Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy eating poo

Options
  • 08-11-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

my pup keeps eating her poo..is there a reason for this?also she may have worms as she is dragging her bottom off the floor :( can anyone recommend a good wormer?shes a chihuahua 13 weeks old

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

meisha i would bring him to the vet & they will recommend a good wormer for your pup suitable for his size & age. In the mean time buy some white pepper & soon as you see the pup doing a poo sprinkle the pepper on the poo, he'll stop going anywhere near it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Some pineapple added to their food also turns them off eating their poo. Seeing as she's only little, a small amount finely chopped up will do. It taints the smell of their poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some pups will eat anything even pepper our guy has chewed on peppercorns that dropped on the floor. I'd go with the pineapple better still freezing the pineapple will help with cooling the gums when teething as well.

Dragging the butt could be to do with the anal glands or worms.

Parazole is a gentle wormer for pups, have a chat to the vet nurse about it when you go in to get some.

If she's been on a worming schedule (if bought from a breeder worming should have been well started) then just keep to the routine, be careful not to over do worming medication either.

If in doubt the vet will put you on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

im pretty sure eating excrement is because of a vitamin deficiency,what do u feed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

heno86 wrote: »
    im pretty sure eating excrement is because of a vitamin deficiency,what do u feed?

I don't think it's a vitamin deficiency as my three dogs are fed the same food yet is only the youngest (aged 2) who eats poo - and not her own but those of the eldest. Tried pineapple but that didn't work. Will be following the eldest and sprinkling white pepper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Nutritional deficiencies can trigger a dog to eat feces. Dogs who are attracted to the feces of herbivores are often deficient in vitamin B, for instance. This can result from intestinal mal-absorption disorders, malnutrition and parasite infestations. So in many cases, providing a multi-vitamin supplement and a healthy diet, with fresh food components can help lessen the urge to eat stools.
    Puppies often tend to develop this habit and many researchers believe that this is the result of experimentation due to natural puppy curiosity. Others believe that when the puppy’s rapid rate of growth requires more vitamins and minerals than are contained in the dog’s diet, he will seek out alternate sources of nutrition. In many cases, vitamin supplementation, combined with behavior modification efforts can resolve this issue.
    Female dogs, particularly pregnant bitches, mothers with puppies and un-spayed females in heat, are prone to coprophagy. This is due to an instinctual maternal urge to hide the puppies from predators and eating their feces is one way to conceal the puppies’ existence. Therefore, the mother may eat the feces of her puppies, or even housemates in the case of a dog without puppies. Behavioral modification training is most often effective with these cases.
    Stress and anxiety is known to trigger coprophagy. In situations of stress, many dogs tend to be more prone to exhibit this behavior, and if a dog has previously dealt with coprophagy, the behavior is more likely to resurface during a period of anxiety or stress. For cases such as these, behavioral modification techniques tend to be most effective in treating this problem.
    Improper discipline can lead to coprophagy as well. Behaviorists have found that dogs who have been subject to improper discipline techniques concerning bathroom habits can lead an animal to believe that defecating is inappropriate, and therefore, they will eat their feces in order to avoid discipline. Utilizing proper bathroom training techniques is vital to avoid complications such as this.

Read more: http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_is_my_dog_eating_poop#ixzz0WN4yeeQz

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

tinned pineapple sometimes works but i recommend potty mouth. its a capsule you put in their food and it makes there poop taste nasty. not like its nasty enough already....

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Puppies eat their own poo cause they are used to seeing the mother dog do it for them. Its her way of keeping their pen or house clean. There are other reasons, like vitamin deficiencies and such but What i just said isone of the main reasons..Once your dog poops, pick it up yourself before your pup gets a chance to scoff it. Should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Also try pineapple juice. After a few few days they wont even look at it anymore

Advertisement