties," said Cullen. "Only the best of warriors survive."

Like Brenda Shanahan, the 2009 winner of The Apprentice will find themselves working alongside Bill Cullen on a 12-month contract and a financial package worth €100,000.

So do you think it's a coincidence that she "accidentally" hadn't signed the part of the contract that would have obliged her to do the aftershow, and then some other reason just happened to come up for her not doing it. Even if she was treated poorly by the producers I think it would have been in her interest to do the aftershow, not doing it just makes her look like a bad loser.

I'll second that, COME ON!!!

• Advertisement

And no job is worth this....

CC_The_Apprentice_12014164_display.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement