Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shark Fishing

Options
  • 08-11-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Just started to fishing for shark at the end of the season caught one did not get to see it broke the steel trace fealt very big, does the steel trace need to be stonger? How big do sharks get of the south coast? What type are they? Is there any restrictions on what you can catch, Is there any point in keeping them, I have lots more questions if anyone has the answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

More than likely Blue Sharks or Tope and should NOT keep them under any circumstance. Why would you want to keep them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

most likely sharks in the south are blues. but always a chance for portbeagle or sixgills too. and baskings of course but not too likely to be hooking one of them on purpose.

you dont need mental heavy tackle for them either. a decent 30lb class setup and some patience will do.

and fred was right in saying (see what i did there) that they shouldnt be kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 john p

I was thinking of eating them is there a law against that, I have heard that the six gill are protected, what about the others, I tasted blue before its not bad. I would not kill anything out of season,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Given what the OP has just said i would recommend that he be given no more advice on how to catch threatened species for his tea.

There is no law just common sense.

tin79 wrote: »
    Given what the OP has just said i would recommend that he be given no more advice on how to catch threatened species for his tea.

There is no law just common sense.

I Know I am in the wrong place here, I have moved on to fishing sites for more info, This must be the "do gooders" & "Tree Huggers" by the way I bounht a new 27 foot Fast fisher today in the UK has a winch for lifting in Sharks and I thinking of putting a Harpun Gun on it, Well i am off to the extreme fishing site need to find out what is the story with regards Whales:pac:

• Advertisement

Good for you. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

By the way the word "ecosystem" look it up you might learn something. And when you tuck into those sharks let us know how the PCBs taste.

BTW you do know that whales are not fish dont you? and you do know what a mammal is? So good luck finding info on an extreme fishing site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

i think but i could be wrong that if your keeping shark you would need to have a box with ice with you or the meat goes of pretty quick, ( as i said i could be wrong but check before you bring some home)
    happy hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

john p wrote: »

I bounht a new 27 foot Fast fisher today in the UK

I thinking of putting a Harpun Gun on it

There are probably any number of clever and witty things that could be said about this guy, but I think his spelling and masterful use of the English language says more than I ever could!:confused::eek::P

There are probably any number of clever and witty things that could be said about this guy, but I think his spelling and masterful use of the English language says more than I ever could!:confused::eek::P

Ok yank you got me on that one, I should at least look at what I type, but a Yank "if you are from the USA"to comment on the English Language and spelling ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i just want to see a pic of OP trying to tow a dead sperm whale behind a 27 footer.

god.. id die happy to be down at the pier and see him trying to go by with it tied up behind

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Come on we all know this guy no more bought a boat than I just bought a space ship. Troll alert, anyways hopefully in the name of irony a shark will eat him instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I Know I am in the wrong place here, I have moved on to fishing sites for more info, This must be the "do gooders" & "Tree Huggers" by the way I bounht a new 27 foot Fast fisher today in the UK has a winch for lifting in Sharks and I thinking of putting a Harpun Gun on it, Well i am off to the extreme fishing site need to find out what is the story with regards Whales:pac:

Why not eat a few dozzen Corncrakes while you are at it? they make great bait for blue sharks, spray this on them, will drive sharks mad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

entertaining:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Ok yank you got me on that one, I should at least look at what I type, but a Yank "if you are from the USA"to comment on the English Language and spelling ?

Hey you guys might have invented it, but we perfected it!!:D:eek:

Advertisement