Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to (re)sign up for Meteor

• 08-11-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

So I was with Meteor a few years back, but since the ol' noggin ain't what it used to be, I'm struggling to remember what sort of service I got etc. I vaguely remember them being grand to deal with, and o2 being a bit of a culture shock but I don't know what they're like now.

I'm switching from an o2 clear plan (175 mins + 100 text + 100 text add on=44 approx.) to Meteor Connect €25 (200 mins + 200 texts) with most of the other charges the same.

So can anyone tell me whether I'm making the right choice, or if there's anything I ought to know about Meteor before I switch to them. I'm a bit clueless with all of this, so be gentle.:)

Also, being a Sony Ericsson devotee I'm thinking of getting the c902 as my handset. Anyone got any thoughts on that phone? It looks good to me because it's slim, and SE haven't let me down in the past.

Cheers in advance,
    brophs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I'm sure you will be ok switching back. If you had any major issues you would remember. most meteor customers here seen to be happy with the service overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'm really tempted to switch back myself, more specifically for the hero handset they've released. However, I was with meteor up until a few months back, after being with them for years, and the service a few months up to when I switched was dire - incoming calls going straight to voicemail despite my phone not being out of coverage, texts not coming through, texts taking ages to send, calls breaking up and dropping out. It wasn't just my phone either - switched over to vodafone and haven't had any problems since - and a number of my mates suffer the same problems on meteor. Maybe it's just my area though (Templeogue) but for me, I'm very wary of switching back. Plus, with the amount of people I imagine are switching over to their new billpay plans and for the hero, it's putting ever more pressure on what appears to be an already very busy network capacity wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I have always been a big Meteor fan.

I have had no problems with them at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If you've got 3G coverage with them where you are then go for it.
    I haven't had any problems with them - they were very slow with an unlock code but that's not a biggie.
    €5 data bundle isn't bad value either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

long_b wrote: »
    If you've got 3G coverage with them where you are then go for it.
    I haven't had any problems with them - they were very slow with an unlock code but that's not a biggie.
    €5 data bundle isn't bad value either.

How is their 3G coverage? I'm seriously thinking of the Hero but get the feeling that my area (Cobh, Co. Cork) isn't covered. I got a Meteor SIM the other day to check coverage and it indicated fair EDGE coverage (same os O2) - but I thought Metor didn't do EDGE??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

How is their 3G coverage? I'm seriously thinking of the Hero but get the feeling that my area (Cobh, Co. Cork) isn't covered. I got a Meteor SIM the other day to check coverage and it indicated fair EDGE coverage (same os O2) - but I thought Metor didn't do EDGE??!!

The coverage map that I have attached looks like you would be covered but try to test it out with somebody who has Meteor 3G phone. Meteor and o2 are the only networks that do EDGE I think (correct me if I'm wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks for that. I popped the Meteor SIM into my 3G phone so I'm guessing the coverage here is poor. This ain't a surprise - my house seems to be in some sort of big bloody hole or something with poor coverage from all operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Kensington wrote: »
    and the service a few months up to when I switched was dire - incoming calls going straight to voicemail despite my phone not being out of coverage, texts not coming through, texts taking ages to send, calls breaking up and dropping out. It wasn't just my phone either - switched over to vodafone and haven't had any problems since.

im having the exact same problems with meteor in cork...in cork city center my signal is non-existent. Ive changed phones from Sony E to nokia to samsung because they insisted it was the phones. im now in the process of possibly moving to vodafone. if you want cheap calls and texts meteor is the best so long as your prepared to lose calls and spend 2 minutes of calls asking if they can hear you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've been all 4 networks (not counting tesco mobile) and I have to say Metoers been the best in terms of price. Vodafone/O2 were top notch for the signal, Meteors been a bit low lately but its getting more steady the last few days. Back on track :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Meteor and O2 both do EDGE.
    Where I live I get a strong 3G signal on Meteor but only EDGE speeds. You could live with EDGE for mostly text based site browing/emails I guess.
    i tend to do most of my browsing over my home Wifi anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement