Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIN7: Change location od documents folder.

• 08-11-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I am having some issues with this. I'm coming from XP and was able to change the location of the "My Documents" folder by simply right-clicking on it and entering the new location in the properties window.

Windows 7 seems to be a little more complicated though. I have gone into the documents settings window and added the new location and set is as default. Whenever a save dialog box opens it is still pointing to the c:\users\<username>

How can I change this?

It seems that the properties I have changed are just to specify what to include in "Documents" folder but not the actual location of the main "Documents Folder".

I like to change this to a different drive just to be safe.

Has anybody had this resolved?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

When you click on your My Documents folder on the desktop you will see the list of folders. You need to right click on each one individually and change the location. Choose to copy the contents to the new one. You can also use the Library funtion where you can add multiple folders under each library item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

techguy wrote: »

It seems that the properties I have changed are just to specify what to include in "Documents" folder but not the actual location of the main "Documents Folder".

I like to change this to a different drive just to be safe.

Has anybody had this resolved?

This?

http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html

Also, "just to be safe"? Safe from what? I fail to understand how moving the MyDocuments folder to another drive is safer than leaving it alone. Surely it'll cause hassle in the long run when programs you install just assume your My Documents folder is at C:\Users\<Username> and not another drive.
    It resides on a hard drive no matter where you put it. Hard drives are prone to mechanical failure, no matter which one it's on. Surely a better plan might be to back up the data in that folder to a folder on another hard drive - after all what are the chances you'll have two hard drive failures in a short space of time? Periodic backups can be accomplished with Task Manager and a knowledge of the copy program/Batch files.

To be honest I sort of see this as a sledgehammer vs a nail thing, it'd never ever cross my mind to relocate My Documents under any circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

By safe I really mean safe from the consequences of my tinkering with Windows a little too much.

Basically, If my Windows installation becomes corrupt I can simply format the hd and reinstall, while knowing that "My Documents" are stored on another drive(A).

This other drive I speak of is paired with another drive of the same size(B). I then use robocopy in a batch file that runs a few times a day to backup A to B.

So i'm pretty much doing as you say already!

That link was spot on, thanks!

Advertisement