Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding stars and planets

Options
  • 08-11-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Well lads and gals, i got that astromaster 130eq, the only thing I can see is the moon. Im impressed with it for the price but im having trouble finding stars and planets. The finder scope is rubbish. I know I have to find a star or a planet then tune in the finder scope but I can locate any. There in the sky, i can see them but not through the scope. Im using 20mm and 10mm eye peices, should the focuser be in fully or out? Any tips would be great. Are they any meet ups around the kilkenny area or surrounding counties coming up? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

You need to adjust the finder scope first! There's usually some screws or knobs around that finder scope. Have a look at the manual for instructions. I'd advise focusing your scope on a stationary ground object like a distant light/house/streetlight and then adjusting your finderscope into that position. Using things like the moon is a pain in the ass as they move fairly quickly across the sky when you're watching them through the scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Actually thats a good idea, thanks! Never thought of that. I might focus on a terrestrial object during day light.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Do you mind me asking where did you get the scope?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Don't forget that when you change eyepiece you have to change the focus position.
    Think about it like this: the main (front) lens assembly has a fixed focal length so beams from "infinity" all get focussed onto some point P in the tube near the eyepiece end. The eyepiece, also with fixed focal length, needs to be placed so that its focus is at (near) P. If you have an eyepiece with 20 mm focal length set up and change to a 10 mm, then you need to use the focussing knob to shorten the tube by 10 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Remember, the longer the focal lenght of the eyepiece the LESS the magnification (hence the wider the field of view). To find the magnification, divide the focal lenght of your ocular lens into that of your scope. To find the focal lenght of your scope, have a look at it's specs in your manual.

Focal Lenght of Scope/Focal Lenght of Lens = Magnification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Take the advice in earlier posts, get that finder scope aligned but if you have a clear sky in the next few weeks you have no excuse not to get a view of Jupiter. It's the big bright thing low-to-middle in the southern sky, moving towards the west as the night progresses. With a 20 mm eyepiece you can easily just "eye up" the telescope in the right direction by looking along its length on the side and above, if you know what I mean. The field of view should be wide enough to get the planet in view and you can then centre it and enjoy the result. You'll notice it drifting slowly out of view due to the Earth turning but it's slow enough at 20 mm (assuming a telescope focal length of about 1 m, you're at 50x magnification).
    If you want to switch to the 10 mm lens you'd be best "leading" the drift a bit then in quick succession switching lenses and shortening the tube using focussing knob while getting your eye to the eyepiece. Might take a in or two to get right.
    Course you could just align your finder scope... ;-)

Advertisement