Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you prepared to give to get the country out of this mess?

• 08-11-2009 10:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

I see, I see, I see lots of people complaining, moaning and showing plenty of begrudgery in recent weeks around what has to be done and who should pay. I think we all have to pay something. Everyone, the rich, the lowest earners, and those on welfare included to save the country from collapse. Without going into arguments about who is responsible....blah blah blah what are you prepared to take so the country gets back on it's feet? Everyone has to give something. A tax hike? A pay cut? A wage freeze?

Basically how much pain are you willing to take for the good of the country? (if it means in 5 years time we are out of the mess and can rebuild the economy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

However much it costs to get a flight outta here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

**** all. I'll take.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Three fiddy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I would like to further qualify the OP by saying no one has a choice. Your getting raped either way on budget day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Il give someone a sniper rifle and 30 round of ammo............maybe that will sort out our "leaders"...

... a change in Government would be a start...

...or IF our "leaders" took a substantial 50-60% pay cut and worked for us for a change!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

jumpguy wrote: »
    However much it costs to get a flight outta here tbh.

i'm with you i've been thinking more and more lately.

at most i'd be willing to take a pay freeze, although i'm still finding it hard to grasp why i & lots of others who didn't get greedy in the good times should have to pay for the sins of those who did (whoever they are, i won't get into blame or arguments about this like you asked :pac:). i know the country needs to be rebuilt for the good of everyone but speaking honestly the begrudger inside me doesn't think it's very fair & i should just fly out of here and leave them in the mess they made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm on a wage freeze for a year now. Have a pension which is not worth much and don't have the guaranteed security of a job nor do I have the privilege of having a Friday afternoon off to walk the streets.

So yeh, you can guess which sector i'm in so its about time another certain sector contributed their share of pain as after all their employer is broke :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

benwavner wrote: »
    Il give someone a sniper rifle and 30 round of ammo............maybe that will sort out our "leaders"...

... a change in Government would be a start...

...or IF our "leaders" took a substantial 50-60% pay cut and worked for us for a change!

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why should Joe Soap endure any more pain while the upper enchalant are living it up on our money?

I'm willing to go to prison and get bum raped if it means we can get rid of those cnuts

Mmcd wrote: »
    Three fiddy!

i can't give a thumbs up/thanks yet, but this made me laugh!

i ain’t giving you no tree fiddy you goddamn loch ness monster, get your own goddamn money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

darkman2 wrote: »
    Without going into arguments about who is responsible....blah blah blah what are you prepared to take so the country gets back on it's feet? Everyone has to give something. A tax hike? A pay cut? A wage freeze?

Nothing, you've just cut out a very large point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Irish people are always complaining,Were a nation of moaners!

So even if things are good or bad we'll still bitc:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am happy with what I have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I want the army to move in, take over Leinster House, lock the whole lot of them up in the Curragh, and lets start again, twasnt for this that brave people died 90 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PureTallent

What would I be prepared to take so the country gets back on its feet?
    Id be prepared to see the NAMA money getting spent on something actually worthwhile, like renewable energy sources. Maybe we could actually try and use the ridiculous amount of wind we have to create jobs, become energy independant and maybe actually in time export the energy. Id be prepared to see the money spent on something with long term gains for all rather than short term gains for the property developers and bankers who got us in this mess along with the puppet government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

A tax hike? A pay cut? A wage freeze?

Tax hike: Already done, along with most of the fools still working in this country.
    A wage freeze: Done. Didn't really have a choice. Nice of my company to make that decision for me. True (multi-million-in-profits-making-despite-this-recession) patriots so they are.

What are you willing to do, OP?

Why should Joe Soap endure any more pain while the upper enchalant are living it up on our money?

Presumably because the pain now is nothing compared to the pain that everyone will go through should the country sink and become unstable. Imagine one day soon there could well be no money to pay for anything. The country is in such trouble now that it could just fail. I agree it is not fair but that is the way it is. Not like there is many rich people left anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

My right nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm prepared to give some constructive* criticism.

*criticism may not be constructive but abusive.

Karoma wrote: »

What are you willing to do, OP?

Well, I would not go so far as to give up my Trophy house :P but would not mind paying a few percentage points more in tax - but NOT to keep public servants in work. That is not the idea. Id want to see a good number of them sacked tbh. They all have to take pay cuts aswell. Marching just makes private sector wealth creating majority angry esspecially about civil servant's secure, pensionable, conditions of employment which most don't have. If I, or you, or other private sector people take a pay cut then so should they.

That is the basis upon which I am prepared to contribute anyway.

• Advertisement

R0ot wrote: »
    My right nut.

now that's dedication to your country!

if someone would donate a left one perhaps we could fix brian cowen up with a pair so he'd stand up to those bankers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

whatever lenihan b. gives up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was made redundant last week so I think I've given up enough already.

old boy wrote: »
    whatever lenihan b. gives up.

There is a rumour they will take a massive paycut....just a rumour mind...

Aidric wrote: »
    I was made redundant last week so I think I've given up enough already.

Sorry to hear that. But if a public sector poster came on and said this I would only then believe we were on our way to fixing the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

Those immigints a a ticket back home :mad::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sorry to hear that. But if a public sector poster came on and said this I would only then believe we were on our way to fixing the situation.

I wasn't public sector.

Presumably because the pain now is nothing compared to the pain that everyone will go through should the country sink and become unstable. Imagine one day soon there could well be no money to pay for anything. The country is in such trouble now that it could just fail. I agree it is not fair but that is the way it is. Not like there is many rich people left anyway!

I'm not even talking about the rich people, sure those poor fcukers are on the cusp of the shitstorm that we're facing atm, with higher taxes and lower wealth

it's the whores in charge that are living it up, those so worried about 'us' (:rolleyes:) that they're willing to financially cripple a sizable proportion of society in order to allow others to keep on borrowing

plenty of public servants have already lost jobs through their contracts not being renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm out of here, I'm not paying off NAMA for the next 30 years or so and listening to some other clown from the EU during the week we should be taxed more and paid less. F**k that, to keep over-payed, 3 working days a week TD's and ministers in a job? I don't think so, this place is as corrupt as hell now. Another thing, why aren't the protest marchs targeting the Bankers as much as the private sector? I just don't get that, it was the bankers who f**ked up big time and are still getting bonuses for that. If this place was France they'd be dragging bankers and politicans through the streets about now but as a friend of mine said recently "We'd have had a revolution in this country years ago if we could get someone else to do it for us". How true, so much for the fighting Irish.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

plenty of public servants have already lost jobs through their contracts not being renewed.

well,boo fookin hoo, **** em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

A fuck.

Aidric wrote: »
    I wasn't public sector.

That's what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

jackncoke wrote: »

Less of that please.

This is a discussion forum, not a playground. If you have a point to make, do it using words instead of asterisks.

really? that's what you think? just because they happened to have lost a public servant job we should feel less bad for them than anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Everyone has to give something.

We give the most important thing, our opinions, and they are argued with and for the most part ignored by our government.

We can keep giving till the arse falls out of our trousers but what's the point? I'm sick to death of it. Bring it on, it's like waiting for test results you know youre not going to pass...just get it over with.

The average Joe soap, for the most part, didint ride the celtic wave and now it's turning round to destroy our sandcastles.

Throwing more money at this government is like trying to fill a bath with two taps on and the plug out! Get the fcuking plug back in, then ask us for more.

junkyard wrote: »
    I'm out of here, I'm not paying off NAMA for the next 30 years or so and listening to some other clown from the EU during the week we should be taxed more and paid less. F**k that, to keep over-payed, 3 working days a week TD's and ministers in a job? I don't think so, this place is as corrupt as hell now. Another thing, why aren't the protest marchs targeting the Bankers as much as the private sector? I just don't get that, it was the bankers who f**ked up big time and are still getting bonuses for that. If this place was France they'd be dragging bankers and politicans through the streets about now but as a friend of mine said recently "We'd have had a revolution in this country years ago if we could get someone else to do it for us". How true, so much for the fighting Irish.:rolleyes:

it's funny how a lot of us feel this way and yet we don't do anything about it. i feel pretty freaking angry, but i keep waiting for someone else to do something. perhaps we need more leaders who are willing to stand up and ask people to follow them. i wonder why that is, we seem a bit unique as a country that way.

i like the way iceland did it a while back and demanded a new government, they had courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

DeCoR18 wrote: »
    Those immigints a a ticket back home :mad::eek:

Why spend money buying them a ticket? They're already buying their own tickets home ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I'm willing to go to prison and get bum raped if it means we can get rid of those cnuts

who are you talking about and how is it your money

Why spend money buying them a ticket? They're already buying their own tickets home ;).

The Nigerians and Muslims? Bwahahahahahhaahha haahahahahaa.

Seriously thanks for that lol:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

really? that's what you think? just because they happened to have lost a public servant job we should feel less bad for them than anyone else?

Yup,Im all for MORE jobcuts and paycuts in the public sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

A vote for the lisbon treaty.

Hell if we cant run ourselves properly may as well let europe do it.
    They couldnt f**k it up any more then we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jayo007

i reckon we bring Communism in that would get us out de rot were in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

My sunday grill-up. Yes, yes, I will give up one sundays sausages, pudding, egg, toast and tea to help my blessed nation. God bless Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yup,Im all for MORE jobcuts and paycuts in the public sector

I'm already down approx e300 a month, any more than that I will be forced to let one of the servants go. Which in turn which be another person on the dole.

Edit: to stay on topic I might offer a reduced rate on therapy services for those on the dole who take take to drugs or alcohol or just become depressed.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm already down approx e300 a month, any more than that I will be forced to let one of the servants go. Which in turn which be another person on the dole.

Alot of depts could and should be privatized tbh, it'd mean job losses and cut backs

better if there's more people recieving 204 euro per week from tax payers rather than 400+ per week... just my opinion

FYP btw im not a racist but........:)

Lol too good.:D

Elessar wrote: »
    My sunday grill-up. Yes, yes, I will give up one sundays sausages, pudding, egg, toast and tea to help my blessed nation. God bless Ireland.

We need more like you *salutes*

jayo007 wrote: »
    i reckon we bring Communism in that would get us out de rot were in

The countries full of Marxists already shouldn't be too hard to do :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rabbits George

Im going give up me auld sins !!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement