Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowhere in Ireland to try out a good range of mandolins..?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

It seems most music shops stock a few low end mandolins, maybe 1 or 2 expensive ones and that's about it. I have yet to come across a shop that does a good range of mid to high level mandolins.
    I would love to make the step up and get a decent one, but there doesn't seem to be the option of trying out 4 or 5 A style mandolins, then 4 or 5 F style mandolins to see which I would prefer. Neck size could vary etc...

Maybe the way to go is to get one handmade, but you're talking about serious money here.....I only want to spend around €500, but even at that level, there's not a whole lot around and that includes shops in Dublin. I could be wrong, but if someone could beg to differ, it would be great....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

http://www.soundshop.ie/product-listings.php?cid=15&subid=468

The Soundshop in Drogheda maybe? The last time I was in there they had a decent range as far as I can remember. They price matched an onlne price for an acoustic guitar for me too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

nice one cheers, I'm down south, but would not be bothered getting in the car...
    a bit way over my budget but I'll email them anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

They have about 7-8 hanging up near the guitars in Waltons in Dublin, but i don't think they are that high a quality, what is your budget?

about €500 roughly. I was only in Waltons last week, but was trying out some guitars so didn't take too much notice. The shop up by Parnell street only had a few..I could be wrong on the georges street shop though...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

To be honest I was surprised how expensive the mandolins were.:eek: I have played guitar for years and never realy paid any attention to the mandolins anytime I was in a music shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Goodwins on capel street is pretty good (that might be the one near parnell street you mentioned) but there is also perfect pitch on exchequer street but i havn't been in there in quite some time so not sure what their mandolin selection is like

yes, i forgot about goodwins, i must remember it the next time I am in Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I have a Jimmy Moon mandolin. I bought in in McNeils on Capel Street well over 10 years ago (my Dad bought it! I was a kid) The shop is over a pub now, it has been converted but I remember they had quite a good selection of mandolins at that time. It was 550 to buy then but I'm sure the price has gone up in recent times. Depends on what you want the mandolin for I'm sure. I use it for traditional music. If it's more of a backing instrument then an f hole would probably suit you better. I know it's harder to find high quality f hole mandolins though, they are all mass produced.

www.moonguitars.co.uk is the website for his stuff. Handmade and fab! (A quick look there showed me the expense of his items too!)

hmm, I always thought that the f-soundhole mandolins were better for projection over the oval soundhole mandos. Though I intend on putting a pickup in it, as I play it with a band. But I would also be keen to use it for sit down sessions. So, maybe an oval soundhole would be good regardless, as I'd be putting a pickup in it.

I hear that they say you shouldn't use an oval soundhole mando for bluegrass....:confused:

F holes were designed specifically for bluegrass as far as I'm aware... the original mandolin was oval hole :)
    I'd always go with oval hole, I've always found the sound far better, the tone more so. It is less of an introverted sound, if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

my problem is I love those bluegrass mandolins as much as the Irish trad ones....yikes....

I love the choppy sound off the fstyle bluegrass mandos, but from what I have heard online of the oval soundhole mandos, they have a nice lower register.

I use a cheap crafter semi acoustic, and if there is one thing that grates me about it, is the high end, and lots of it, so maybe an oval soundhole is the way to go (with a pickup in it). I'll have a go of both when the chance arises...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Crowleys down here in cork has a fair selection of em...

Red Storm wrote: »
    Crowleys down here in cork has a fair selection of em...

didn't know that. I know the shop, bought lots of stuff there down the years, but haven't been there in at least 6 or 7 months or more. Must check it out...

Good luck with getting one you really like. I can only say I'd ever go for an oval. F holes sound strange to me, the depth of the sound is not as good.

Let us know when you find your mando! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

seachto7 wrote: »
    It seems most music shops stock a few low end mandolins, maybe 1 or 2 expensive ones and that's about it. I have yet to come across a shop that does a good range of mid to high level mandolins.
    I would love to make the step up and get a decent one, but there doesn't seem to be the option of trying out 4 or 5 A style mandolins, then 4 or 5 F style mandolins to see which I would prefer. Neck size could vary etc...

Maybe the way to go is to get one handmade, but you're talking about serious money here.....I only want to spend around €500, but even at that level, there's not a whole lot around and that includes shops in Dublin. I could be wrong, but if someone could beg to differ, it would be great....

You should try here http://www.moloneymusic.com

cheers nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FilMac

seachto7 wrote: »
    nice one cheers, I'm down south, but would not be bothered getting in the car...
    a bit way over my budget but I'll email them anyways...

Hi
    I would give Piseog in Cork a shout. Yes they are handmade but they seem to have Mandolins for all pocket depths!
    Their site is www.piseog.com

Advertisement