Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice (IRL) - Season 2 Week 8 Discussion

Options

Comments

Sizzler wrote: »
    Google is great!

This is what you can achieve by winning The Apprentice.....recording voicemails and sending them out to Renault customers :rolleyes: The envy of thousands I am sure :o

then he'll definitely fix it so the Breff wins... next year's voicemail...

"This is umm Breffney Morgan from the apprentice. You should drop into Dr.Bill's Renault showroom 'cos you need a car to drive around in and stuff."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

Eyespy wrote: »
    God, laughing so hard at the trainwreck that is Breffney. Loving it. Drink-driving :D

"its portable so you can bring it drink drivin..."

the brefmiester is bloody classic, the lads who put him in the show must hav been havin a laugh! never laughed so much in my life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

walshb wrote: »
    There is somethin' ever so attractive about her. She's far from perfrect, but that is part of her attractiveness.
    I prefer Geraldine. She is a nice normal girl. My wife laughed when Geraldine said 'We done' and lied when I pointed out that she says 'I seen'.

I hate that Carlow/ Kilkenny accent.
    If they'd modelled the Alco Measure on Aoiffe's face they could have had her teeth for a bottle opener; her eyes for a torch and her makeup for some other BleedinJaysus thing.

And her legs are like the garden gate they won't stay closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

sim2 wrote: »
    Well English Steve is a Senior Business Development Manager

aka Eircom sales rep

Geraldine is an account manager for a beauty company

She used to work in a gym, couldn't remember what she does now though.
    Thanks.
    Bosco Steve is an MD for a company which gives people personal physical training coming up to their wedding day

aka self-employed gym instructor with a website
    Aoiffffffffe is a Marketing/Business Development Executive for Clerys department store in Dublin

Someone last week says she mans a counter in BT in Galway
    Ruth has a masters in marketing, her primary degree was in agriculture, she works for a charity to help young people

Just goes to show - while she had the qualifications, she was useless.
    Her responsibilities in the charity job obviously hadn't prepared her for "de real wurdld"
    Lucinda is a Telecommunications Online Manager

Web admin
    and last but not least...The Breffmeister - he is a personal trainer, using his experience in rowing, with a Harvard degree in Biology.

I don't even think he's doing personal training anymore. He said he wound down his own company in week 1 so he was probably sitting at home scratching himself before the Apprentice came along.
    I have a sneaking suspicion he's not as dumb as TV3 make out though!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Breffny Morgan should be made a Freeman of Cork City, according to Bill Cullen's right hand man on The Apprentice

Brian Purcell, the special advisor who monitors the TV3 contestants during tasks, described Breffny as "an Irish icon".

Mr Purcell is a public relations consultant and former marine biologist who spent four years as Bill Cullen's apprentice.

He is perhaps best placed to judge the ability of the candidates of the hit show.

Speaking to the Evening Echo today, Brian said: "Breffny should be given the freedom of Cork."

"As a proud Kerryman, I can say Breffny is definately my favourite Corkman"

"He is not just a legend, he's an Irish icon"

In last night's episode, Douglas man Breffny escaped the boardroom showdown, despite another disasterous performance by his team on a challenge to create a new product to measure alcohol units.

Mr Purcell said Breffny's often clumsy style could be put down to a lack of work experience.

"Breffny never worked. He has no experience, but he is growing into it. He's a lovely chap, very charming. I think once he gets a bit more experience he would be an asset to any company. He showed a lot of balls last week when he won the Cadbury's task almosy single-handedly, despite the girls on his team not giving him any help"

Last night, Ruth O Dowd, a marketing manager from Cavan, got her marching orders from Bill.

Then she sensationally refused to appear on the after-show programme with Brendan O Connor.

Brian said: "Ruth decided that appearing on the show wouldn't be of any benefit to her. She is a strong willed person and she is in the process of setting up her own business. It was a shame because I think the other contestants have come across very well on the show.

Mr Purcell has promised "real fireworks" and and high profile sacking in next week's show.

"We have been a bit disappointed with the lack of innovation so far, but the tasks are getting more difficult. These contestants are competing for a €100,000 job with Bill Cullen during the worst recession since the 1930s. We are going to make that person earn it" said Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

There was a piece in last Sunday's Irish Mail, that the Apprentice was in the firing line of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland because of the plugs given to the products. Haven't seen anything else in the papers about it really!!

Episodes have been re-edited to get it past the BAI regulations and TV3's lawyers have sat through every episode to ensure that it meets the regulations. TV3 are annoyed that the BAI (who were set up about a month ago) have targeted two of their shows (the apprentice and Vincents Brownes show) and have targeted no RTE show - conspiracy based on the fact that the new head of the BAI is former director general of RTE Bob Collins.

On a seperate note, what the f*ck are the Gov doing setting up the BAI, when money is badly needed elsewhere?
    They are getting away with murder tbh. The show is a walking advertisement. Samsung / SPAR/ Meteor /Diageo / Cadbury's...

No doubt all these people paid top dollar to get the exposure but how it is not in breach of product placement regs I dont know! The UK version has occassional product placement but not with an asses roar of what the Irish viewer is being subjected to :eek:
    So do you think it's a coincidence that she "accidentally" hadn't signed the part of the contract that would have obliged her to do the aftershow, and then some other reason just happened to come up for her not doing it. Even if she was treated poorly by the producers I think it would have been in her interest to do the aftershow, not doing it just makes her look like a bad loser.
    Well let me put it another way....they are telling joe public that she didnt sign the form....do you believe that? Just throwing it out there. They are hardly going to come out and say "Ruth refused to do any subsequent media interviews as frankly we didnt have a leg to stand on and she told us to fook off".

Very coincidental that the story was leaked to the sunday press before this weeks show....Max Clifford style.Things are not always as they appear ;)
    Breffny Morgan should be made a Freeman of Cork City, according to Bill Cullen's right hand man on The Apprentice

Brian Purcell, the special advisor who monitors the TV3 contestants during tasks, described Breffny as "an Irish icon".

Mr Purcell is a public relations consultant and former marine biologist who spent four years as Bill Cullen's apprentice.

He is perhaps best placed to judge the ability of the candidates of the hit show.

Speaking to the Evening Echo today, Brian said: "Breffny should be given the freedom of Cork."

"As a proud Kerryman, I can say Breffny is definately my favourite Corkman"

"He is not just a legend, he's an Irish icon"

In last night's episode, Douglas man Breffny escaped the boardroom showdown, despite another disasterous performance by his team on a challenge to create a new product to measure alcohol units.

Mr Purcell said Breffny's often clumsy style could be put down to a lack of work experience.

"Breffny never worked. He has no experience, but he is growing into it. He's a lovely chap, very charming. I think once he gets a bit more experience he would be an asset to any company. He showed a lot of balls last week when he won the Cadbury's task almosy single-handedly, despite the girls on his team not giving him any help"

Last night, Ruth O Dowd, a marketing manager from Cavan, got her marching orders from Bill.

Then she sensationally refused to appear on the after-show programme with Brendan O Connor.

Brian said: "Ruth decided that appearing on the show wouldn't be of any benefit to her. She is a strong willed person and she is in the process of setting up her own business. It was a shame because I think the other contestants have come across very well on the show.

Mr Purcell has promised "real fireworks" and and high profile sacking in next week's show.

"We have been a bit disappointed with the lack of innovation so far, but the tasks are getting more difficult. These contestants are competing for a €100,000 job with Bill Cullen during the worst recession since the 1930s. We are going to make that person earn it" said Brian
    Amazing how this guy can talk to a paper but can't talk on the show isnt it :rolleyes:

The fact that he sees Breff as an icon doesnt say a lot about his judgement in business now does it? He's obviously flat out in his own job and thats how he could take weeks off to film the advertising farce that is The Irish Apprentice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are getting away with murder tbh. The show is a walking advertisement.
    TV3 have been actively thumbing their noses at the BAI/BCI/BCC for yonks. Those in Ballymount think they are untouchable. There seems to be no will to enforce rulings by the regulator.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    TV3 have been actively thumbing their noses at the BAI/BCI/BCC for yonks. Those in Ballymount think they are untouchable. There seems to be no will to enforce rulings by the regulator.
    A bit like the financial regulator so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They're going to fire Bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jesus, Mary and Joseph - I watched it last night. One of the funniest things I've ever seen - definitely. SURELY some of it is staged? Or at least the guy from Cork has been planted there as comic relief?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph - I watched it last night. One of the funniest things I've ever seen - definitely. SURELY some of it is staged? Or at least the guy from Cork has been planted there as comic relief?

The boardroom scenes are all scripted yes but the remaining train wreck is all done 'au natural' by the muppets wannabe lackies ;)

The boardroom scenes are all scripted yes
    How do you mean?

Heroditas wrote: »
    They're going to fire Bill?
    LOL.

If only. Is he not eligible for a pension or something :mad:

If he had to apply for his own show he wouldnt get past the CV sifting stage.

Bills CV -

Work experience -

Stall on Moore St selling apples.
    Trying to sell renault's to unsuspecting members of the public.
    Trying not to lose me bollix on a hotel in Kerry.

Interests & Hobbies -

Polishing a rented Bentley
    Driving me moth down to the beauticians (daily)

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How do you mean?
    Sorry, I meant Cullen's lines as opposed to the contestants.

Ah, I was thinking that.

I was wondering how could they script the back stabbing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

watched the american apprentice and they all seem older on it

also donald trump gives praise where due - although he probably has much better candidates

bill rarely praises - he's a grumpy bo!!ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Heroditas wrote: »
    aka Eircom sales rep

She used to work in a gym, couldn't remember what she does now though.
    Thanks.

aka self-employed gym instructor with a website

Someone last week says she mans a counter in BT in Galway

Just goes to show - while she had the qualifications, she was useless.
    Her responsibilities in the charity job obviously hadn't prepared her for "de real wurdld"

Web admin

I don't even think he's doing personal training anymore. He said he wound down his own company in week 1 so he was probably sitting at home scratching himself before the Apprentice came along.
    I have a sneaking suspicion he's not as dumb as TV3 make out though!

A fairly fcukin useless bunch :rolleyes: At least last years contestants had some get up and go about them. In truth, I could not pick a person from the final 6 who would stand out.

Fcuk me, not knowing how to apply VAT is beyond forgivable... not once but twice!!!!!!!!!

Poor Stephen couldn't even keep his business going either - http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/nov/01/apprentice-contestant-vows-to-clear-4500-start-up-/

If they're supposed to be the top business people in Ireland then I give up. Of course it's done for TV but what were the producers thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Ugh, Ray Foley on the after show? No thanks!!

Ruth was right to go though. Pure snake who really didn't seem to have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

stepbar wrote: »
    If they're supposed to be the top business people in Ireland then I give up. Of course it's done for TV but what were the producers thinking?

All they are, are people in dead end jobs that fancied a stab at earning a €100,000 contract and the 'experience' of working for Cullen. I know from speaking to one of the fired contestants that one interview is all that was required and since speaking to this person I have developed a bit of sympathy for the candidates. I don't think there was a stampede of applicants this year and basically they were stuck with fairly average people. Cullen knows what he doesn't want and has a PHD in hindsight.

In their defence they get two days to complete a task, and some of the tasks have included shooting a tv commercial, developing a chocolate bar from scratch. Most of these projects would take months for professionals to complete, they have to do it in two days, the boardroom scenes are given a whole day to shoot, mainly because Bill the OAP can't get his act together and constantly fluffs his lines. The schedule is two days on the task, one day in the boardroom, winners get next day being pampered, then it's back in to another task. 10 minute phone call home once a week. I would love to be on it just to tell Cullen to 'stick it up his bollix' when he fired me.

Biggest mistake the candidates make is the lack of delegation, the whole show is a bit of a farce, but it is compelling viewing. I see that it had more viewers than Plank Kenny on Monday night, not a bad feat considering Kenny had someone in the audience that finally told him what a lot of us wished we had the balls to do, without looking like a nutter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Bill the OAP can't get his act together and constantly fluffs his lines.

That's hilarious, I think he always comes across like an ignorant bastard in the programme, even with all that editing and selective filming.

without looking like a nutter!

Eh dunno about that, thought he came across as an absolute tool.

• Advertisement

Aldito wrote: »
    Eh dunno about that, thought he came across as an absolute tool.

Sorry, that's what I meant, I wish I'd done it without looking like a nutter.

All they are, are people in dead end jobs that fancied a stab at earning a €100,000 contract and the 'experience' of working for Cullen. I know from speaking to one of the fired contestants that one interview is all that was required and since speaking to this person I have developed a bit of sympathy for the candidates. I don't think there was a stampede of applicants this year and basically they were stuck with fairly average people. Cullen knows what he doesn't want and has a PHD in hindsight.

In their defence they get two days to complete a task, and some of the tasks have included shooting a tv commercial, developing a chocolate bar from scratch. Most of these projects would take months for professionals to complete, they have to do it in two days, the boardroom scenes are given a whole day to shoot, mainly because Bill the OAP can't get his act together and constantly fluffs his lines. The schedule is two days on the task, one day in the boardroom, winners get next day being pampered, then it's back in to another task. 10 minute phone call home once a week. I would love to be on it just to tell Cullen to 'stick it up his bollix' when he fired me.

Biggest mistake the candidates make is the lack of delegation, the whole show is a bit of a farce, but it is compelling viewing. I see that it had more viewers than Plank Kenny on Monday night, not a bad feat considering Kenny had someone in the audience that finally told him what a lot of us wished we had the balls to do, without looking like a nutter!
    Nail on head from start to finish :)

Out of interest, did you ask this person why they went on the show? Was it because they wanted to be on TV? They had a shyte job? They wanted the 100k "package" (in laymans terms, 50K a year and a company car and bonus)?

She knew her job was looking dodgy and has since been made redundant (nothing to do with Apprentice appearance, was laid off before it was aired) and thought it would be a good idea. Doesn't regret going on it, great experience gained, won't do her CV any harm long term, by next year people will have forgotten she was on it. I also think she enjoys the 'fame', she is chuffed that people recognise her. I think the lucky ones get out early.

She knew her job was looking dodgy and has since been made redundant (nothing to do with Apprentice appearance, was laid off before it was aired) and thought it would be a good idea. Doesn't regret going on it, great experience gained, won't do her CV any harm long term, by next year people will have forgotten she was on it. I also think she enjoys the 'fame', she is chuffed that people recognise her. I think the lucky ones get out early.
    A great experience in how not to do business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

won't do her CV any harm long term,

that rules out a few possibilities of who you were talking to so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Apparantly only 2,000 people applied for the show this year!

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Apparantly only 2,000 people applied for the show this year!

I doubt that there were that many, I'd say they added an extra zero on the end of that figure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

bill rarely praises - he's a grumpy bo!!ix

I think its the sliding door he has to walk through into the board room, thats what makes him grumpy...only a matter of time before he gets caught in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

The interview contained 3 stages.

1) VAT test
    2) English test
    3) Modesty test

If you failed all three you got the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

MrMicra wrote: »
    I prefer Geraldine. She is a nice normal girl. My wife laughed when Geraldine said 'We done' and lied when I pointed out that she says 'I seen'.

I hate that Carlow/ Kilkenny accent.
    If they'd modelled the Alco Measure on Aoiffe's face they could have had her teeth for a bottle opener; her eyes for a torch and her makeup for some other BleedinJaysus thing.

And her legs are like the garden gate they won't stay closed!

lol my thoughts exactly! :p She wrecks my head and everytime she appears on the screen it's hard to take your eyes off her bugs bunny teeth, those mad big eyes! lol

Geraldine is so funny sometimes, the things she comes out with.

Breffny or Geraldine ftw! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement