Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Problems? (Surprise Surprise)

• 08-11-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having problems with their Eircom BB at the moment? Mines after dropping the DSL connection and now it's just intermittent..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Yeah it seems to be the same for alot of people on the northside of Dublin, in recent days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah been having the same problems, I'm glad it's not just me as Eircom where trying to tell me it is to do with my phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

I haven't used their DNS in months but the connection is still barely usable for long periods, generally happens in the evenins and early hours. Connections timing out (including sometimes to the OpenDNS servers), bandwidth dropping and latency spikes.

I wonder if the Minister knows the broadband system of much of the State (granted, the business infrastructure may not be affected as badly) is seemingly
    barely functional for long periods every week.

I know the media covered the DNS hacking issue but I'm not sure anybody has written anything about the ongoing problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

How do I take advantage of Open DNS servers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Do NOT use Open DNS,
    http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=955999&cid=24909591

Why you people are still with the WORST broadband provider in Ireland is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Do NOT use Open DNS,

Why you people are still with the WORST broadband provider in Ireland is beyond me.

Thing is this you an own personal view and is not backed up by reality, if Eircom was the worst provider we'd have numerous threads complaining about them but in reality we only have the odd one now and then.

How people can call them the worst is also funny when they are still using the exact same product if they go with UTV, Vodafone etc as its a resold eircom wholesale product.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do NOT use Open DNS,

The guy quoting there recommends against OpenDNS, yet then goes on to recommend the Level3 DNS servers ignorant of their nature and status. They're not meant for public use for good reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

OpenDNS is grand for regular users. They're no worse than many other sites you'd use regularly in manipulating data, while being pretty reliable in the basic service of DNS. That's all 90% of people care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Do NOT use Open DNS,

Because I'm paying almost nothing on it. Otherwise they'd be gone.

OpenDNS do not redirect all of my Google queries. I also know how to use my web browser, therefore the second issue never arises for me. It also makes life a bit easier for my parents and others in the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder if the Minister knows the broadband system of much of the State (granted, the business infrastructure may not be affected as badly) is seemingly barely functional for long periods every week.

eircom is working just fine in Galway and all services are tickety boo. were it not my phone would be hopping .

The minister simply does not care , not in the slightest . He is blissfully happy that the market is delivering a world class service to Dublin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is this you an own personal view and is not backed up by reality, if Eircom was the worst provider we'd have numerous threads complaining about them but in reality we only have the odd one now and then.

How people can call them the worst is also funny when they are still using the exact same product if they go with UTV, Vodafone etc as its a resold eircom wholesale product.

I don't want to turn this into an Eircom bashing thread etc,

But I say they are the worst ISP for a number of reasons, mainly:

Blocking The Pirate Bay (which I do NOT use), its the principle, also all these threads for downtime. People who ring Eircom and get told "oh its a problem with your phone line" when in fact they dont want to admit larger problems.

This is Irelands big problem, saying "oh suprise suprise Eircom is down again" - do something about it then ffs- vote with your feet and move to a better ISP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

in most of ireland there is no choice

if the line is borked, thats eircom
    if the exchange is congested thats eircom

only 10% of the state has alternative dsl , all large towns and cities .

eircom itself rarely borks save on a local or regional basis, the DNS attack was a most unusual outage for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Had no connection at all last night for about 25 mins.......complete pain, but no mention of outages around the place.......I don't remember, but they used to have a Status page that never had any updates on it either......

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rathbaner

Thousands of homes and businesses lost internet and phone access at lunchtime when a fibreoptic cable in the Roslevin area of Co Westmeath was severed. Eircom said that the damaged cable affected 20,000 people in the region, but there was speculation that the exact figure was far greater.

from Western People newspaper today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

rathbaner wrote: »
    Thousands of homes and businesses lost internet and phone access at lunchtime when a fibreoptic cable in the Roslevin area of Co Westmeath was severed. Eircom said that the damaged cable affected 20,000 people in the region, but there was speculation that the exact figure was far greater.

from Western People newspaper today
    Partly explain why my internet is slow and sometimes times out on me today.

ETA: I'm not in Athlone, I'm in Mullingar.

Advertisement