Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build new Gaming PC - Have case, power, dvd drive, monitor

Options
  • 08-11-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi,
    I cheated and asked my brother and he told me to ask here :)
    Im looking to buy parts for my other half for Christmas.
    He likes building his computer but his old one is not good enough anymore.
    He already has most of the equipment, but would need the following

Hes got a 650w power supply, atx case, dvd burner, 22 inch monitor, disks.

He needs a new Motherboard (with sound etc), Quad cpu, Ram, GRaphics card, maybe a 1TB disk. This computer is mainly for games. Ive got him the new Call of duty game, so it needs to run that and any new games in the next year or so. Will be running Windows 7.

Budget €500. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Hes got a 650w power supply, atx case, dvd burner, 22 inch monitor, disks.

Glad to help, but the important question is which Power Supply. Not all PSU are created equal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Glad to help, but the important question is which Power Supply. Not all PSU are created equal :)

thanks.
    Just checked.

Its AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI, SATA, Dimension mm(163x150x85) 20+4 pin

thanks.
    Just checked.

Its AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI, SATA, Dimension mm(163x150x85) 20+4 pin

Hmm, not a brand PSU. However, I think we can work with it :)

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 UD3
    Processor: Core i5 750
    Ram: Kingston 4GB kit
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
    Total: £356.50/€398 Delivered.

As for the Graphics card, I am not sure, as that PSU only has one 6pin PCIe power connector and I am not up to speed on the lower end ATi cards atm, so I cannot really give a recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

As for the Graphics card, I am not sure, as that PSU only has one 6pin PCIe power connector and I am not up to speed on the lower end ATi cards atm, so I cannot really give a recommendation.

4770 Should do the trick. Only one 6 pin PCIe required AFAIK.

Will the 4770 be ok to run the new CoD et al? (Again, I haven't a Clue about outdated low end tech j/k)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Whats the best graphics card for that setup for about €200?

Thanks.

Thanks guys.

Thanks.
    €200? I really, REALLY want to say a ATi 5850, but they need 2 PCIe connectors :(
    The 4770 should be fine though, unless you are willing to drop another €100 on a new PSU >.>

Thanks guys.

Thanks.

The best would probably be a 4890. Edit: A 275 would be pretty good aswell.

However, I don't think that PSU can support it, so unless you're willing got spend an additional €100 on top of the graphics card I'd stick with the 4770.

Thanks for your help guys.
    If i went with the 4890, any recommendations for a new power supply?

God i hope im not giving him too much building to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Hey Kooli,

I'd like to hear what the specs are in his current pc, as there just could be something bottlenecking the performance.

So what is the current cpu and gpu?

On a side note, the i5 is really a very expensive platform and if all he wants to do is play games then an AMD quad would certainly be a more cost affective option also with gaming there would be little or no performance increase with an i5 over even a fast dual core proc.(in 95+% of games)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not 100% sure but I think the AXP 630W maxes out around 41A on the combined 12V rails, putting it somewhere near a 550W Corsair etc. PSU. Downside is that its very old (or rather, based on a very old Superflower/SFC) at this stage, and comes with relatively few modern connectors. You could in theory run a modern quad and a single heavy-duty graphics card off it if you could scrape together enough PCIe connectors...

Solitaire wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I think the AXP 630W maxes out around 41A on the combined 12V rails, putting it somewhere near a 550W Corsair etc. PSU. Downside is that its very old (or rather, based on a very old Superflower/SFC) at this stage, and comes with relatively few modern connectors. You could in theory run a modern quad and a single heavy-duty graphics card off it if you could scrape together enough PCIe connectors...

Molex to PCIe be reliable on an old thing like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Lemann Russ: dude, the i5 is a great chip, but relax a bit, you don't need to recommend it for every single build.

jonny72 wrote: »
    Lemann Russ: dude, the i5 is a great chip, but relax a bit, you don't need to recommend it for every single build.

Sure I do :D I am hardly gonna say "Well, the i5 is the best chip for the price around atm, but nah, go for this poorer AMD chip instead".

Sure I do :D I am hardly gonna say "Well, the i5 is the best chip for the price around atm, but nah, go for this poorer AMD chip instead".

He has a point. I've used my i7 in situations where it absolutely trounces the i5 for performance, but I don't harp on about it constantly :p

The i5 isn't for everyone, it's especially not needed for most things either!
    The best proc for the price? Probably! But not when you factor the cost of the motherboard too...

An AMD build would give equal performance in pretty much every game to come for a number of years for a lot less money

Effluo wrote: »
    The i5 isn't for everyone

At the moment, the i5 isn't for anyone :P

I'd look at it a bit more favourably when they stop blowing up :D

But, seriously, what is this idea that i5>>>P2? An X4-940e should keep up nicely with an i5-750 unless you play the Adobe card :rolleyes: (and wtf is with that issue anyway?!) An i7-860 is far better, but that's because it's faster, has HT and is coincidentally a helluva lot pricier too! And most people only gawp at the apps benchmarks and ignore the gaming ones. Y'know, the ones where the i7 is practically neck-and-neck with those tawdry lower-class Phenom2 oiks? ;)

I'd look at it a bit more favourably when they stop blowing up :D
    That's what i've been meaning to post/learn up a bit more about.
    Anyone any nice links to how serious a problem this is?
    oiks?

nice

That's what i've been meaning to post/learn up a bit more about.
    Anyone any nice links to how serious a problem this is?

Don't worry, it's not a problem unless you are using LN2 or DIce

Now im confused :)

• Advertisement

Now im confused :)

Kooli answer the questions about the current rig and stuff

Kooli, ignore Leman. He's off-topic and wrong :P

Kooli, ignore Leman. He's off-topic and wrong :P

Will do :)
    Any suggestions on a power supply for that 4980 graphics card?

Thanks.

Kooli it's very important that you tell us all the specs of the current rig, this way we can tell what needs to be upgrade and what will be good for gaming!

Kooli it's very important that you tell us all the specs of the current rig, this way we can tell what needs to be upgrade and what will be good for gaming!

Hi Effluo,
    All i know about it is whats in my first post.
    Im not good with techie stuff.

I was just trying to price a build for you, and it's quite tough to know what to do!

A new psu or not? A 4890 would be nice, i also guess an Phenom IIx4 maybe the 2.8ghz? Which motherboard + ram. The budget gets very tight!

Would be very beneficial if we knew what he currently had. Is it worth the suprise that he may end up with not as good a machine as he could have had?

Maybe you should tell him and he might like to post here? Either that or you do some serious investigation work and find out his full system specs!

I'll let others have a go at pricing, but i'd hate to see you waste €100 or that.

Thanks guys.
    Ive ordered these and the 4770.
    Ebuyer sure dont make it easy for you to buy from them when you are in Ireland.

oh well

The 4770 was a good choice of card for the psu though.

He should be very happy with all that and it will last him for a good while to come!

Make sure his next upgrade is the psu though! He doesn't need a bigger one(even a 400watt would do) just a better one.

Advertisement